Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Build a patch ?
Build a patch ?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Build a patch ?

I've been able to build Neo (PPC) twice now, but they were complete builds (including OOo et al) of Alpha 2 and Alpha 3.

I know that NeoOffice-2_0_Alpha_3 is a release tag, but does it get updated with the code for each patch (Patch 1, Patch 2, etc.) ? And if yes, how do I build a patch installer instead of a full package ?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Build a patch ?

Samwise wrote:
I've been able to build Neo (PPC) twice now, but they were complete builds (including OOo et al) of Alpha 2 and Alpha 3.

I know that NeoOffice-2_0_Alpha_3 is a release tag, but does it get updated with the code for each patch (Patch 1, Patch 2, etc.) ? And if yes, how do I build a patch installer instead of a full package ?

No, I don't change the tag with each patch. Instead, to build the latest patch, you need to update to HEAD. Once you have a HEAD build, you can build the patch by invoking "make build.patch_package".

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot. Now I have a last question : if I update to HEAD how do I build a non-latest release of Neo (such as Alpha 3) ?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

If you want to do the non-latest, you'll need to re-update with the older tag and then reperform the build. It's usually easier to keep a full separate build, if you can, so if you want an older one just check it out and rebuild. I always keep my main build up to date with HEAD and haven't really kept multiple builds around except during the time I was still trying to do work on 1.1.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks. Keeping two separate builds is a good idea but that means another 15 GB of disk space though.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Yes, it does mean a lot of hard drive space is needed to keep builds around. You can probably trim down the size of a build by disabling all languages except for one (by default Neo builds with all languages even though the OOo build system smokes crack and still tries to make help file sets for every language though for many it's just repackaged English text...that help content comes to nearly 1.75 GB alone!). That will also probably shave off another 1-1.5 GB when building the Neo disk images by no longer assembling all of the "language pack" installers.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

Oh I have 250 GB, I'm not going to start trimming the build(s), but sometimes I import some DV footage which also requires a lot of room ... and I like to have at least 50% free space (for peace of mind more than anything else).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Well the best solution for you may be to keep your single build up on HEAD and just keep around a binary installer from a previous build. Since all development occurs on HEAD anyway, it's usually rare for me to need to go back to another tag except in a binary form to verify something is fixed in HEAD.

I've almost never needed to go backwards. When I do, usually "cvs diff" off of the tag is enough for me to figure out what changed in source Smile

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks again.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1