Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Better?

I thought I'd pick up the colour coding idea and run with it, hence the blue green and orange. The current NeoOffice icons illustrate the document type very literally but even displayed at 128 pixels it's difficult to tell what they're supposed to be.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I like both.

The new ones look more like the current designs, but the first ones are clearly associated with the Neo icon and consequently with the NeoOffice app; not that the new and current ones aren't, but your first draft makes it even clearer.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Better?

I thought I'd pick up the colour coding idea and run with it, hence the blue green and orange. The current NeoOffice icons illustrate the document type very literally but even displayed at 128 pixels it's difficult to tell what they're supposed to be.

Quite impressive indeed! Patrick, Ed, Smokey. How do you feel about these?

I would, personally, not at all be unhappy with finding them in the Beta builds. If mr. Pimley would be so generous as to donate his work to the project. And if nobody else objects...

Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Indeed. Both the splashscreen and the document icons.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I would add my vote. EXCELLENT work. Splash Screen and Icons.

I'm not sure if I like the newest icons best, or an updated version with the Ship in a circle. I'd take what I get! Laughing

Philip (holding his breath to see what Patrick and Ed think! Embarassed )
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Those are totally AWESOME! I love them.

What would you suggest as visual differences between templates and actual documents (the OOo icons have a dk blue area for templates...but we would just need something to differentiate between templates and documents)

Also - what about individual program icons?

The programs (and doctypes) in NeoOffice 2 are:
Base
Calc
Draw
Impress
Math
Web
Writer

It would be cool to have a set of document/template/application icons for each of the subapps in NeoOffice 2...
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I like them too - though I also prefer the previous design with the blue-circle app icon rather than just the ship, as that would make it more obvious for new users 'at-a-glance' that the docs are associated with NeoOffice (and I think it gives the icons more 'weight' - the ship-only version is too ethereal for my taste).

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Better?

Very nice, really Smile

How do they look at 32x32 and 16x16? I found that mine were OK at 32x32 but didn't scale so well to 16x16; I always planned on making custom-tuned versions for the key sizes (per Apple's suggestions) but never got around to it. The color will help there, I'm sure.

Also--you're clearly talented enough that it's not going to be a problem if you've not done so already--but the "blank document" part of the icon can't be Apple's, for licensing reasons; it needs to be a wholly-new set of pixels.

(I much prefer the sans-blue-globe versions; the globe makes things too busy. We had some discussion of this when I made the new icons after the new app icon landed.)

There are, of course, many more icons/general file types than Toonetown's list; there are 15 icons currently for categories of documents we differentiage, and Neo 2 adds a template counterpart to the HTML document.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I like them too - though I also prefer the previous design with the blue-circle app icon rather than just the ship, as that would make it more obvious for new users 'at-a-glance' that the docs are associated with NeoOffice (and I think it gives the icons more 'weight' - the ship-only version is too ethereal for my taste).

- padmavyuha

That's what I "meant" to say! I like the new Icons, with the "offset" ship in the blue-circle.

Philip (can't get enough of the pretty ... Icons! Very Happy )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Nice work - though of course they're too white for me Cool

I'm with yoxi, the splash/about stuff is too white. They're very slick and "professional", but too bright and too stark for me. I don't think I could stand staring at that much white while Neo launches Wink

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Better?

I like the above the best. More so than the one with the blue/purple ball. Very very cool.

As for the white backdrop vs. the colorful one we have now. Hmm, it does seem 2.0 should have a new graphics set. A classy splash of color, even if it's some kind of flowy OS X desktop-ish pattern to splice things up might be nice...

But these icons are awesome. Are .swx, .doc, and .odt icons all the same? And should they be?

W
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
I like the new Icons, with the "offset" ship in the blue-circle.

The format including the blue circly gets my vote.

In terms of branding, it is much easier to visually associate with the complete blue circled logo than an extracted version. As noted above, this is essential for first time users so that they can quickly relate the document icons with the application branding.

Yes, the white splash screens are a little stark but the clear use of the brand symbol helps greatly and should be continued in any further samples.

Thanks,

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:

I think I'll continue with the ship in blue circle, I agree that it helps new users to associate the documents with the application icon. I also agree that it could make the design too busy but I'll see what I can do with it.

The page curl in the top right corner of the icon is the only part cut from the Apple generic file icon. I'll replace it with artwork of my own making.

If I added a background graphic to the splash screen I don't know what it would be - NeoOffice doesn't have much in the way of graphical branding apart from the ship motif. Maybe an ancient map with "Here be dragons" written on it. I'd have to source that kind of thing from a copyright free resource, maybe Ed or Patrick have something on file related to their ship research.
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
yoxi wrote:
Nice work - though of course they're too white for me Cool

I'm with yoxi, the splash/about stuff is too white. They're very slick and "professional", but too bright and too stark for me. I don't think I could stand staring at that much white while Neo launches Wink

Smokey

Hi all,

still lurking via the rss feed, here's my opinion. I liked the new splash, and I think that a new splash is important now with the 2.0. I was thinking about a new splash for the 1.5 too, but I never got near making it.

The most important for the NeoO profile is the ship-in-globe, and I think that using it in the splash is the right thing. Other design elements could also be present, but still it has to be as clean-cut as possible. The CD labels I made for the previos versions (and for the 2.0 alpha) includes a light blue gradient as backgrund. The 2.0 alpha label also adds thin rings around the ship-in-globe logo (see http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/), to make it stand out from previous versions. A gradient or some other design element might make the white splash less clean and "antiseptic" for some NeoO users.

Knut
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:

I really like the new splashscreen and don't find it too white, but it's clearly too bright. Maybe you could make it a bit dimmer so we can see how it looks ?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22