NeoOffice :: View topic - Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0
Office Themer (nee NeoIconer) for NeoOffice 2.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you most use Office Themer for?
Developing toolbar icons.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Putting other people's icons into my Office.
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Cobbling together groovy icon sets.
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Staring at the errors and cursing Brett's name.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

sardisson wrote:
Heh, another example of KHTML/KJS/WebKit's poor JavaScript support?

The reason you get nothing in Safari is it doesn't support hidden iFrames. I don't think this is actually against specifications. But I'm sure Iconic will work under other browsers, I just don't want to get caught up in more support than I have to.

As you guys can probably tell, I've got enough trouble-shooting as it is...

Brett the James
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject:

Brett, I'm trying to use Iconic 0.9.2, but I don't understand it - please can you talk me through this?

In the Iconset Settings are two dropdowns, for source & target zip (which don't get a mention in your readme.html file, by the way!) - how do I use these?

What I'm trying to do is use the CrystalPlus icon set that comes with Iconic - to make that the 'standard' icon set, and add into it these new doctype icons from Mr Pimley. But whatever I'm doing with Iconic doesn't do at all what I was expecting. Help!

- padmavyuha
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

berchca wrote:
At the moment, they'll get an error message, but later, when I have more free time, I'll probably replace it with some snarky comment about reading the program requirements.

Seriously, though. Firefox handles some calls that Safari does not, and one of those is key to making this work smoothly. And Firefox is the only browser that works on all three major platforms, so it requires less work when porting the program.

How about actually making it work on Safari? Smile It's not that hard to write cross-platform javascript. I was looking through the code that you are using, and there isn't anything there that couldn't be done in another way so that it would work on whatever browser is the default one...

In my opinion, it's best not to force people to use a certain browser simply because you want to spend "less work" developing your application.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
In the Iconset Settings are two dropdowns, for source & target zip (which don't get a mention in your readme.html file, by the way!) - how do I use these?

Sorry about that, they are new in 9.2 and I didn't think to add them to the readme. Basically, OOo 2.0 originally included a single zip file. Now, with 2.02, they are including four. These are the four selectable themes you'll see in the settings (default, crystal, industrial, hi-res.) These drop downs allow you to pick which style icons you use as a base (meaning, the icons you don't replace) and underwhich style you want the icons to appear in NeoO. I imagine in most cases, you would select the same for each. Example:

You want to change a few icons, and you want them to appear in the KDE section of NeoOffice. So you select the target .zip at images_crystal.zip. Since you want all the images you don't replace to remain in the KDE theme, you select images_crystal.zip for the source zip as well.

That make sense?

yoxi wrote:

What I'm trying to do is use the CrystalPlus icon set that comes with Iconic - to make that the 'standard' icon set, and add into it these new doctype icons from Mr Pimley. But whatever I'm doing with Iconic doesn't do at all what I was expecting. Help!

At the moment, I'm sad to say, Iconic doesn't handle doctype icons. Of course, since there's a batch of them going around, I should probably try to get that happening quickly...

I'll be on the road today, but will check back in late.

Brett the James
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

toonetown wrote:
How about actually making it work on Safari? Smile

I apologize if I was too vague before. The answer is no.

toonetown wrote:

In my opinion, it's best not to force people to use a certain browser simply because you want to spend "less work" developing your application.

I appreciate your point of view, and anxiously look forward to including your code changes that will allow the program to work under Safari. After all, the beauty of open source is anyone can work on it.

I figure it'd probably only cost you a couple days of work.

Incidentally, before coming after me, you might go after the multi-billion dollar Google, who despite having resources that could crush me under their smallest finger, continue to not support Safari with a variety of products. The world is such a hard place...

Brett the James
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

berchca wrote:
... That make sense? ... At the moment, I'm sad to say, Iconic doesn't handle doctype icons. Of course, since there's a batch of them going around, I should probably try to get that happening quickly...

Yup - so my basic problem was that I was trying to add a set of icons that's already in there Smile, and also adding a set of icons that Iconic doesn't know what to do with yet. Smile Sorry, a misunderstanding on my part (with a little help from Smokey!)

I look forward to future developments of Iconic, and I'm sure I can curb my rampant impatience for the new doctype icons until the lads have actually incorporated them into the beta, eh?

- padmavyuha
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

berchca wrote:
Incidentally, before coming after me, you might go after the multi-billion dollar Google...

I apologize if it felt I was "coming after you"... I didn't mean any offense. I think that Iconic is a great application, and appreciate the work that you have done on it.

I have actually done a couple of mockups for changes to the javascript portion of the interface so that it will work on Safari. When I get some time, I'll try to polish it up and send you what I've got.

Thanks for your work!

-Nathan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Yup - so my basic problem was that I was trying to add a set of icons that's already in there Smile, and also adding a set of icons that Iconic doesn't know what to do with yet. Smile Sorry, a misunderstanding on my part (with a little help from Smokey!)

And apologies for my role in the misunderstanding...I assumed NeoIconer (er, Iconic) would "just work" Wink

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Not NeoIconer

toonetown wrote:
I apologize if it felt I was "coming after you"... I didn't mean any offense.

And I apologize for flying off the handle. Some days I'm like that, and tone isn't always easy to judge from the written word.

toonetown wrote:

I have actually done a couple of mockups for changes to the javascript portion of the interface so that it will work on Safari. When I get some time, I'll try to polish it up and send you what I've got.

I'd love to see them. There's actually been a bit of a development there just this morning. I was talking with the guy who is handling the windows port, and we got on how bad the webstuff looks (visual-wise) and the whole thing about AJAX came up. One of the really exciting possibilities is drag-and-drop within the webpage to build icon sets. Super easy, it would handle naming and everything.

Anyway, more on that soon. I'm distracted by other projects at the moment.

_brett
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

I assumed NeoIconer (er, Iconic) would "just work" Wink

No worries. And it will, it will. Hopefully around version 1.0, which hopefully isn't that far off.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Hey all, I want to set up wiki pages both for developers (of the actual program) and users...

problem is i don't know the name! are you just Iconic now? NeoIconer?

thanks,

-j
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

problem is i don't know the name! are you just Iconic now? NeoIconer?

I'm sticking with Iconic. I like it, and it's basically unused.

A wiki? Wow...
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

we wiki everything here. it keeps smokey happy.

and we like to keep smokey happy...

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
we wiki everything here. it keeps smokey happy.

and we like to keep smokey happy...

-j

LOL

Smokey
/who seems to have crossed 2300 posts today Shocked

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

yeah, at some point you reached a post count exponetially larger than i have...

and two things:

1. i was here first
2. i am here more than you

i just must not have that many things to say.

well, that don't involve ninjas.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6