NeoOffice :: View topic - Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0
Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you most use Office Themer for?
Developing toolbar icons.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Putting other people's icons into my Office.
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Cobbling together groovy icon sets.
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Staring at the errors and cursing Brett's name.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: another library

berchca wrote:
No, this is good. Can you hold off on an X11 install to see if I can get it working without it? I'll only need a couple of days, and then you could test it for me?

You mean to ask me to do absolutely nothing about my mac while we have this beautiful sunny weather outside? Well, it breaks my heart, but I will put off installing X11 until you post the next version Smile.

Seriously, I am not even close of cobbling together a set, so no rush Smile. Most of my thoughts are occupied by a real life event of the female persuasion.

Best wishes,
Oscar

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: New Not NeoIconer

So I've got the next release done. I decided that Office Themer was a bit too much for the name, so I'm trying out the shorter 'Iconic.' And that means you can get it here:
http://www.brettisangry.com/Iconic/

Oscar: I've attempted to squeeze in the necessary libraries so that X11/XDarwin isn't a requirement, I just don't know if that's even possible, though. So let me know how it goes.

What I do know is that I've removed the TK/TCL requirements. That means you should be able to run it on 10.3 without having to install any strange packages (TK).

The other big improvement is that Iconic can now process the new document icons (the upper left drop down menu, examples included in the CrystalPlus icon set).

Oh, and it handles the multiple .zip files of 2.x.

And I sped up a couple of things.

And there's a screenshot for those who would never otherwise use it.

So enjoy!

- Brett the James
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject:

Hi Brett - I've just used Iconic to install the CrystalPlus icons, and it worked fine - but only after running the FixPermissions applet.

Which is not a problem, except that I'm running NeoOffice v2 Alpha 4 and your web page says the permissions thing is only a problem with alpha 3 or earlier. My alpha 4 has been updated with each patch from the start of the alpha release EAP, so I'm wondering if that's why the permissions problem persists?

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

[quote="berchca"]So I've got the next release done. I decided that Office Themer was a bit too much for the name, so I'm trying out the shorter 'Iconic.' And that means you can get it here:
http://www.brettisangry.com/Iconic//quote]

Hi Brett,

Looking good already, and the ability to select which set you wish to replace is brilliant!

But, there's still another library missing Sad:

Code:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/Iconic 0.9.2/Iconic.app/Contents/Resources/Darwin/ImageMagick-6.2.5/bin/identify
  Reason: image not found

Let me know if you want to find this one as well. If not, I'll just go and install X11 Smile.

The other thing that puzzled me for a bit was that it remembers if the set is small or large on a per set basis. Seems entirely practical if you think about it, but it had me confused when I switched from a large set to another one and the setting changed to small. After changing it and switching back and forth, everything was of course fine..

Thanks again,
Oscar

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

ovvldc wrote:

But, there's still another library missing Sad:

Code:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/Iconic 0.9.2/Iconic.app/Contents/Resources/Darwin/ImageMagick-6.2.5/bin/identify
  Reason: image not found

I have to confess, I'm impressed it did anything at all. I've added that library out of hope that might push it over the top. If you've got a moment to try it out, that would be great!

ovvldc wrote:

The other thing that puzzled me for a bit was that it remembers if the set is small or large on a per set basis. Seems entirely practical if you think about it, but it had me confused when I switched from a large set to another one and the setting changed to small. After changing it and switching back and forth, everything was of course fine..

Yeah, the program creates a configuration file in the icon directory, so that it can remember what you had it set at.

Iconic feels like it's starting to come together. Are there specific things you guys out there are waiting for me to include in it?

Brett the James
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

berchca wrote:
Iconic feels like it's starting to come together. Are there specific things you guys out there are waiting for me to include in it?

I'm curious - clicking on View Icons launched my FireFox to display the pages of icons; I pasted the url into Safari and it didn't work, so I can see why the app doesn't just go for 'default browser', but what happens for folk who don't have FireFox installed? Smile

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I decided that Office Themer was a bit too much for the name, so I'm trying out the shorter 'Iconic.'

