Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

nice icons, nice splashscreen. a real nice work.
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
nice icons, nice splashscreen. a real nice work.

And just so you don't get annoyed by the split personality, they'll be inside the app, too Wink

I can even tell you how to change the internal icons in your OOo/X11 build so that you can pretend you're using NeoOffice there Razz

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

These icons are gorgeous, I would really hope to see those on some future release.

Just a remark: I read some time ago on Apple's website that document icons should not have elements getting out the "sheet". So that, I would put that ship *inside* the document icon.

Or maybe take it away. No MS Office has an Office logo on the icon. They just have the W, the P, the X and so on.

That would take our beloved NeoOffice very close to the other mac apps.

I say this because I'm sure that many applications get to be famous because of their look. I compiled my native Intel NeoOffice from the early access sources and could appreciate that, but my friend Tom don't even know what "compile" means. He just see what the program looks like.

Remember: almost no one used Mozilla but a lot of people now use Firefox. Why? Because of it's look, at first.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Easyldur, huh ?

Quote:
Just a remark: I read some time ago on Apple's website that document icons should not have elements getting out the "sheet".

That may have been Apple's Human Interface Guidelines :

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html

Something like Figure 10-10 (Icons > Icon Genres and Families) ?

I think the first draft of the doc icons had the ship inside the frame, but the current icons (those that ship with NeoOffice right now) also have the ship outside the frame. So, this would be the "NeoOffice way". And we pretty much agreed that the ship icon creates a strong visual connection with NeoOffice, which is a good thing.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

Those same AHIG also tell you to simply put the filetype as a little block of letters below the app badge, too.

We had this debate before (2004!) when I first made document icons, and I don't think anything has changed where we'd be better-served by following the AHIG to the letter.

Those guidelines work really well if you app creates only one or two types of files which are essentially the same. It's not practical when your app creates a multitude of very differing filetypes like Neo does...we need the entire canvas for differentiation....

(Quick, here's a folder of 20 Preview documents in list view...which one's the JP2?)

Since we can't put the ship top-dead-center where the AHIG wants it, off to the side in traditional old-style Mac iconography is a good compromise.... And the people who are going to get really upset about the icons are the same people who would never in a million years use Neo because of the UI (Ed-Aquafied or not), so I'm not concerned Wink

Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

I understand your arguments. But I would like to answer.

To Sardisson, what's the need of having a ship in the document icons? I repeat that no MS Office icon have the puzzle-ish icon on them, they just have different colors and different pictures on them.
Maybe I'm one in a billion, but I look at both the open-source-compile-free-GPL-community thing and the GUI of it... Very Happy

To Samwise, thanks for the link. I looked for it and couldn't find. I don't think we need a "strong connection" with the program. If I download and use NeoOffice, I already know those icons belong to that program.

And also: make a folder with a bunch of JPG's, PDF's, GIF's and only one PNG. Now, try to find the PNG in a glance... I think those icons are good enough as they are, I mean, with no ship. But, anyway, just my 2 cents...
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Easyldur wrote:
I understand your arguments. But I would like to answer.

To Sardisson, what's the need of having a ship in the document icons? I repeat that no MS Office icon have the puzzle-ish icon on them, they just have different colors and different pictures on them.
Maybe I'm one in a billion, but I look at both the open-source-compile-free-GPL-community thing and the GUI of it... Very Happy

Seems from the earlier discussions in this thread that you are indeed in a minority opinion. We're not trying to ape MS-Office. We're working on a superior product. The majority here have expressed a view that they want the ship in the icons, reinforcing the brand identity of NeoOffice.

Easyldur wrote:
I don't think we need a "strong connection" with the program. If I download and use NeoOffice, I already know those icons belong to that program.

Again, the majority have already considered this issue and resolved to include the ship in the icons, and with good reasons as expressed earlier in this thread.

Easyldur wrote:
But, anyway, just my 2 cents...

Thank you for your generous donation! Wink

Easyldur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject:

Eheheh...

Vox populi, vox Dei!
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:

Vox AC30 - this one goes to 11...

- padmavyuha
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I'll keep my vote(s) with Rays and the rest of the Neo Community. Very Happy

I think these icons match the needs and efforts of the NeoOffice application. Cool
If I wanted MS icons I would have used that product. (Plus, didn't MS (try to?) copyright the letters "e", "W", "X" and such?) Twisted Evil Thanks, but NO thanks.

Thanks for your comments Easyldur. It's good to have different point of view.

Philip (Are the NEW Icons ready yet?!? Shocked )
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna throw in 3 cents here. Maybe with all the opinions we'll be able to get a gumball out of a machine, but anyway..

I like the ship. Screw the human interface guidelines. I mean, looking forward, we shouldn't assume that only humans will be using the computer.

W
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
I'm gonna throw in 3 cents here. Maybe with all the opinions we'll be able to get a gumball out of a machine, but anyway..

I like the ship. Screw the human interface guidelines. I mean, looking forward, we shouldn't assume that only humans will be using the computer.

W

that video explains anything strange i have posted on the internet...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, Steve needs to get his employees working on new Aqua Kitten Interface Guidelines?

Thankfully, my brother's cat has never been particularly fond of my Macs Wink

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Hmm, Steve needs to get his employees working on new Aqua Kitten Interface Guidelines?

No no no, the SDK does that already... (just needs a sandbox) Smile

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
To Samwise, thanks for the link. I looked for it and couldn't find.

It migt be easier to download the PDF (in the Table of Contents at the left, ctrl-click on the PDF icon and choose "Download Linked File"), then look for Figure 10-10, page 136.

Quote:
I mean, looking forward, we shouldn't assume that only humans will be using the computer.

ROFL Very Happy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 9 of 22