· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - XRender?
XRender?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: XRender?

Hi all.

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post my question, but let's
try it. I also posted this question in
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=980348&forum_id=142721
... but I am not sure I will get an answer.

I recently installed OroborOSX v0.8.5 for Fink v0.6.2.cvs, package manager
v0.16.2, MacOS X 10.2.8 (not planning to upgrade to Panther), and gcc
v3.3. I used to have Apple's X11 beta 3, but I accidently hosed it after
upgrading Fink and some programs. Since Apple no longer has X11 beta 3
packages online and I have no backup, I was stuck and needed a new X11 and
window manager. Someone told me to use XFree86 and OroborOSX (because I
loved Apple X11's design).

I have a newbie question: When I run OpenOffice v1.0.3 from xterm, I
notice it tells me "Display can do XRender, but no installed..." It
supposed to be faster. Where do I get this feature/program? OO is much
slower than Apple's X11.

Thank you in advance.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject:

If you're getting the XRender error line, chances are you don't have XRender on your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. Look at the contents of /usr/X11R6/lib and see if libXrender.*.dylib is in there.

The crux of the issue is that libXrender is in the same location for Apple X11 as the bogus libgl...so for Apple X11 the recommended workaround was to remvoe /usr/X11R6/lib from the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to avoid the libgl conflict (the X11 library has the same name as a MacOS X library). XFree86 shouldn't have a functional libgl, so it should be safe to put /usr/X11R6/lib back into the path.

I don't have any hard numbers as to the speed of XF86 vs. Apple X11 Public Betas, but I do know that the public betas *seemed* faster, and it wasn't due to XRender (which actually slows OOo down as it starts antialiasing things). Some of the speed improvements were near subliminal...for example, Apple X11 shades windows white by default, whereas XF86 shades them black. Visually this makes a large difference in how fast menus seem to open and the like. I'm sure that there are other enhancements that make it quicker as well. Apple has stated they're going to incorporate the hardware acceleration code into XF86, but right now I'm unsure as to the schedule for it.

In theory we *might* be able to redistribute Apple X11 public beta r3. To determine this we'd need to find:

1) someone that downloaded the source code package for public beta r3 (I think I only have r1)

2) someone to scour through the package for the license file.

The latest entries on the open source website at Apple with the X11 final source list it as being under an MIT license. If the source for the earlier Jag versions was in fact MIT licensed, it would be legal to recompile it and redistribute it...provided we expunged the Apple trademarks from it before doing so.

I don't quite have the time to follow up on that thought, but if anyone's really dismayed about not having the Apple X11 for Jag any longer that's the only approach I can think of to trying to resurrect it without requiring Apple's blessing...and a lawyer Wink.

ed
Ant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If you're getting the XRender error line, chances are you don't have XRender on your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. Look at the contents of /usr/X11R6/lib and see if libXrender.*.dylib is in there.

The crux of the issue is that libXrender is in the same location for Apple X11 as the bogus libgl...so for Apple X11 the recommended workaround was to remvoe /usr/X11R6/lib from the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to avoid the libgl conflict (the X11 library has the same name as a MacOS X library). XFree86 shouldn't have a functional libgl, so it should be safe to put /usr/X11R6/lib back into the path.
I do have the files:

$ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender* -all
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 35380 Nov 10 05:36 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.1.2.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 35380 Nov 22 20:58 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.1.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 45012 Nov 10 05:36 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.a
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 20 Nov 22 21:00 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.dylib -> libXrender.1.2.dylib

I tried this command in bash: set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/ but i still see the error. Am I doing this wrong? Also, where do I save the path so I don't have to retype it (when it works)?
Ant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject:

OK, I think I fixed it by uninstalling installed OpenOffice v1.0.3, deleting my preferences, and reinstalling OO. I saw the message about setting up setenv, etc. I typed those commands manually in xterm and wow, faster!! After setting everything up, OO seems to be happy now. I hope I don't run into more problems. Smile
Maveric

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject:

Ant wrote:
OK, I think I fixed it by uninstalling installed OpenOffice v1.0.3, deleting my preferences, and reinstalling OO. I saw the message about setting up setenv, etc. I typed those commands manually in xterm and wow, faster!! After setting everything up, OO seems to be happy now. I hope I don't run into more problems. Smile

Could you please give me a more detailed description of what you did to get XRender working. Especially what do you mean with "I saw the message about setting up setenv, etc." and "I typed those commands manually in xterm"? Which commands? A step by step instruction would be welcome. I think that other users get this error too and want a good instruction on how to solve it.

Currently OOo isn't installed on the new Power Mac but Xfree is compiling while typing these lines and hopefully in a few hours from now OOo and everything else is back and the Power Mac is ready for daily use.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1