I don't know how that will influence the name of your app, but I found this on Versiontracker :

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16841

http://www.concepthouse.com/products/Iconic/

this app seems unattended (release date in 2002), and it looks like the name isn't trademarked, but there is already a small aplication named "Iconic".

Last edited by Samwise on Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

yoxi wrote:
but what happens for folk who don't have FireFox installed? Smile

At the moment, they'll get an error message, but later, when I have more free time, I'll probably replace it with some snarky comment about reading the program requirements.

Seriously, though. Firefox handles some calls that Safari does not, and one of those is key to making this work smoothly. And Firefox is the only browser that works on all three major platforms, so it requires less work when porting the program.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

berchca wrote:
I have to confess, I'm impressed it did anything at all. I've added that library out of hope that might push it over the top. If you've got a moment to try it out, that would be great!

Succes! I can see a strip of icons now as and example. And all of the icons are now visible in the web page. Great work!

As for more features, you could make something that extracts the images from one of the built-in packages and puts them in a folder in the app directory like the new sets. Just for those who want to fiddle with existing sets..

But this is very minor compared to what you've already made.

Congratulations,
Oscar

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I don't know how that will influence the name of youzr app, but I found this on Versiontracker :

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16841

http://www.concepthouse.com/products/Iconic/

this app seems unattended (release date in 2002).

Yeah, I first noticed this last night when I (finally) got around to putting the project up on SourceForge. I don't think I'm too worried about the crossover, nor do I think either of us are making products that need trademarks (there have been twelve people who cared about this product enough to vote in the survey, so it's a pretty small group. Hopefully it will get bigger when it's on all platforms, but still...)

But thanks for the pointer. I was thinking the other night that the other one is out of sight and out of mind. Now that you've noticed it, though, it's worth rethinking.

Brett the James
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

ovvldc wrote:
Success! I can see a strip of icons now as and example. And all of the icons are now visible in the web page. Great work!

Wow! That's a pretty nice treat for me, I was dubious it would work that way. One less product requirement is always nice, though. So now it should work on any Mac, 10.3 and above, with Firefox installed.

Makes me happy. Thanks so much for testing that for me.

ovvldc wrote:

As for more features, you could make something that extracts the images from one of the built-in packages and puts them in a folder in the app directory like the new sets. Just for those who want to fiddle with existing sets..

I have a little script that does a reverse-name of existing sets. I used to build the KDE set that's on the website (which I think currently lacks the new document icons.) It's a little buggy, so it's nothing I would upload (you have to baby-sit it and if you're not careful, it will delete important files when you are getting a fresh cup of coffee.)

I'll get around to processing all of included icons sets when I have time, but if you can't wait, one trick you can do is set the "source zip" to the one you like, then when you are viewing the icons, you can just save the ones you want to mess around with (via Firefox), give them the appropriate name and you're gold.

Brett the James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

berchca wrote:
I'll get around to processing all of included icons sets when I have time, but if you can't wait, one trick you can do is set the "source zip" to the one you like, then when you are viewing the icons, you can just save the ones you want to mess around with (via Firefox), give them the appropriate name and you're gold.

That will do Smile.

Thanks again,
Oscar
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

berchca wrote:
...when I have more free time, I'll probably replace it with some snarky comment about reading the program requirements...

Guilty as charged...

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

yoxi wrote:
Guilty as charged...

Me too, but I found it works with Seamonkey as well..

-Oscar

/who crossed 800 posts today.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

ovvldc wrote:
yoxi wrote:
Guilty as charged...

Me too, but I found it works with Seamonkey as well..

-Oscar

/who crossed 800 posts today.

Heh, another example of KHTML/KJS/WebKit's poor JavaScript support?

And congrats to Oscar on crossing the 800 threshold!

Smokey
/who seems to have crossed 2200 today Shocked

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6