Supplemental Programs Dev Info

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
what happens if you have more than one copy of either installed? currently i have neo/j1.1, neo alpha installed, does .org.neooffice.neoffice only point to the last version installed?

I would recommend that you adapt my GPL patch installer. It really is ideally suited to what you are doing and the only coding is a handful of short Bourne shell scripts.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

i'll admit i dismissed the installer idea by making some assumptions:

i assumed that an installer program couldn't be drag and drop compatible
i assumed that an installer program couldn't use preferences

(not that applescript can, but i've written a work around)

so i will take a look at that code (once i figure out how to get it Wink )

the main concern is that i was writing the clip art program to be a reusable program, rather than a one shot installer.

-j, who has been thinking applescript all morning
(probably with perl syntax though)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i assumed that an installer program couldn't be drag and drop compatible

But if you are search for and updating OOo and Neo paths, you aren't using a drag and drop installer, are you? After all, both OOo and Neo have permissions restrctions so you are going to run into the issue a how do you write to these things without the installer switching to admin mode. Right?

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

currently i have the program running a shell script to unzip 'with administrator privledges' which prompts the user for a password.

the zip file is then unzipped into the Neo.app (or OO.o.app) into the gallery folder. (along with a stupid __MACOSX folder sometimes...grr)

i was looking for the program rather than have the user input it, just to make it as easy to use as possible. but having them look can be done too.

i was just thinking about those of us who have multiple installs of the same program, just wanted to know what the org.neooffice.neooffice points too.

hm. when i get home i should be able to get what i've finished together in a presentable form. I'll do that and get the code up for inspection. maybe that will better explain what path I am taking. (I'm out of beer though, so be nice).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
currently i have the program running a shell script to unzip 'with administrator privledges' which prompts the user for a password.

the zip file is then unzipped into the Neo.app (or OO.o.app) into the gallery folder. (along with a stupid __MACOSX folder sometimes...grr)

Well then you can just use the shell scripts that I use to find installations and ditch the installer.

One gotcha, however, is that currently reinstallation of NeoOffice will wipe out any custom files that you unzip in NeoOffice. Are you sure you don't want to keep these files outside of the OOo and NeoOffice installations?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
what happens if you have more than one copy of either installed? currently i have neo/j1.1, neo alpha installed, does .org.neooffice.neoffice only point to the last version installed?

It points to whichever one LaunchServices has determined is the app to launch (in most cases, it's the last installed version or the version with the highest version number, but not always; LaunchServices sucks)....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
One gotcha, however, is that currently reinstallation of NeoOffice will wipe out any custom files that you unzip in NeoOffice.

Really? It preserved all my images.zip testfiles and the Arabic dictionary I installed.

Or do you just special-case certain folders that have known user-installable content?

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

One gotcha, however, is that currently reinstallation of NeoOffice will wipe out any custom files that you unzip in NeoOffice. Are you sure you don't want to keep these files outside of the OOo and NeoOffice installations?

Patrick

I would Strongly vote for NOT putting these files (Graphics, Clipart, etc) INSIDE the installations.
They would be best suited in the /Users folder - something like ~/documents/folder-contents-name

Not sure what problems that causes to your scripts, to add them to OOo/Neo Gallerys.

It would be kinda nice if the Users could supply the Folder location (or FolderS) and have the script create the Gallery links. How? - Mystery to me! Embarassed

Philip ( even adding clipart folders - one-at-a-time would be ... nice! Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Or do you just special-case certain folders that have known user-installable content?

I have custom code to handle the special folders that I know need to be preserved from an older NeoOffice installation. Mostly this included localizations and fonts.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

(running late, sorry if this is broken english)

I had thought about "installing" them outside of the program...

but then, what would be the purpose of this program? most people should be able to unzip files in a folder. though putting it somewhere else is completely possible, and easy to change.

ok, so here is what i have

http://neo-downloads.sixthcrusade.com/clipartv0.1a.zip

if you just double click it, the 'preference' dialog should come up. right now openoffice.org won't work because it has a space in the name. (i'll rant later)

now, if you drop a .zip file on it, it will (after you enter your admin password) unzip it into your neo installation.

it does not check (yet) to make sure you are in fact using a .zip file, so don't try it.

here is a place to get zips

http://www.geocities.com/pbmaunet/Page_four

the wiki has been updated with the code as well. i'll work on it more later, but as i said, i'm late.

-j, the white rabbit ninja
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
if you just double click it, the 'preference' dialog should come up. right now openoffice.org won't work because it has a space in the name. (i'll rant later)

Just doing a drive-by myself, but "quoted form of POSIX path" should do what you want....

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject:

thank you, i'll give it a shot. i knew what to do, just couldn't find the applescript syntax...

edit - yup that was it, the .ZIP file has been updated, as the code on the wiki.

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject:

so i've been thinking more about this 'things will get deleted' part. an option would be to have a list of previously installed folders and a 'reinstall' button. that shouldn't be too hard. (though if they are drag and drop there would have to be some backin' up going on)

while having the program put the files elsewhere, it doesn't really make sense. if you were just going to make a folder in your pictures directory for the gallery, you don't really need this (which is basically a wrapper around an 'unzip' command)

now, if i could figure out how to set up the 'themes' part in oo.o automatically, then it would return to being useful even if the 'gallery' folder was not used.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

hm. i wonder if this should be its own topic...

http://neo-downloads.sixthcrusade.com/clipartv0.1a-3.zip

ok, here is the a3 version. i have made it so it checks that you are trying to use a .zip file. i have also added the -o parameter to the unzip command. this will overwrite already unzipped files. mostly this is for that __MACOSX folder.

If some of you could run some tests and let me know what you find, it would be appreciative. If no real bugs come back, i'll consider the 0.1 alpha version complete and move 0.1 to beta and start on 0.2.

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Here are icons for individual programs of OpenOffice.org X11

http://neo-downloads.sixthcrusade.com/oooiconsv0.1a-1.zip

this is a modified version of the applescript that is included in the OO.o.app file.

known issues:

* the program does not stay open. rather the applescript closes after it has opened openoffice.org

* the applescripts do not start the oo.o.app applescript, leaving only X11 in the dock.

* i need to change the icon of each to match

I have added the code to the wiki. i do not suspect that there will be many more versions of these. again if some of you can test these out and get back to me that would be appreciative.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6