NeoOffice :: View topic - DNS oddness
DNS oddness

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: DNS oddness

This morning I noticed one of my ISP's nameservers was going a little bats**t and wasn't resolving names in the neooffice.org domain. This sounds similar to Samwise's problems with anoncvs being unable to resolve its IP.

I changed the nameserver config to better match the registration information on the root servers...the NS config on root domains point to one of my other domains while the nameserver was advertising a different set of name servers. I synced the two so, hopefully, this might resolve the issue (no pun intended).

Let me know if you have any "host not found" problems with either trinity, cvs, anoncvs, www, etc. in the next few days as a result of the new config.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

I will check anoncvs as soon as I regain access to my Mac (could be in a few days).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks!

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

Well, I tried to get the source from the CVS a few minutes ago, and using anoncvs.neooffice.org didn't work, so I had to use the IP instead (again).

nslookup gives me an error message as usual, but host, which used to find the IP, does not seem to find it anymore. Both nslookup and host can find the IP for trinity.neooffice.org though.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

Works fine for me so I don't think this is a problem on Ed's end. Instead, I suspect that you have a flaky DNS setup or the DNS server that you are using is flaky. DNS, like most of the internet, assumes that all DNS servers throughout the world keep their data in sync. However, in practice I have found that this isn't always the case.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

Not very good news Sad

Thanks for the info though.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

Also do you have a backup DNS server? I found from my ISP that the primary DNS had issues trying to resolve comptuers within my domain (e.g. main domain lookup was fine, but some of the other computers using aliases were goofy) but the secondary DNS had no problems at all finding the servers. So what would happen is the primary DNS would time out and then the secondary DNS would kick in.

One thing that may work is to find a DNS server that seems to be a bit more reliable on that lookup and set it as a backup server.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

Also, if anyone is more expert in BIND configuration files than I I wouln't mind having someone take a look over them Smile The problem that I had fixed was to change the nameserver records in BIND to match the nameserver records as they are on the root domains. The thought was that somehow the difference in NS entries was causing DNS servers to fail to resolve the primary DNS IP address for the domain.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Also do you have a backup DNS server ?

Is this question for me ?

Well, I use whichever DNS my ISP assigns me. Whether there is a backup server, I do not know.

Edit : Right now both nslookup and host find the IP for anoncvs. Looks like the issue is on my end then.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Strange. So is nslookup able to find the IP but the CVSROOT still doesn't resolve? That'd be something I've never seen before Smile

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So is nslookup able to find the IP but the CVSROOT still doesn't resolve?

I don't think so. I just didn't bother to try accessing the CVS again, but I'm (almost) sure it would have worked w/out the IP ...

I think Patrick is right, there must be an issue with the DNS setup on my end.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1