Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Where can I find patch release notes?
Where can I find patch release notes?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Where can I find patch release notes?

I didn't know there was an alpha patch #2 until I read someone else's post here. Where can I find release notes on what the patch covers? Someone mentioned the wiki, but I couldn't find release notes there, unless I'm too tired to be thorough...

I notice, by the way, that the readme with patch #2 (which is 9Mb) says patches can get as big as 4Mb Smile

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I only can move so fast. The fixes go out first, then the nice e-mails.

Seriously, though, you should stop by Bugzilla once in a while and all the changes are listed in the Resolved list of bugs.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:

By the way, Neo 2 alpha patch #2 fixes the 'print or export to pdf (with images)' crashing bug - thanks for sorting that out so quickly, I'd had to reinstall and revert to 1.2.2 to print out a job application form (serves me right for tidying up to quickly...) Oh, and the system font's back to normal size too. Omnia mutantur nihil interrit. You chaps are splendid (that's a British alternative to you guys rock or something).

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I only can move so fast. The fixes go out first, then the nice e-mails.

Seriously, though, you should stop by Bugzilla once in a while and all the changes are listed in the Resolved list of bugs.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as impatient (again...) - actually, I visit BZ a few times a day to see what's going on, but generally just see what's on the front page, and I haven't learned to use it the way you pointed out above. I'll go and do that now, but just out of curiosity, is there a single page somewhere that lists the release notes for sequential patches? It'd be a useful addition to the wiki if it's not there already, and I don't mind doing the work if it needs it.

Anyway, thanks again for restoring the printing/pdf thing.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as impatient (again...) - actually, I visit BZ a few times a day to see what's going on, but generally just see what's on the front page, and I haven't learned to use it the way you pointed out above. I'll go and do that now, but just out of curiosity, is there a single page somewhere that lists the release notes for sequential patches? It'd be a useful addition to the wiki if it's not there already, and I don't mind doing the work if it needs it.[/quote]

It is usually somewhere on NeoWiki. IIRC, Smokey and/or Jake take whatever I send out to the NeoJUpdate mailing release and post the gist of the e-mail in the NeoWiki. I didn't put out an e-mail Patch-1 (got sidetracked by the PDF bug) but I'll put out an e-mail before my Chinese class tonight (I still can't read any of the characters).

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Notes Smile

They're linked from the 1.2.2 Release Notes (since the rest of the web still links to those for all their Neo 1.2.2 listings) aka the "Release Notes" link on the Main Page, but maybe not prominently enough?

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha PowerPC Release Notes Smile

They're linked from the 1.2.2 Release Notes (since the rest of the web still links to those for all their Neo 1.2.2 listings) aka the "Release Notes" link on the Main Page, but maybe not prominently enough?

Hey ho, I got as far as the NeoOffice Release Notes page on the wiki last night but didn't see the "Release Notes for versions of NeoOffice available under the Early Access Program can be found here" line - see? I was too tired. As to the prominence, my problem was that I was looking for "v2 alpha" rather than "early access program" so it didn't jump out at me. I don't know if that reflects on its prominence or not.

Anyway, thanks for keeping this info up to date - FWIW I find those 'descriptive' release notes in the wiki a very useful conjunct to the 'the following bug nos. were fixed' type release notes in the email, because I find some of the bugzilla bug descriptions obscure compared to your prose descriptions in the wiki - I've now bookmarked that page, but maybe a link to it in the 'new patch' email would be a nice touch.

The readme for the alpha patches could still do with updating to reflect the larger size of the cumulative alpha patches, though, if they're up to 9Mb already (but that's just a sop to my proofreader's pride).

- padmavyuha
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
By the way, Neo 2 alpha patch #2 fixes the 'print or export to pdf (with images)' crashing bug - thanks for sorting that out so quickly, I'd had to reinstall and revert to 1.2.2 to print out a job application form (serves me right for tidying up to quickly...) Oh, and the system font's back to normal size too. Omnia mutantur nihil interrit. You chaps are splendid (that's a British alternative to you guys rock or something).

- padmavyuha

Let me guess. It's 30 years since I did any Latin, but: "if you're going to change everything, be afraid of nothing"??? [edited later: actually it's interit with one r, changes the meaning quite a bit - to something like "everything is changing, [but] nothing dies". Yes, I see what you mean.]

Anyway, what I wanted to say was, it's nice to get the normal font sizes back. I've now turned off my 130% view, and reversed my zooming etc [thanks to fabrizio for his tips Smile]. Well done, Patrick and Ed: you fix things so quickly. Imagine if major software makers responded like this, we'd hardly be able to keep up with improvements.

Cheers
P
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

The size of the patches is not directly proportional to the number of fixes, but rather depends on the number of shared libraries that change. Even if only one line of code gets changed, the entire binary for that library gets shipped within the patch. This kind of makes it hard to predict how large it'll get, but if no other modules get hit with bugfixes it'll stay the same size. It's still smaller than downloading a full install disk image Smile

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The size of the patches is not directly proportional to the number of fixes, but rather depends on the number of shared libraries that change...It's still smaller than downloading a full install disk image Smile

Not 'arf! I was really just commenting on the fact that patch #2 has already outstripped the 'max' prediction in the readme, and therefore newcomers might be puzzled (I was surprised by the size jump myself, but then I guessed there were a fair number of code changes in patch #2, since it fixes so many bugs). And I was being pedantic too, of course. Apropos, regarding omina mutantur nihil interit you're quite right, I mistyped it - my favourite translation (and the most faithful one I know) is 'everything is changed, and nothing ceases...'

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I was really just commenting on the fact that patch #2 has already outstripped the 'max' prediction in the readme, and therefore newcomers might be puzzled (I was surprised by the size jump myself, but then I guessed there were a fair number of code changes in patch #2, since it fixes so many bugs).

The original draft of that text said 12 MB, since that was the largest patch I could remember downloading (during 1.1 Alpha or Beta), but up until now that was more of an aberration (most of the recent patches have been about 1-2 MB; even the Performance Test Patches converting Neo/J 1.1 to Java 1.4.2 never topped 4 MB), so the size was changed accordingly Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1