· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Quick questions about the new "toolbar" icons and
Quick questions about the new "toolbar" icons and

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Quick questions about the new "toolbar" icons and

Pulling this out of the splash/Finder icons thread just because that one has gotten too long Wink

I'm about ready to package the final set of internal icons to send to Patrick for Neo 2 Beta, but I have a few questions to ask everyone first.

1) Do we want these icons to appear in just the default set, or in the Industrial, Crystal, and HiContrast ones as well?

2) We don't really have "true" high-contrast icons; I've been substituting the 1-bit versions of the Finder icons for the high-contrast icons in the default set. Unfortunately, the way the high-contrast stuff works, it doesn't pull the high-contrast versions from the default set unless the OS is in high-contrast mode (not sure if that even works in Mac OS X or is implemented in Neo if it does). So, to get the high-contrast icons, you have to use the "HiContrast" set. Unfortunately, to make the HiContrast set use the high-contrast icons instead of normal 32-bit Aqua ones, you have to copy and rename the icons, e.g.

for axNNNNN.png in folder
cp axhNNNNN.png axNNNNN.png
end

where 'a' is either "l" or "s" and 'NNNNN' is a 5-digit number (except some icons don't follow this pattern and instead are foo.png and foo_h.png and so forth). I've yet to build a script that does this to populate the HiContrast set....

So, what do we do about HiContrast if we want Neo icons in all sets?

3) Has anyone been able to test the set I posted earlier?

4) If so, did you notice any mis-placed icons or OOo-document icons that were un-replaced somewhere?

I'm going to post an updated set (based on Daniel's 1.1 set) with improved instructions (thanks to yoxi, even if he never got them working Sad ) shortly which, pending decisions on HiContrast, will hopefully be the final set I get Patrick to include in the Neo build.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject:

New version 0.9.1 of the internal icons now up, with even better instructions Wink (fully tested ones, in fact!)

http://www.mindspring.com/~alqahira/neoj/neo2toolbarv091.zip

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
New version 0.9.1 of the internal icons now up, with even better instructions Wink (fully tested ones, in fact!)

It worked - euroq!!

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

For me, it works within NeoOffice itself, but not in the Finder (I tried relaunching it, rebooting and even clearing my user's and system caches). I still get the old Finder icons, even for OpenDocument and .sx* files. I also attempted to get the documents to be open in OpenOffice.org/X11, relaunched the Finder, then switched back to Neo and relaunched again. But I still see the old icons.

I followed your instructions to the letter BTW.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

The Finder icons aren't part of this set, these are just for NeoOffice internal use in the toolbar and the file-picker (e.g. open, save).

The Finder icons are to be found at http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/NeoOfficeAquaElements.dmg - if you want instructions on how to install them, see my post a little way down this page of the icons redesign thread...

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

Oh OK thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Smokey

Very nice work, thank you! And I think it is pretty cool that you not only offer us a drop-down menu, based on the new document icons, you also changed the icons for most of the preferences. Now only the icons for the internet preferences, and the open/save preferences are still ugly. They have always been ugly, but now, in comprehension to the other new nice icons, it makes them even more ugly. I think they should be replaced as well.

And if it's too late to replace them in the Beta Release, then it should be done in the following Release (rc, or final or what ever it might be).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Now only the icons for the internet preferences, and the open/save preferences are still ugly. They have always been ugly, but now, in comprehension to the other new nice icons, it makes them even more ugly. I think they should be replaced as well.

And if it's too late to replace them in the Beta Release, then it should be done in the following Release (rc, or final or what ever it might be).

I agree (the languages ones are still awful in the default set, too)...but I think we'll wait until the release following Beta.

I have an icon already for Languages, and now that Pinstripe is under the tri-license (i.e., we can use icons created from its sources in GPL software), I think we'll have an easy time replacing Open/Save and Internet Wink

Yellow folders are also on my hit-list....

One thing to note about the current set is that we actually replace more icons than OOo does; if you get Properties on certain old-style file formats (the sd* ones, which fabrizio i know uses sometimes), the icon there is a StarOffice icon instead of an OOo one Wink

yoxi, glad the new version worked! Very glad!

Opinions on what to do with Crystal and Industrial and HiContrast?

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
yoxi, glad the new version worked! Very glad!
Opinions on what to do with Crystal and Industrial and HiContrast?

Ta - actually, I turned your instructions into a bash script and stuffed the new icons into images_crystal.zip, since that's the icon set I'm using Smile

I don't see a problem using these icons with all the icon sets - unless Mr Pimley wants to design a hicontrast alternative version of his icons for folk with poor vision, otherwise they'll be the same icons that folk are getting in their Finder, so they'll be familiar, at least.

- padmavyuha
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I don't see a problem using these icons with all the icon sets - unless Mr Pimley wants to design a hicontrast alternative version of his icons for folk with poor vision, otherwise they'll be the same icons that folk are getting in their Finder, so they'll be familiar, at least.

I've never looked at the hi-contrast icons so I don't know the requirements. It's certainly something I can investigate but it's not going to happen by the July 15th Aqua Elements deadline. A complete Aqua icon set is something I'm considering making a start on in the future but in the mean time your efforts are much appreciated.

Everyone's efforts, that is!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:

Having heard no objections to yoxi's proposal to replace the requisite icons in all sets with the ones based on djpimley's Finder icons, and no objections about missing or misplaced icons, and we're rapidly approaching the July 15 deadline, I'm uploading v1.0 of the set and will ask Patrick to apply the icons to all four of the sets that ship with Neo 2.

http://www.mindspring.com/~alqahira/neoj/neo2toolbarv10.zip

The only changes in this archive are an updated readme (mentioning that you can apply the same steps to all of the sets) and the source .psd/.icns files for the "generic template" icon, which I realized I'd forgotten to include in v0.9.1 Embarassed

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Ditto, Thanks
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Smokey

FYI. I have integrated these icons into the Neo 2.0 Aqua Beta build. If you are building Neo 2.0 Aqua Beta, after tonight's anoncvs sync you will need to "cvs update -d" the neojava directory to get all of the new files and then rebuild the installer. Also note that even after you rebuild and run the installer, you will have to relaunch the Finder to see the new icons in the Finder.

Thanks Smokey for the new icons!

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1