Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Recent problems with Trinity / Forums
Recent problems with Trinity / Forums

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Recent problems with Trinity / Forums

Ed, et al,

I was unable to access Trinity.neooffice.com forums about 9-11pm West Coast time, last night - April 30 2006.

This is the second of third time in the last week that I could to Planamesa or NeoWiki but Forums seemed - paused/offline. Therey were 20-30 guests and 4-8 members online just before.

Today, I got an error when I tried to post a message. Thanks for removing the Dup post for me. It kinda looks like the pattern.

During the late evening, Pacific Time, seems to be the worst. When EU is in morning and sun is setting in Australia. Maybe the load is causing problems, Network connections, or ???

I'll keep better records and post here it more happens.

tanks

Philip ( Likes talking to EU and Australia at the same time! Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...that timing is somewhat odd since it's completely inbetween CVS syncs. The CVS syncs occur at 3AM/3PM PST and, during this time, the server will become less responsive.

Do you (or anyone else) have experience with log analysis tools that might be able to at least narrow down whether it's load or something else. The load on the machine has been pretty steady and a nice low 0.5 and the machine is not swapping profusely, so I suspect it may just be a case of apache tuning to deal with higher loads.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Another thing that will slow the servers down temporarily is that I'm transferring backups of secure CVS and trinity offsite as I'm no longer on the same switch as the box. That shouldn't be happening regularly at those hours, however.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Hmm...that timing is somewhat odd since it's completely inbetween CVS syncs. The CVS syncs occur at 3AM/3PM PST and, during this time, the server will become less responsive.

Do you (or anyone else) have experience with log analysis tools that might be able to at least narrow down whether it's load or something else. The load on the machine has been pretty steady and a nice low 0.5 and the machine is not swapping profusely, so I suspect it may just be a case of apache tuning to deal with higher loads.

ed

Ed, Yes I do have some experience with (Windows IIS) Log analysis metrics tools. I use www.analog.cx at work.
Is there any way you can send me a CD-R with a (large? ) sample?

A CD would hold 600-700 MBs and that should cover a lot days worths.

PM me and we will work something out. Maybe I can have you copy the files to my .Mac account??

We will work something out.

Philip ( Did I say the out loud? Did I just volunteer?!? Shocked )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

OK, I'll try to get a sample log and get it to you. I'll try and get a snapshot of those times you say things are rough.

I also noticed today that my ISP has been hiccupping from time to time (their own web servers are going up and down at the same time as my own) so some of these issues may be due to that as well.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Tanks

Philip ( Wink )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

I just got the following error when I was going from a post to FORUMS link:

trinity.neooffice.org Forum Index
General Error

Couldn't get mail server response codes

DEBUG MODE

Line : 34
File : /htdocs/includes/smtp.php

Philip (breaking things in ... New ways Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

OK, I got that one as well a few days ago. I suspect it's due to the "notify me when a reply is posted" feature. I'll look into it. Although the smtp connections are to localhost, it wouldn't surprise me if they're timing out under heavy server loads.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, I got that one as well a few days ago. I suspect it's due to the "notify me when a reply is posted" feature. I'll look into it. Although the smtp connections are to localhost, it wouldn't surprise me if they're timing out under heavy server loads.

How long does the cvs sync take? Based on LemonAid's post's timestamp, that looks like it could *possibly* be in the cvs sync timeframe (right hour, at least)....

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Kind of on-topic, am I the only person getting Edit/Delete buttons on every single post regardless of poster at the moment?

- Padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Kind of on-topic, am I the only person getting Edit/Delete buttons on every single post regardless of poster at the moment?

Normally, users that are part of the "Council" group see those so that they can moderate or delete inappropriate e.g. spam posts.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
yoxi wrote:

Normally, users that are part of the "Council" group see those so that they can moderate or delete inappropriate e.g. spam posts.

It looks like Ed or Patrick added some new Councilmen Smile

/me quotes the sudo first-invocation warning Wink

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Yes, well, serves me right for not reading my 'messages' until after I'd posted above... I was going to make an Oscar acceptance speech, but that might confuse Oscar...

- Padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I didn't bother making any public postings 'bout it. I've been seeing an uptick in guest posting forum spam recently and haven't had time to integrate CAPTCHA or other image verification onto guest posting (phpbb uses it only for account signup, not anonymous posting, so it'll involve development work). I figured I'd add in some of the more recent vocal folk in case they wanted to help on out. They don't have to, of course Very Happy

The real trick now is trying to catch and remove forum spam ASAP as...well...it creeps into the RSS feeds and any aggregators that are respewing the rss feeds. RSS is great for low bandwidth stuff, but, unforunately, there's no negation aspect to it. It's one way pull only. Once a client has an RSS feed, there's no way for the server that provided it to mark part of that feed as useless spam. Another reason why RSS is good and bad. I really think it is teh suck that folks with RSS readers don't receive the benefits of forum moderation.

I added on LemonAid and yoxi as moderators since, not only have they been quite active on the forums, but they're also in some different time zones (yes, contrary to popular beliefs, SD CA is on "surf time", not PST). More eyes around the world can't hurt Smile

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Yes, well, serves me right for not reading my 'messages' until after I'd posted above... I was going to make an Oscar acceptance speech, but that might confuse Oscar...

No worries Smile.

Actually, I have noticed an increase in spam. Even checking infrequently I came across two or three spam messages in the last week alone. Nuked them at once, of course. I just didn't feel the need to write about it.

-Oz
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4