NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chartsmalm
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Opening Multiple files

My config:
Mac-mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
Mac OS X (10.4.7)

I am a newbie to Mac and to NeoOffice. The answer to my question might be in the netwrok setup in Mac - rather than NeoOffice. Please bear with me and send me in the right direction.

In MS Excel, I have a particular project where I open 2 or 3 w.s. and display them horizontally, and cut and paste from one to the other. It is not a situation that is suited to formulae because the data location varies from mont to month.

I find that when I point to an .xls shared file on the XP machine, it opens up a spreadsheet in NeoOffice, beautifully and up to expectations. Then, when I click on the file opening icon in NeoOffice, I cannot locate the other files that are in the same XP shared directory. I did find the Network in the file opening popup window. When I click on it, the Mac is the only machine displayed. There are four empty folders below the Mac folder. Four is the count of windows machines in the workgroup.

It strikes me that since they are acknowledged by the empty folders I must have goofed somewhere in the network setup. Suggestions?

And if the opening problem gets solved, how do I set up NeoOffice for the horizontal multiple w.s. display?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

With Neo, all of the other hard drives and network mounted XP drives will be in the folder called "Volumes". If you go up folders until you can't go up any more, you'll find you're in a director named "/". Look for the "Volumes" folder in this directory. Inside of it you should be able to see your XP network mount along with any other hard drives attached to the system.

Note that starting with 2.0 Aqua Beta this will no longer be necessary as we're going to be using the same file dialogs as all other Mac applications.

ed
chartsmalm
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

Ed:

Thanks. That was easy enough and quite logical. I have a lot of new semantics to learn - but , it's a ball.

Do you happen to know the answer to my question about creating a screen that shows 2, or more spreadsheets, in separate windows all visible at one time. MS Excel calls it "Arrange" As you undoubtedly know it resizes the w.s.'s to fit and eliminates duplication of the toolbar. The one toolbar applies to the active w.s.

I found that I could open multiple w.s. in NeoOffice. But, the only way I could find to see both simultaneously was by resizing both. If I would have had 3 I doubt that it would have been succesful. Lots of work and lots of wasted spce with multiple tool bars.

Is there a better way?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to do window rearrangement to fill monitor space in OOo or Neo. Hopefully someone else will have an answer Smile You may want to check out some of the other OOo support fora to see if someone's written a macro that could add that functionality in.

I probably never had that problem since I tend to be an Expose freak. I've always got my configuration set up so one of the screen corners triggers the "Application Windows" Expose feature. If the monitor's big enough, you should be able to still grok the contetns of all of the spreadsheets in that app only window Expose mode.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1