Creating an Aqua toolbar icon set

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Those have all been superseded by icons from Daniel and Armando, or should have; I understood from Armando that his set from before 2.1 EA had all of those icons I formerly provided, as tweaked by either him or Daniel, unless they were included in Daniel's package.

So I should remove it from my build? Then how do the file type icons get into the images_crystal.zip, images_hicontrast.zip, images_industrial.zip?

I had been applying your icons to images.zip plus the above three zip files so that the popup that shows file type will have the NeoOffice icon. The NeoOfficeAquaElements and Akua icons wer being applied to only the images.zip file.

What is the correct order for overlaying each of these three icon packages over each of the four zip files?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Oh, crud; I had forgotten about the other 3 icon themes.

Since we're on a deadline here, let's do this:

1. Apply my existing "neo2toolbarv10" set of files to the 3 image_foo.zip files, and also to images.zip as the first of the packs.

2. Ask Daniel and Armando whose pack should be applied second and third to images.zip.

That will ensure that the NeoOffice document icons get applied to the toolbar, but that any tweaked icons Daniel or Armando have provided will overwrite any older ones of mine in the Akua theme.

Then, well before the next release, I will coordinate with Daniel and Armando such that we have an updated package of with all the latest versions of the NeoOffice document icons that we can apply to all 4 icon sets, and something else for the remainder of the Akua set.

How's that?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
1. Apply my set of files to images.zip and the 3 image_foo.zip files first.

2. Ask Daniel and Armando whose set should be applied second and third to images.zip.

Effectively, this is what my build is doing now.

Daniel's NeoOfficeAquaElements icons get applied first. But since Daniel's icons only go into the NeoOffice.app/Contents/Resources (so that the Finder can see them), Daniel's icons have no conflict with Armando's.

Your icons are applied second (which means first to all of the OOo images*.zip files).

Armando's icons get applied third to images.zip only.

So, if you gave me a list of the icons in Armando's package that should be applied to the other three, I can add that fairly quickly to the build script. Or, if it should only apply Armando's icon files that exist in your package, I can script that as well.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Oh, this is messy Sad

Daniel's latest .dmg has an "images" folder that contains icons that go in images.zip, some of which also need to go in the other images* zips, and some of those that need to go into images.zip (16x16 and 26x26) are named such that they need to be processed by Iconic in order to end up in the right place in the (Akua) images.zip Sad

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject:

Why would you change the other images.zip? As long as the default one has all of our shiny new icons, you might as well leave the Gnome and Crystal sets untouched. For those who feel like having Neo more ugly, and because it isn't worth the worries.

Edit: with the exception of the new document icons, maybe..

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:

Wowee Zowee this got complicated while I was in bed!

Here's what's in my Aqua Elements package:

1) Finder icons in "Resources" (unchanged from previous version)
2) Splash images in "MacOS" (unchanged from previous version)
3a) Icons in "svtools" and "svx" ready to be applied to images.zip
3b) Icons in "26x26" and "16x16" that need to go through Iconic.

Now previously Armando has taken my package and used Iconic to inject the 26px and 16px toolbar icons, and his own 26px and 16px icons, into a replacement images.zip. This was the agreement we reached so I could provide icons to Armando with the same naming convention (Iconic) that he was using, and so that we didn't have competing sets of toolbar images being applied to images.zip.

So Armando needs to grab my update from a few days ago and make sure all my new additions are added to his collection.

Then Ed (oopsy what I meant was...) Patrick can apply:

1) Smokey's icons
2) My "Resources", "MacOS", "svx" and "svtools"
3) Armando's replacement images.zip (with my latest icons included)

Is that a plan?

Last edited by djpimley on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
ace_dent
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Complexity

Hi Guys.

Not sure if the following might help...
when the icon sets get built from custom_images (i.e. crystal / industrial / tango), we fall back to using the images from default_images in place of any missing icons. Since you are changing the default mime / application icons, it is only necessary to update them in default_images and then delete the corresponding images from the custom sets. This will then ensure all icon themes use the same app icons. (Note: fallback is done only at build not run-time).

However, this wont help your problem of essential misnamed files that have relied on Iconic.

Cheers.
Punto_Mac
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So Armando needs to grab my update from a few days ago and make sure all my new additions are added to his collection.

My replacement images.zip with our latest icons installed:

http://homepage.mac.com/punto_mac/projects/neo/downloads/Akua_March_Release.dmg

Armando
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted the steps that I am going to use based on everyone's instructions in the "Change the order...." task in this NeoWiki page. Please let me know if I misunderstood the process.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject:

That sounds correct, if far too complicated Sad (or at least given my tired state).

I promise to sort this out so that those steps can be reduced substantially for the next release, and I apologize again for forgetting about putting those document icons into the other sets.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I promise to sort this out so that those steps can be reduced substantially for the next release, and I apologize again for forgetting about putting those document icons into the other sets.

These are merely shell commands in a makefile so these are not difficult.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject:

Without this method all this stuff had to be manually done (e.g. mount this, copy this, zip this, etc.). It should be taken as a gift that now it can be executed by a computer instead of a long series of error-prone steps by a human, myself included.

We've chosen to spend the extra time documenting the release process in terms of steps that are easy and less error-prone for others to reproduce...including for our ourselves during future releases.

In the meantime if shell scripting and makefiles aren't your thing feel free to take a few steps back and marvel at just what you can accomplish with the magic incantations of sed, awk, a shell, the unholy perl, etc. Witness the casting of the runes, and be impressed. Or at least confused. Or take your turn at casting some runes and claim parts of the release process. Or sit back and experience the tedium that is the release process of a major open source application from a comfortable distance while your bracket beats mine into a bloody, lifeless mass that is ashamed of even having seen the light of the Sun (Duke sucks).

No apologies necessary for the icons and your distribution mechanisms...all y'all have done a great job Smile We've integrated them already and perhaps with more work will have ways of automating this process of integrating them in the future.

This is a blueprint; perhaps others can erect the structure. In the meantime I'm content with typing a few lines of shell script here and there. It's incredibly minor when compared against the time that went into designing all of these icons in the first place Very Happy

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have implemented the new ordering of applying the three icon packages and committed it in the NeoOffice makefile. It looks good in my build but can someone download my images.zip file and verify?

http://download.neooffice.org/test/images.zip

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
It looks good in my build but can someone download my images.zip file and verify?

Something's wrong. Your new images.zip doesn't have my symbol shapes or star shapes. I've confirmed that Armando's most recent Akua release includes these icons. The missing icons are in the Drawing toolbar.

Note: I've just realised to my embarrassment that I haven't replaced the cloud callout shape. Embarassed Within the hour I'm going to post an update to my package to add this missing icon. I know this complicates matters and it means more last minute work for Armando and Patrick so please ignore it if you haven't got time to fuss with it.

NeoOffice Aqua Elements 2.1.070317
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
pluby wrote:
It looks good in my build but can someone download my images.zip file and verify?

Something's wrong. Your new images.zip doesn't have my symbol shapes or star shapes. I've confirmed that Armando's most recent Akua release includes these icons. The missing icons are in the Drawing toolbar.

My mistake. In my sleepiness last night I uploaded the images.zip from my Neo 2.1 EA installation. I've reuploaded the correct images.zip to the same URL. Can you verify that that one works?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 21 of 25