NeoOffice :: View topic - Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0
Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you most use Office Themer for?
Developing toolbar icons.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Putting other people's icons into my Office.
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Cobbling together groovy icon sets.
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Staring at the errors and cursing Brett's name.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0

First of all: sorry I've been gone so long, folks. But I have been busy back at the labs.

First of all, I've changed NeoIconer to Officer Themer. The new name reflects that not only is this a complete re-write and a completely different program, but that is going to not only work on Mac, but Linux and Windows as well (read: OpenOffice, NeoOffice, and StarOffice.) In fact, these variations are already in pretty far in development. This wouldn't seem like a big deal to the NeoOffice crowd, but it is my sincere hope that by bringing this tool to the masses, the end result will be more icon sets for everyone.

Okay, so what's new? Probably just need to go and look at it yourself. But here are the requirements:
Mac OS X 10.4 (-or- Mac OS X 10.3 + Tk 8.4 )
Firefox 1.5
NeoOffice 2.0.x -or- OpenOffice for Mac 2.0.x

Oh, and pay careful attention to the Permissions Fix, as it affects everyone on this list.

So go ahead and get it, at its new location:
http://www.brettisangry.com/OfficeThemer/

Give it a spin, let me know what happens and what you think. It's been a ga-bonk-a-bonk load of work, so I hope at least a few people get their socks knocked off...

Lastly: I know that a lot has changed in the universe of NeoOffice while I've been gone. There are new things to address, like multiple image files. As soon as I get Office Themer stable I'm going to spend some time on all of that.

- Brett the James
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

WoW,

Things are just POPING at the Neo Fora!

Thanks Brett, I'll give this a try in the next few days. Are there any new Icon set available? Or just use the old samples??

Oh, did we need Tk previously??

Philip (Just LOVES all the pretty, shine-e, icons! Oooooo Wink )
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

No new icons, but that's not so much my department. If no one beats me to it, there are a bunch of icon sets out in the world to be converted to the new format. But I'm not really the artist type.

You didn't need Tk for NeoIconer. Tk is the visual front end for TCL. That may not mean much, but TCL came standard with OS X started with 10.3, whereas TK wasn't included until 10.4. So if you have Panther, you need Tk. If you have Tiger, you've already got it.

I am running Tiger, so I don't know much about getting it on Pather. I gather you go here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86100&package_id=89343&release_id=332919

And download this file:
TclTkAqua-8.4.10.dmg

Seems like a hassle, but the new program is way worth it. There's no terminal involved, and you don't have to type extentions or anything. In fact, I wonder how I ever got so excited about those stone tools before...

Brett the James
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Cool, I have 10.4 so I'm set.

Question 1: So OOo Themer can't use the same sets I downloaded for NeoIconer? True? (good to know, so I don't mess up Neo 2.Oh!)

Question 2: Does OOo Themer (ignoring copyright issues Smile ) have a reset to default Icons? err - Just in case "someone" messes up my/their icons??

Philip (Lots of Questions, Likes shinny things! Wink )
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0

berchca wrote:
First of all: sorry I've been gone so long, folks. But I have been busy back at the labs.

You are entirely excused. I downloaded immediately and started to play. I have to things. The first is that when I selected a new icon set I get the following error:

Code:

dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/OpenOffice Themer 0.9.1/Office Themer.app/Contents/Resources/Darwin/ImageMagick-6.2.5/bin/identify
  Reason: image not found
dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/OpenOffice Themer 0.9.1/Office Themer.app/Contents/Resources/Darwin/ImageMagick-6.2.5/bin/identify
  Reason: image not found
    while executing
"exec $identify -format %wx%h $iconBaseDir/$directory/$tName"
    (procedure "createIconSample" line 21)
    invoked from within

This is entirely reproducible. The second is that when I view the set, many icons are not displayed (broken images in Seamonkey) <edit: this includes all of the 'current'/original icons>. But that might be related to the first.

I was also wondering: how do you handle wrong sized icons? I suggest scaling down (if too large) or centering and padding with transparent background (if too small).

Thanks for the hard work and best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:

Brett,

I have a short question: why are you editing the /application/NeoOffice.app/ files?

I was under the impression that the icon set can be put in someone's /library/preferences/Neooffice-2.x folder. That would save you from having to edit the application itself. I suppose editing them in the application also means you must have the same icons for every user on the system.

The same could be done (presumably) for the .openoffice/ files under linux.

My apologies if I am drawing wrong conclusions about the application fix script.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:

That error message looks suspiciously like NeoIconer is linked against Fink's libjpeg and not the OS's (and that Oscar doesn't have Fink's libjpeg installed, like most Mac users Wink )....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Office Themer 0.9 worked on my system, CrystalPlus icons (10.4.6, PPC, NeoOffice Alpha 3 - Patch 3).

Only one problem - so far.

It REPLACEd the NeoOffice Application Ship Icon with the OOo 2.0 Application Icon.
IN the Dock, In the /Applications folder. Whyyyyyyyyyyy!
Is this this some evil plot Evil or Very Mad to remove the Neo Ship Icons from my system?!? Confused

If I say I'm sorry, can I have the Neo App. Icon back??

SETUP: Retrieving current icons from program.
current directory is: /Users/philip/Documents/OOo Folder/NeoOffice/OOo - Office Themer/Office Themer 0.9.1/Office Themer.app/Contents/Resources
Done!
#
First time Program has been run, backing up images.zip to:
/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/share/config/images.original.zip
#
processing globaliconlist.txt
processing writericonlist.txt
processing calciconlist.txt
processing impressiconlist.txt
processing baseiconlist.txt
The new Icons are in the Image file.
Building the new zipfile (takes forever.)
Putting image file into Office.

