Recent problems with Trinity / Forums

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Actually, I have noticed an increase in spam. Even checking infrequently I came across two or three spam messages in the last week alone. Nuked them at once, of course. I just didn't feel the need to write about it.

Of late I've been zapping one a day, on average. As I've mentioned before, I grab the IP first (and the reverse DNS, if available) and drop it in a folder. When I see something that looks like a netblock come up a couple of times in that folder, I mention the IPs to Ed in the other thread, on the theory that if I've deleted spam from them a couple of times, combined we've all deleted dozens. But otherwise I, too, feel no need to comment specifically about the spam Smile

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:

yeah, with my obsessive trinity watch at work (thank you RSS) i usually get the spam pretty quickly. though i just delete it.

mostly things have been behaving for me though.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I guess I'll really need to bite the bullet and get that secondary system working. Some of the postings are now getting a little bit more social engineering-ish, putting jokes at the top and the like to try to get people to read. I wonder why these people don't have better things to do with their time.

I'd increase the delay for guest posting, but somehow I think forcing people to wait longer than the current delay time is a bit unrealistic. I don't see any real way out of the current system without adding in image verification (e.g. type the letters you see below).

In the meantime, please keep track of IPs if possible. I believe there's a "forum spam" topic. If you see any repetitive IPs or *any* smut spam, please pass along the IP so I can ban it.

Once I start analyzing logs it'll be interesting to see if the downtick in performance is a lot of these spambots trying to do the guest posting spam.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

I have noticed a sharp reduction in responsiveness of trinity and Bugzilla around the 3:00 pm anoncvs sync each day. In fact, Bugzilla seems unresponsive right now. Maybe these are related?

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...the trinity slowdown is understandable. The CVS sync winds up causing a lot of disk I/O on trinity for about 20-30 mins, and the database behind trinity winds up getting stuck in a lot of I/O waits even though internally it's ultrascsi. Should I move it back to sync only once per day? Eventually I guess the real solution is to update trinity to a more modern box...it is 8 years old, after all.

The bugzilla slowdown should be unrelated, though, as it's still on dan's servers. The DNS shouldn't be slow during that period as all of those machines are on different ports of the switch so any traffic due to the sync shouldn't interfere wiht DNS traffic.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject:

I was able to run Analog, "The most popular logfile analyser in the world" on some web logs and have provided the information to Ed.

I'm still working on this with Ed but it looks like there is some useful information in the reports.

If you need some metrics on your web sites I would strongly suggest using something like Analog.exe (Windows, BSD, Linux, .... versions) to analyze the log file created by the Web Server. It's ... very interesting (OK, to a geek like me Wink )

Philip (can't do N*Fs but I can generate some "mean" statistics(1)! Wink )

(1) Lies, Darn Lies, Statistics Twisted Evil My work here is done!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

ROFL Yeah, lying with statistics can be fun. Just look at Apple's "4x faster" claims. All I know is that this Quad G5 compiles like a bat out of hell Wink

The stat analysis on the trinity logs is very useful. Already by looking at a few trends we should be able to help increase responsiveness. While the server is still an issue at times some tweaking will definitely help.

One thing to look at for people who aren't pouring over the logs is the little "page generation time" nubmer at the bottom of the screen. That's the amount of time spent processing the PHP and spent doing the connection to the database. It's obviously longer when submitting or doing other modifications to the forums as the database does cache queries. If you're seeing a server slowdown, however, and it looks much different from that nubmer, that could be useful information to know as well. Usually it's the sign of a DDoS, but if it's happening more regularly then there might be other server things to look at.

ed

/doesn't lie with statistics, just plain lies
//hated combinatorics
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I wanted to post a brief update as to what's been going on with the server recently. Thanks to LemonAid some files that were missing are now in place (such as the favorite icon for the site...firefox/camino pick it up automatically). There's a new captcha style thing in place for anonymous posting which should help reduce anonymous forum spam. There was another registered spammer whom I deleted yesterday and IP banned the subnet. And my pizza just arrived Smile

Anyone notice any patterns in server responsiveness as of late?

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Favicon.ico

Footnote:

The little icon that shows up on the URL line in your browser, and in tabs on Mozilla derived browsers is called favicon.ico. It is cached by your browser and now that Ed have updated them on his server - it May - or May not - display. (it's a little Neo Ship icon). If it does not show on your browser it may be because it's already in cache (and other places? ).

Try purging your Browser cache.
If that does not work - you may have to delete and remap links to Trinity.Neooffice.org. I have not been able to get the icon to show on SeaMonkey bookmarks that I already have set. Embarassed
I saw some notes about doing more things to get the icon to display over at www.Favicon.com

Philip (now where did I put that Neo Ship Icon?!? Wink )
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Well, I can see the icon Smile !
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Adding to what Philip said, Gecko-based browsers have issues with favicon handling, namely that the icons are saved in cache, so they are subject to being "cached out" when cache is full and thrown away after a crash, when cache is invalidated Sad

Camino, at least, has worked around this by implementing a separate icon cache (in ~/Library/Caches/Camino/IconCache), but it often takes a few days for something to trigger actually grabbing the new icon (it's now too persistent Razz). Camino users should try trashing that folder if they're having issues. Firefox stores favicons associated with sites you've bookmarked in the bookmarks file itself; beyond that, I don't know how it behaves. SeaMonkey might do the same; I'm guessing deleting and recreating the bookmark will fix it in browsers that do that.

Safari also has a separate cache for favicons, so if you're a Safari user having problems, you might try trashing that folder, too (I hear that Safari's keeping of favicons tends to cause slowdown problems, actually).

And now for Ed Wink

1) You're serving the favicon as text/plain instead of image/x-icon, which might cause loading issues for some browsers

2) The white background of the icon looks crappy on Camino and Firefox tabs Sad If you have another few spare minutes to hack the nuke and phpBB page headers, adding
Code:
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.png" type="image/png">
will allow browsers that support PNG favicons to use one with the nice alpha features of PNG while IE and others will fall back on the favicon.ico. (There's already a 16x16 PNG-with-alpha available here, so no trip to ImageMagick required...I, on the other hand, need to update my Mac software page Razz on which that image is used.)

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the further tips! I have to run off to real job shortly but will look at them tonight now that I'm finished resurrecting the cube Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
now that I'm finished resurrecting the cube Smile

ed

Resurrected Cube, yay! Just goes to show you can't keep a good Mac down Smile

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, finally finished the software config...now I have a rather nifty guest computer in the guest room with a wireless card so it even has a network connection. Not all my guests bring computers with them Very Happy

ed
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

You let visitors fondle your cubes?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4