Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - XCode 2.3 ?
XCode 2.3 ?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: XCode 2.3 ?

According to VersionTracker, Apple has released Xcode 2.3. I don't know if it includes a new version of GCC, but I guess we should stick with 2.2.1 until someone is able to build Neo on 2.3 (unless we want to help fixing potential issues - I don't think I'm ready yet though) ?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

According to the readme for Xcode 2.3:
Quote:
Apple's GCC 4.0 is now based on version 4.0.1 of the Free Software Foundation's GNU Compiler Collection

My Xcode 2.2 has
Quote:
gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)
- does that mean, that it's the same, or aren't Apple & GNU version numbers synchronized? I'm confused. Confused
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

The real kicker is to check gcc --version and the readme for what was fixed in the compiler. Right now with 4.0.1 5250 (xcode 2.2.1) there seem to be no breakages. If they didn't change the compiler version and just the biuld, it's a bit difficult to keep the two verisons side by side without uninstalling & reinstalling dev tools to switch (gcc_select does minor releases only, not the last dot and the patches).

In theory if it's the same gcc version but just a different build the ABI will not have changed so you should be able to install the new compiler and continue development.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Update : GCC 4.0.1 build 5341
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

OK, after reading the release notes, it appears the ABI changed only for code using certain Intel long long types. If you're compiling PowerPC you should be fine with replacing the compiler and not having to do a full rebuild (knock on wood).

ed
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

I'm planning on trying it out - I'll keep you updated on how it turns out...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

OK, FWIW while I was doing the latest round of NWF work I was at my folks' house in Jersey and on my TiBook which, for work purposes, had XCode 2.3 and associated compilers on it. There are no problems with name mangling for rebuilding libraries with it and putting it into an XCode 2.2.1 build. There also appear to be no problems with bridges.

I haven't done a full rebuild with 2.3 yet, so can't vouch for everything in the process, but based on my experience I think it'll be fine.

If you use XCode for real development however (e.g. visual debugging, IDE build system) you'll find some really really long overdue fixes (it can now handle quotes properly in build settings!) but also has a *lot* of annoyances introduced in GDB (e.g. "step over line" no longer actually stpes over the line of code...it'll actually go through every single durn inline function, which makes debugging STL code a nightmare).

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

FYI. If you are building the NeoOffice HEAD branch, I suggest that you do the following after 5:00 Pacific Daylight Time today (Sunday, July 2):

1. Stop your build
2. cvs update your NeoOffice workspace
3. If you have already started building the OOo portion of the build, cd into the neojava/build/instsetoo_native/util directory, delete the makefile.mk file, and cvs update that file from the OOo CVS repository. In other words, you need a clean copy of this file as the latest Neo patch in neojava/patches/openoffice is very different than it was yesterday as I had to build.
4. Restart your build.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I have started #3. I did not have to stop my build, which stopped all by itself with an error. Was that supposed to happen ?

This may sound stupid, but once I got rid of that makefile, how do I get a clean copy from the OOo CVS ? Do I simply log into the OOo anoncvs and cvs update ?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes, you can either login to the OOo anonymous CVS adn cvs upadte or (what I did) remove the entire module and just "cvs co -r" the module again. Also, if your build stopped with an error, check to see if it was in regcmp...if so you'll need to do a clean checkout and rebuild of the "jvmfwk" module.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Also note there seems to be a build failure in our patched vcl module right now after merging changes back in. I'll take a look at it and see what up.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

The error was about something in instsetoo_native ... which made me think the error & this new stuff might have been related.

Thanks for the help.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

OK, the vcl error that I was referring to is past instsetoo_native...so you'll need to do the above first to get the OOo build to successfully finish. A change in OOo broke their own language pack installers. The vcl error I was referring to is in the neojava/vcl build (e.g. after OOo build has finished) and was a malformed ifdef line. I just committed the fix to the neojava vcl and it should be available at the time of the next anonymous CVS sync (~3am pst)

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Other notes: there were some other build failures in vcl due to the 2.0.3 update that should now also be resolved and will be available in the next anoncvs sync. With these, neo should build through the construction of the final dimages.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Update:

There is still a build error in the final dimage assembly that prevents a full successful build. Language packs seem to assemble OK. I'm a bit tired right now, so will take a look tomorrow as to how to fix. In the meantime, anyone trying to build HEAD should expect their build to fail.

Upgrading the base OOo build is a non-trivial process as it's always a moving target. Don't worry, we'll get it working ASAP, and the patch 4 branch will still build Very Happy

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3