· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Updating the Feature Comparison page*s* in the wiki
Updating the Feature Comparison page*s* in the wiki

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Updating the Feature Comparison page*s* in the wiki

OK, so Samwise has jumped right in and is going after some of our lingering problems in the wiki.

First on the hit-list is the mostly out-of-date NeoOffice 1.2 Feature Comparison page. This page is mostly accurate for Neo 1.2, but is missing any accurate comparison to OOo 2.0.1 X11 (which was current, more-or-less, when Neo 1.2.x was released). What I'd like to do is very quickly bring the section about Neo 1.2.2 vs. OOo 2.0.1 up-to-date (and correct any errors elsewhere in the page) and then move on to a *new* page for Neo 2.

(The idea being, at some point, we'll swap the 2.0 page in for the 1.2.2 page at that url, but keep the 1.2 page around for posterity, like we did with the Neo/J 1.1 version.)

The new page for Neo 2 vs. OOo 2 vs. Office 2004 will need the largest amount of work, given the massive changes in moving to the OOo 2 codebase. For now, we should compare 2.0 Alpha 4 to 2.0.1 X11 (although I expect 2.0.3 should appear "soonish" and 2.0 Beta sometime thereafter).

Samwise wrote:
I'd also like to know what features should be taken into account since OpenOffice.org 2.0 and Apple's move to Intel processors; I would vote for an "Intel support" line (whether a suite will work on Intel-basded Macs, and how - natively or through Rosetta). Any other suggestions are welcome, of course ...

I added a "Runs on Intel-based Macs" line (to both the 1.2 and 2.0 pages)...any other things we should add, please post here (or add to the chart if you have a wiki account).

Samwise wrote:
[...] if there is a central place to find the relevant information for each program (some of the features are completely unknown to me, and I don't know where to check if I have a doubt).

Well, that page is supposed to be the central repository of info on Neo-only features Wink We've got a fair number of people here who spend a bit of time with OOo 2.0.x, so when in doubt, post here and hopefully someone will respond Wink

Questions/comments/suggestions?

Smokey

Edit: The swap has happened; the 2.0 page is live at the stable URL.

Last edited by sardisson on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

Well, this is great news.

Since you answered all my questions, I'll be able to start working on it as soon as I've got enough time (although it seems that I'll have much less time available this & next week than I thought I'd have when I sent you a message yesterday).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

Quick question for you 10.4 folks: I believe Apple shipped Spotlight importers for MS Word documents with 10.4, but are there Apple-provided importers for Excel and PowerPoint as well?

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Quick question for you 10.4 folks: I believe Apple shipped Spotlight importers for MS Word documents with 10.4

Did they ? Unfortunately my Mini is building Neo right now, and I'd rather not interfere with it as I'd like my build to finish within approximately 24 hours ...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I think they do ship with the OS. The importer is named "Microsoft Office", so I think it covers everything (/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter). Its Info.plist indicates it can index Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Nother thing about the feature comparison pages : Start OpenOffice.org is not compatible with the 2.0.x line of OOo/X11, I wasn't 100% sure of that but I just tested it; unless someone knows what I've been doing wrong (Start OOo is looking for an OOo installation folder, and you can't simply choose the Applications folder, or put OOo/X11 in a folder and specify that folder), I think it should be removed from the Feature comparison pages.

I don't know how much Finder integration is provided with the new 2.0.x versions of OOo/X11, but I think that we should simply leave "Partial" and remove the asterisk (I think we have enough asterisks on the feature comparison pages already).
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject:

actually start openoffice.org can be used with the 2.0 line, there is a wiki page about it =D
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

OK. Found it. No useless updating then.

P.S. I still think that the feature comparison pages have too many asterisks, especially the one for Neo 2.0. Has anyone else an opinion about this ?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
P.S. I still think that the feature comparison pages have too many asterisks, especially the one for Neo 2.0. Has anyone else an opinion about this ?

Yes, I think so, too, and I have a couple I think I can eliminate. Of course, if OOo would get their act together and release OOo 2.0.3 for all languages on all architectures, we'd have one less Razz

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

I see that the feature comparison pages are now considered up-to-date. I'm not sure, though, that the following statement is 100% accurate :

NeoOffice is far more integrated with OS X than the X11 version on which it is based. Rather than relying on X11, NeoOffice uses Java and Cocoa to bridge the gap between the OpenOffice.org interface code and Apple's OS X.

I can clearly remember Ed saying that NeoOffice is not based on the X11/Mac version of OOo. So, what should we do about this ?
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that info is out of date.

Neo 2.0 is based on the linux port.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

We pull our code only from the release tags used for the official releases on Win32/Linux/Solaris. Neo no longer pulls any of the code from the Mac X11 specific cws or other branches.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

So, what should I put on the Wiki instead ?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
So, what should I put on the Wiki instead ?

A nice French version of the current page Wink

Of course, if anyone doesn't consider the current 2.0 vs 2.0 vs 2004 page accurate, please say so (or edit); it simply seemed like the editing had stopped for some time after a flurry of updating, and the page seemed reasonably accurate to me....

It'd be nice to have a German version of the 2.0 vs 2.0 vs 2004 page, too Wink

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I see the page has been updated several times; I'll see what I can do about the French version. And I see that the OOo/X11 team has released 2.0.3 in another foreign language, English Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2