Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.0 Base : network files and lock issues
NeoOffice 2.0 Base : network files and lock issues

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice 2.0 Base : network files and lock issues

When I have a ODB file with HSQL engine on a network folder, I got this following error :

Code:
SQL Status: 08001
Error code: -1

The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@e9cd3af8[file =/Volumes/(snipped).lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]:

the lck file is created but has zero octets.

When I do move the ODB file on a local drive, this error doesn't appear.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I did a Google search on "org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile" and it appears that this is a common error. "org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile" is part of the HSQL JDBC driver so I would suggest reading through the Google search results to what this error really means.

I suspect that having your database on a mounted file system causes the HSQL driver to have problems as it is probably trying to lock the database file for exclusive access. However, since Mac OS X does not support locking on network mounted files, such locking will fail which be what the driver is complaining about.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

What type of protocol are you using to talk to the server, SMB or AppleTalk?

Unfortunately I don't have a network at present with which I can further investigate the issue, but I do know that I've had problems with files on SMB volumes in other applications.

ed
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I've tested both protocols (SMB and AppleTalk) as the server is Linux, with the same error I've reported earlier.

I've even tested with another networked Macintosh and the problem is still the same.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

As Patrick mentioned, if this seems like it's a common error it may be something in the driver itself and not with the client (Neo/OOo).

By any chance do you have an OOo 2.0 X11 installation you could test with? If the protocol doesn't make a difference, I suspect it may be an issue unrelated to the Neo file locking fixes and is a problem either in OOo itself or the driver.

ed
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I had a OOo 2.0 X11 installation, but it was pretty useless as I couldn't open any networked file without getting this "General I/O Error".

I will have a look and reinstall this thing.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Hrm. Bummer that OOo doesn't seem to have incorporated the network patches from our donation a long time ago Sad I'll be able to do some further testing on this in about two weeks and see if I can narrow down the cause further.

ed
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject:

I finally won the "General I/O Error" battle with OOo 2.0 X11, and I could finally confirm that OOo 2.0 has the same problem related to database locks.

Until now, I have to pull the database file on the desktop when I need to have a look into.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

This is definitely a Mac OS X bug. Mac OS X does not support locking on AFS and NFS mounted file systems but the HSQL driver wants to lock the file. Hence the failure.

Patrick
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
This is definitely a Mac OS X bug.

Thus there are no workaround until this Mac OS X bug will be fixed ?

unless I ditch HSQL in favour of MySQL, but it's less pratical especially if I work at home...

(or either I would create a spreadsheet file and then create a database based on this spreadsheet file)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

bluespot wrote:
Thus there are no workaround until this Mac OS X bug will be fixed ?

Don't hold your breath that Apple will fix this. Every non-server version of Mac OS X released to date has not supported file locking on mounted file systems. For whatever reason, Apple felt that file locking is not a feature worth implementing (even though Windows and Linux have implemented this).

bluespot wrote:
unless I ditch HSQL in favour of MySQL, but it's less pratical especially if I work at home...

(or either I would create a spreadsheet file and then create a database based on this spreadsheet file)

Unless you move to MySQL (which is a network based database, not a shared file database), you will not be able to reliably share a database on a mounted drive using Mac OS X. Shared file databases like HSQL use file locking to ensure that two or more users on diferent machines (or even two or more processes on the same machine) that are using the file don't edit data in the database at the same time. Without file locking, such a situation will corrupt any database very quickly.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1