NeoOffice :: View topic - Forum main index reorg
Forum main index reorg

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Forum main index reorg

I finally got off my lazy rear and did some PHP coding to prune the main forum index page. Essentially, now it's possible to have forums still existant on the server that are hidden on the main page. The aim is to simplify the presentation since it really started to look silly with half of the fora on the main index locked.

I've changed the "Legacy/Deprecated" catetory to include all of the locked forums. Nothing in the legacy category is displayed on the main page. Clicking on the "Legacy/Deprecated" link, however, will display all of the old frozen NeoC fora and the OOo X11 fora. Searches are still sitewide and include all of those fora by default.

No links within those fora have changed, so all relevant search engine indexes will still function as well as any outstanding links. No content has been removed and none will ever be removed. Less links to click on in the main index gives a better chance that users will go to the correct place Smile

If you can think of a better way to group the fora or their hide/show state, please let me know. Originally I had come up with the layout assuming all fora had to be listed on the main page; having the hide/show ability offers some more intriguing possibilities.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Ed, Looks ... Cleaner. Cool

Not sure how I feel about the missing areas. It's does look better without all the closed areas. I kinda wish that there weren't the problems that happened. Crying or Very sad Oh well.

It IS a lot quieter without all the non-NeoOffice questions. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Philip (Loving NeoOffice 2.ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh YEA! Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, another thing to keep in mind with the new mods is that although something is "hidden" (e.g. isn't directly visible on the main index page for forums) doesn't mean that it can't be active. I think at one point there was some thought of splitting off support into a general category as well as separate components...now it'd be possible to do so and leave general visible at the main entry page and make separate components visible through a more detailed support link.

I wish I could set up an icon to illustrate that a category can be expanded like the rolling arrow of OS 9. I guess I'll have to do more work. Right now it seems phpbb content generation will need to be extended Sad

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Question about "Who's Online"

I have a question about "Who's Online".

The Who's Online box on the left of forums shows Guest(s) and Member(s).
It looks like the current numbers are greater than 3-to-6 months ago. I see 20-30 guests and 5-10 members most of the time now.

The Who's Online Guest(s) and Member(s) information shown at the bottom of the full Forums listing shows different numbers.
It current shows "In total there are 4 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests "
While the box-left shows "There are currently, 34 guest(s) and 4 member(s) that are online."

I give up.... Wha't the difference? Confused

Philip (20+ Guests, 3-5 Members! Wooo Hooo Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, the box on the side is driven by the underlying nuke system and the stats at the bottom of the forums are tracked by the phpBB system. The box on the left is the "last 5 minutes" reading, but the timeout on the forums is different. The sidebar also is tracking people who are hitting the server for RSS feeds of the forums which doesn't get reflected in the forum stats.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1