· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Getting source from CVS
Getting source from CVS

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Getting source from CVS

Since I cannot have access to a credit card right now (and that May 9 is getting closer), I have decided to get the NeoOffice source code, and maybe build it myself (it will depend on whether I have enough time or not - does it really last 48 hrs ?).

I have succesfully obtained sources from a CVS repository before, but it's the first time I've been required to login. So far, I have been able to choose the directory in Terminal, and to get to the point where I am asked for a password. Now, is "anoncvs" the password, or did I miss something ?

When I enter "anonvcs" in the passowrd field, I get the following message :

Unknown host anoncvs.neooffice.org.

I am unable to go any further than that step. If I enter the next command line, I get the same message.

I also have a couple other questions :

The build intructions for NeoOffice 1.2.2 require X11 client software. Does Neo 2 require that too ?

I only have one Mac, but I have access to several PCs at home. Would it be possible to get a version of GCC 4 that would run on a PC (under Windows XP or Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux), but create PowerPC binaries ?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

you will have to compile openoffice.org on macosx for it to work.

yup, 'anoncvs' is the password.

question, do you have XCode (dev tools) installed?

also, you may want to try again, it could just be that the cvs was backing up/down/hiccuping/dancing the mambo that that moment.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

Well, not exactly, the makefile will get OOo source from CVS and then compile it. After that, NeoOffice custom modules are built and combined with some of OOo modules to produce NeoOffice binary.

Samwise > Have you followed Early Access Build Instructions?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

I have XCode installed. Is that a problem/a good thing ?

I have already tried to login several times, and I always get that message.

Judging by the fact that OOo.org needs to compile under OS X (or does it ? I don't fully understand val's post), it seems that I will have to use my Mac for the build.

Yes, I have followed the Early Access Build isntructions. I have entered the command line arguments manually and tried copy/paste, but it still doesn't work. BTW you forgot the "en" between "neojava" and "earlyaccessbuild.php" in your link :

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/earlyaccessbuild.php

I have one other question that is not related to the topic. How do you make a text link here ? Usually, I use [a href="URL"]text link[/a] but it doesn't seem to work here, and I don't know that much HTML.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

I just tried to follow the intructions and I got a different message this time :

cvs login: warning: failed to open /Users/username/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory

my "$NEO_HOME" folder is /Users/username/neooffice

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

Well, not exactly, the makefile will get OOo source from CVS and then compile it. After that, NeoOffice custom modules are built and combined with some of OOo modules to produce NeoOffice binary.

Samwise > Have you followed Early Access Build Instructions?

=D i meant that he could not build the program on a Windows machine and use it on his Mac. (sorry it was early)

-j
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I meant that he could not build the program on a Windows machine and use it on his Mac.

Is it 1) because the Windows machine is x86, or 2) because the OpenOffice.org build requires Unix tools ? If it's #2, how about a Linux box - isn't Linux based on Minix, which is based on Unix ?

Or is it 3) neither of the two possible reasons I mentioned ?

Also, do you have any other/new clue of why I can't login ?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

i know that you have to compile the program on Mac OSX if you want to use it on OSX. the why's, i am not so sure of.

as for the login, i just tried it myself and I log in ok.

go to openoffice.org and try to log into their anoncvs (instructions are there). or any other program for that matter. it will show if the problem is universal or just with neo.

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

If you're getting problems with the name lookup for anoncvs, try doing "nslookup anoncvs.neooffice.org" in a shell. I've not experienced any problems with the new DNS server (I switched a month ago) and I think other people have successfully been able to get code from it.

It's best to use the symbolic name in your checkout instead of the IP of the machine since the IP may change.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Tried your suggestion and got the following message :

** server can't find anoncvs.neooffice.org: SERVFAIL
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Well, I replaced anoncvs.neooffice.org by its IP and it worked ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

That is very odd that for some reason cvs doesn't seem to be resolving the IP correctly. Very bizarre. nslookup had no problem getting the IP, however?

The IP is pretty stable for anoncvs and has only changed twice thus far. Using the IP should work until I move it to a new server someday Smile

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:

I can always check the IP address before using the CVS anyway.

As I already said in my other post, nslookup gave me the following message :

** server can't find anoncvs.neooffice.org: SERVFAIL

I used host to get the IP.

Edit : All of a sudden, I can access the CVS without replacing the checkout by the IP, and nslookup doesn't give any error message ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

Oh, very sorry, I thought the failure message was coming from CVS and not nslookup. Hmm...that sounds almost as if I've got some errors in my DNS configuration file perhaps with expiries and the like. I'll look into that and see if there's something amiss. anoncvs is a bit different in that it's an alias record instead of a direct IP and that's the only record configured like that.

Sorry about the trouble Sad

ed
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Judging by the fact that OOo.org needs to compile under OS X (or does it ? I don't fully understand val's post), it seems that I will have to use my Mac for the build.

I meant that you don't need to compile OOo manually, the Neo Makefile does it for you automatically.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2