Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

I happen to like the NeoOffice logo. Smile

I never really thought it was a pirate ship, just a really cool-looking old ship.

And I find it hard to believe that someone would decide whether or not to use a program based on it's logo. Surely the way a program functions and its ease of use is much more important. (I could see - maybe - if we were talking a really poor and embarassing type logo, but that is not the case here.)

Just my worthless two cents worth. Wink
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject:

I like the app icon a lot, the splash screen less so, and the doc icons not at all (I'm still using the
MS doc icons that someone posted here ages ago, because they're instantly recognisable even when small due to the colours) - it's so subjective, isn't it?
With splash screens, I think there's this unconscious association between 'serious' apps and 'dull-as-hell' splash screens. NeoOffice's splash falls weirdly somewhere between dull-as-hell (extreme=Adobe Reader, ferinstance, with all the copyright info etc. etc.) and cool/wacky (e.g. Azureus, which is worth launching just for the pretty frog), so NeoOffice probably leaves both camps feeling uncomfortable, to the extent that we tend to like the things that we identify ourselves with (i.e. if I use this, does it say I'm cool/wacky/opensourcey or that I'm serious/professional?).
In the end, though, if someone is going to base their opinion of a sophisticated office application on the aesthetics of its splash screen, I'd feel quite comfortable with not having to take any of their opinions too seriously - sorry, but come on...

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I like the app icon a lot, the splash screen less so, and the doc icons not at all (I'm still using the MS doc icons that someone posted here ages ago, because they're instantly recognisable even when small due to the colours) - it's so subjective, isn't it?

I don't mind the splash screen but I am in agreement with Padmavyuha on the icons. Using the (effectively standardised) colours of blue for text, green for spreadsheet and orange for presentation (and the other colours that OOo uses for the other apps) seems like a good idea.

I generally like the other aspects of the file icon (the ship was very nicely reduced and placed) but adding the colours as a distinguishing feature in the next version would be a good thing, IMHO.

best wishes,
Oz

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Neo Document icons -

OK,

After reading that everyone wants different icons for documents (and no two wishes are the same... Confused ), I remembered another message that gave Users willing to make some changes - a way to have Neo or OOo icons finder icons: Neo or OOo?.
It was really easy for me to do - so it's got to be pretty ... simple and now all my OOo and NeoOffice documents have the same icons.
<warning> Use at your own risk, YMMV, may cause hair to grow in strange places, "Danger, Danger Will Robinson" </warning>

Pick your choice, or if you're good - create something even better.
(I'd be willing to use a super nice set of OOo document Icons! Laughing )

Plus, I just learned that Document types have colors/colours!! Shocked
ovvldc wrote:

yoxi wrote:

I like the app icon a lot, the splash screen less so, and the doc icons not at all (I'm still using the MS doc icons that someone posted here ages ago, because they're instantly recognisable even when small due to the colours) - it's so subjective, isn't it?

I don't mind the splash screen but I am in agreement with Padmavyuha on the icons. Using the (effectively standardised) colours of Blue for text, Green for spreadsheet and Orange for presentation (and the other colours that OOo uses for the other apps) seems like a good idea.

Philip (Can't even spell graphic artist, but I played one once! Wink )

\ I KEEP telling everyone that using NeoOffice makes you ... smarter
\\ and I hear that Ed says it makes people want to buy him ... beer!
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks Philip (& Toonetown), I think I was away when that thread got to its conclusion - I like the OOo v2 doc icons, and in fact they're a bit clearer than the MS ones when it comes to seeing what kind of doc it is (colour notwithstanding!) - plus the wiggliness is appealing. It's not that I hate the ship doc icons, it's just that they're too monochrome for my tastes, and also too much white space (remember, I'm the one who'd rather have slow Neo than non-ShapeShifter Neo so that I can darken my workspace...)

- padmavyuha
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject:

Hi all,

NeoOffice as a Pro application:

If you don't like it, change it! Power to the people and all that jazz.

If you want to use these, save the images on your Mac, right click on the NeoOffice application and choose "Show Package Contents", open the "Contents" folder and then the "MacOS" folder. Now copy "about.png" and "intro.png" into the "MacOS" folder and select "Replace". If you want to be able to revert to the original images you'd better make a copy of them somewhere before you do this!

As this is my first post in the forums I feel obliged to say:
All hail Ed and Patrick, I bow low at the feet of the software wizards.

Regards,
Daniel Pimley
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:

<cut sleek imagery>

As this is my first post in the forums I feel obliged to say:
All hail Ed and Patrick, I bow low at the feet of the software wizards.

That is pretty sleek! I like it. Less is more and so on. I like it very much indeed.

I humbly join in bowing, but also to Smokey and Jacob (new readers take note: what you are looking for is in the Wiki) and our ship icon designer.

Best wishes,
Oscar

val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Hi all,

Very nice artwork Smile
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

Nice work - though of course they're too white for me Cool - actually, I've come to realise that the only thing I find offputting about the original splash screen is the colour of the big NeoOffice text itself. I know it mirrors the ship colour, but... it reminds me of the kind of ice cream that comes with chocolate round the outside... a strange association, but there you go.
One of the great things about apps like this, though, is that it's possible to roll your own if you don't like what comes in the package.

- padmavyuha
mbhoy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject:

I work in the IT Department for a charity here in Scotland, we are in the process of trialing neooffice on some of our machines, as it would allow us to use our money for better causes than to line Bill Gates pocket!

Although we are a charity we do try to look as professional as possible, and I must say djpimley's graphics might just persuade our staff to give it a chance, as first impressions count, and those graphics look superb!

Cheers,

mbhoy
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Thanks all. I'm a sucker for a bit of positive encouragement:

Just something I'm tinkering with.

I'd like to get involved in retooling the GUI but I don't think I can face a challenge like that just now.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:

Umm... Fan F'ing tastic? I also like that it keeps the color schemes for anyone who might have used the redmond people..

The current icons have the ship without the blue circle around it, and it kind of hangs off the edge of the frame, which is kinda cool. Any way to color up those icons?

Just a thought. I wish I had GIMP skillz...

W
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Wow! Thanks all. I'm a sucker for a bit of positive encouragement:

Credit where credit is due..

djpimley wrote:

Also very sleek. Would be nicer without the blue, but that could be difficult colour-wise, especially on the presentation icon. Maybe have the blue/green/orange wash go diagonally. Or that might ruin the simplicity..

djpimley wrote:
I'd like to get involved in retooling the GUI but I don't think I can face a challenge like that just now.

One thing at a time Smile. By all means keep going!

Best wishes,
Oscar

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Would be nicer without the blue...

No it wouldn't. (In my defense: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" and I like them just the way they are.)

ovvldc wrote:
By all means keep going!

I'll second that and thanks for the alternative splash screen too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:

Very nice document icons. Keep going indeed!!!!!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22