Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:

Enriched!

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I had a brain wave:

Hmm. I am a chemist by education and this icon means something completely different to me..

Call me fussy, but I like the network jack more.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
- Bill Cosby

best wishes,
Oscar

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

I'm not fussed - but I'd rather see a bluejack than a blackjack.

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

I like the flag, and the folder is good, too (just curious; did you consider arrows at all, sort of like Punto Mac's icons?). Smile

For Internet, my constructive suggestion is to look back to Apple again and mimic the swirly sphere (I wish there were a way to just load OS icons at runtime sort-of like we do with HITheme and filepicker; alas)....

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
For Internet, my constructive suggestion is to look back to Apple again and mimic the swirly sphere

Damn! I know it'll look nice but that bloody swirly sphere is going to take a lot of work to reproduce Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
sardisson wrote:
For Internet, my constructive suggestion is to look back to Apple again and mimic the swirly sphere

Damn! I know it'll look nice but that bloody swirly sphere is going to take a lot of work to reproduce Sad

If you can fool the OOo code into following a softlink to the Apple icon file instead of a file in images.zip, that might be the way to go. We cannot redistribute Apple's icon file, but we can load it at runtime.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I bit the bullet:

There's got to be better things to do on a Sunday evening Wink
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I like the flag, and the folder is good, too (just curious; did you consider arrows at all

I can't think of anything more difficult to make than a "generic" looking arrow. Someone is always going to hate it and depending what theme you're using it will look wrong. If you want to load/save your document you have to navigate folders, so a folder icon is perfectly good on its own - forget all that arrow business.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
I bit the bullet:

There's got to be better things to do on a Sunday evening Wink

True, but the result is rather beautiful!

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Replacement preferences icons with fine retouching and Aqua frames Smile

How's that?

And more importantly, where the heck do I find the original images? I've searched the NeoOffice bundle and images.zip with no joy. At the moment these replacements exist as 32x32 Photoshop files. I'm hoping the originals are PNG or BMP or the alpha blends are gonna get shot to hell. I'm also hoping the originals are 32x32 - this looks right to me but if it's not I'm gonna cry Sad
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
[...][3 beautiful images[/url]
How's that?

Splendid!

djpimley wrote:
And more importantly, where the heck do I find the original images? I've searched the NeoOffice bundle and images.zip with no joy. At the moment these replacements exist as 32x32 Photoshop files. I'm hoping the originals are PNG or BMP or the alpha blends are gonna get shot to hell. I'm also hoping the originals are 32x32 - this looks right to me but if it's not I'm gonna cry Sad

They're in images.zip; 32x32 RGB PNG with alpha transparency.

Just a sec and I'll get you the actual names/paths Smile And add them to the wiki chart, too Wink

Internet: [images.zip]/svx/res/tr10416.png
Internet-HC: [images.zip]/svx/res/trh10416.png

Load/Save: [images.zip]/svx/res/tr10452.png
Load/Save-HC: [images.zip]/svx/res/trh10452.png

Language: [images.zip]/svx/res/tr10921.png
Language-HC: [images.zip]/svx/res/tr10921.png

If you make a copy of your images.zip Wink and create a folder hierarchy, e.g. images-root/svx/res
Code:
cd images-root
zip svx/res/*.png path/to/images.zip
should add them (you might need sudo on that last one). For truly safe instructions, see the Readme in my "toolbar" icons archive.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Smokey.

I'll wait and see what the consensus is, but if everyone is happy with these images and the master document icon then I'll add them to my NeoOffice elements dmg and bump the version. If Ed and Patrick like the new images they can be included in Aqua Final.

I wonder what is the best way to add them to my dmg - if I add individual PNG files then Ed or Patrick will have zip them into the images.zip archive. Is this OK?
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:

How's that?
I'm also hoping the originals are 32x32 - this looks right to me but if it's not I'm gonna cry Sad
Ahhhhhhh - VERY NICE. +! from me. (ya, I just had to display the icons - Again! Very Happy )

< nit picking > - the File folder "almost" looks plain next to the Languages Flag, and "swhirly" Internet icon.
Maybe if it was at a slight angle ( / ), and a little bit opened (so we could see the AQUA goodness inside Cool ). It's just a comment. < sprays nit-be-gone >
I would be well pleased with what you have presented.

Philip ( More outstanding contributions to NeoOffice! tanks!! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, that's true. Since every single folder in use in Mac OS X and its iconography is sideways, perhaps we should conform here, too?

Somewhere I read Apple say something about not changing the appearance of the same UI element when it's used in different contexts; I believe the example was the folder, actually....

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Hmm, that's true. Since every single folder in use in Mac OS X and its iconography is sideways, perhaps we should conform here, too?

Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! Wink But seriously...

What I'm conforming to is the representation of folders within NeoOffice. Punto_Mac's set is using the same style of flat folders and as he or I replace other elements this will eventually become consistent throughout the application. Folders drawn at an oblique angle look lovely at 36px but almost unidentifiable at 18px. I'll also go insane trying to make a carbon copy of Apple's folder icon.

sardisson wrote:
Somewhere I read Apple say something about not changing the appearance of the same UI element when it's used in different contexts; I believe the example was the folder, actually....

Well we already shot down their icon guidelines so why not go for a double whammy Smile Apple's interface guidelines are legendarily rigid but they've never been worried about breaking their own rules when they got in the way of innovation or good interface design.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22