Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Before I can help...
Before I can help...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
static
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Before I can help...

Me again Smile

I have extensive programming experience in some aspects (and I know many languages), but I know very little about programming for mac or for large GUI apps like NeoOffice. Where do you guys suggest I start in order to best help out with NeoOffice in general?

I pick up new languages very quickly but I haven't used too many IDEs... What should I be reading?

Thanks, and I look forward to joining the team.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Well, Neo & OOo are both quite different from all other Mac programming. They don't use IDEs...both are command line built applications. The build system is pretty much custom grown, so there's not much that's applicable from other systems to it. If you're looking for something to study, you may want to start getting familiar with gdb (command line debugger). I know I get spoiled by IDEs, especially debuggers Smile Some basic JNI reading is helpful as well, but it's pretty easy to pick it up as you go. Another important thing is that, in the Java portions, there are no debugging tools since it's an embedded VM. printf debugging is helpful. Don't know...that's what comes to the top of my head.

ed
static
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Super cool

This is awesome!! I'm so happy to hear this! I'm much more comfortable in (say) vi or a simple coding text editor than a huge IDE. I will get to reading about gdb!

Thanks for the reply

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1