Philip ( is sorry that he may be one of the "5 people doing a lot of noise ..." Crying or Very sad Wink )
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

So getting these releases done usually finishes with an obsesessive, several day coding marathon (like not being able to stop reading during the last part of a really great book.) So then I put the release up and I don't even want to look at my computer for at least twenty-four hours, leaving people somewhat in the cold.

Sorry about that.

LemonAid wrote:

Question 1: So OOo Themer can't use the same sets I downloaded for NeoIconer? True? (good to know, so I don't mess up Neo 2.Oh!)

True, true. Sad to say. There's a new naming scheme for icons in 2.0, so they will all have to be converted. I did do the KDE set, and I did some of the crystalplus and ikon16 ones. I'll do more as time allows.

LemonAid wrote:

Question 2: Does OOo Themer (ignoring copyright issues Smile ) have a reset to default Icons? err - Just in case "someone" messes up my/their icons??

Yes it does, though you've probably already seen that by now.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
That error message looks suspiciously like NeoIconer is linked against Fink's libjpeg and not the OS's (and that Oscar doesn't have Fink's libjpeg installed, like most Mac users Wink )....

Smokey

I suspect you're right. I'll take a look at it this evening and see what I can suss out....
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I have a short question: why are you editing the /application/NeoOffice.app/ files?

I was under the impression that the icon set can be put in someone's /library/preferences/Neooffice-2.x folder.

I'm not aware that I can change it that way. Would you put it in the ~/library/preferences/Neooffice-2.x/user/config folder?

By the way, what we're dealing with these days isn't the image strip that was being used in NeoIconer. This is the real deal; it replaces the whole image.zip file, and will eventually allow you to adjust every image in the program.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

It REPLACEd the NeoOffice Application Ship Icon with the OOo 2.0 Application Icon.
IN the Dock, In the /Applications folder. Whyyyyyyyyyyy!
Is this this some evil plot Evil or Very Mad to remove the Neo Ship Icons from my system?!? Confused

Okay, this is a totally bizarre problem. The one thing I can assure is that this was no evil plot. Not by me, anyway. I have no designs on the Good Ship Neo.

I would be curious to see if your application icon is still intact. You could check it out by opening your terminal (Applications-->Utilities) and typing (or pasting):
open /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Resources/ship.icns

That should show you default icon for NeoOffice.

So have you successfully replaced icons in NO with the tool? (besides the program icon...)
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0

ovvldc wrote:
This is entirely reproducible. The second is that when I view the set, many icons are not displayed (broken images in Seamonkey) <edit: this includes all of the 'current'/original icons>. But that might be related to the first.

I should have warned you about this. The HTML is more than a little rough (obviously). It's no mean trick to have javascript check for the existence of a file before trying to load it. So I haven't gotten around to it. For the moment, broken image=icon doesn't exist in the set.

ovvldc wrote:
I was also wondering: how do you handle wrong sized icons? I suggest scaling down (if too large) or centering and padding with transparent background (if too small).

Might be better to ask how NeoOffice handles it, because I don't test for size or attempt to adjust it. You can pile any old image in there you want and it will put it in the icon set.

I looked into having the icons resize (along with a bunch of other things ImageMagick can do) and the results are quite bad, to be sure. It seems to me that if NeoOffice is only to display two sizes of icons (as it seems to be doing), then people should only be developing icons in those sizes.

Or perhaps a better way for me to explain myself is: Stuff like that gets endlessly complicated, especially attempting to solve it programicly. Too much, I'm afraid, for me to handle.

ovvldc wrote:

Thanks for the hard work and best wishes,
Oscar

You're very welcome. I'll get you an answer on that other problem soon.

- Brett the James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

berchca wrote:
By the way, what we're dealing with these days isn't the image strip that was being used in NeoIconer. This is the real deal; it replaces the whole image.zip file, and will eventually allow you to adjust every image in the program.

Images.zip is a far, far better way to do things, and kudos to the people who got that to happen (/me suspects kendy and the kde.ooo folks helped force it).... For the first time in the history of Neo, I have the ship staring back at me in the Neo prefs Very Happy

Now we just need to find a Mac icon artist to get started making the 12000 icons required for a true Aqua set Smile to use with this.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

berchca wrote:

Okay, this is a totally bizarre problem. The one thing I can assure is that this was no evil plot. Not by me, anyway. I have no designs on the Good Ship Neo.

I would be curious to see if your application icon is still intact. You could check it out by opening your terminal (Applications-->Utilities) and typing (or pasting):
open /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Resources/ship.icns

That should show you default icon for NeoOffice.

So have you successfully replaced icons in NO with the tool? (besides the program icon...)

Hmmm,

Opened: open /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Resources/ship.icns and found the OOo icons. I did the Icon Replacement listed on this fora a few weeks ago - Repace Neo with OOo document icons.
It worked fine but may have created this problem.

I had a bacckup of the Neo-ship.icns so I replaced it.

Get Infromation shows Neo Ship, but the Application Icon still shows OOo. Hmmm

Philip (this is what I get for ... futxing with Application Resources
Crying or Very sad )

\ THANKS Brett
\\ We understand Code burn out - take it easy. We will be ... Happy to save up questions/problems for you! grin
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6