· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Keyboard "freezes"
Keyboard "freezes"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Keyboard "freezes"

Recently I've been having trouble with the keyboard "freezing" sporadically in Neo. I had previously experienced bug 1715, where the keyboard freezes when changing font color from the palette. But the test patch fixed that problem.

I cannot currently pin down the exact steps to trigger this, although sometimes it appears to be related to control-clicking a misspelled word to correct it or add to a dictionary. If I open a new Neo document or switch to another app and type a few characters, I can return to the problematic document and the characters I typed while it was "frozen" appear, and the keyboard "unfreezes." On at least one occasion, I have been able to use the keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Command-S) when the keyboard was frozen for text input.

It's possible that it's related to my other post about slow-downs and NAV, but I'm not sure that's the case. (with spell-check slowdowns, the Activity Monitor tops out; that doesn't happen with the keyboard freezes).

This may be coincidental, but the slowdown started happening after I started using Apple's Speech Recognition option, which itself has been somewhat buggy. But I'm reasonably sure that the keyboard freezes have also happened when I've had Speech Recognition turned off.

I've got the latest version and patch for NeoOffice for PPC, system 10.4.7

Since I can't list a series of reliable steps to reproduce this, I can't file a bug report yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can try to either track down or eliminate the cause?

Last edited by Lorinda on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

Are you using the latest test patch in bug 1715?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

As far as I know. I downloaded Patch4 Test 2 and ran it a while back. (I'm "hoovmoss" in Bugzilla.) When I open NeoOffice, it just says NeoOffice Aqua Beta 3 Patch 4; nothing about Test 2; should I run the test patch again?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:

The latest is test patch 3. The test patch number does not show up in the About window of NeoOffice. Try redownloading the patch (downloading patch 2 will automatically download patch 3).

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

I have reopened bug 1715 as the freezing occurred for me today using Patch 6.

I have posted a test patch with a possible fix in that bug. Can some people test this test patch out and add any comments about it in the bug?

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I see this bug with beta 3 patch 6 intel, will look at your fix patch and see if it works.
barefootguru
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard "freezes"

Lorinda wrote:
Recently I've been having trouble with the keyboard "freezing" sporadically in Neo.

This seems to be the same bug as I've found and posted about recently http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3390

As you've found, using the ctrl key seems to be the most common trigger, and most of the time, the keystrokes are buffered and re-appear when switching to a different document. I've now struck it in both Calc and Writer.
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Keyboard "freezes"

I've recently installed patch 6 for intel and am experienceing the same Keyboard freezing issues which is a total drag. would any of you be so kind as to guide me to an text patches or fixes that may help my problem

thanks

-noah
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

Welcome to Trinity! If you click on the link in Patrick's post above (the underlined 1715), you will directed to Bugzilla, Neo's bug tracking "forum." Related test patches are posted there. If you register, you can add yourself to the CC list. In theory, you should then be alerted by e-mail to new comments/patches on this bug. Be aware, however, that several of us are not currently receiving e-mail from the "cc" system, so you should probably check back periodically until the issue is resolved.
barefootguru
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard "freezes"

assistant3 wrote:
I've recently installed patch 6 for intel and am experienceing the same Keyboard freezing issues which is a total drag. would any of you be so kind as to guide me to an text patches or fixes that may help my problem

pluby's linked to a test patch above, but for 3 of 4 people it hasn't helped. My quickest workaround is switching to a different document (which then receives the buffered keystrokes), and switching back to the original document.

pluby: downloading now, will update bug 1715 with results.
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard "freezes"

barefootguru wrote:
assistant3 wrote:

pluby's linked to a test patch above, but for 3 of 4 people it hasn't helped. My quickest workaround is switching to a different document (which then receives the buffered keystrokes), and switching back to the original document.

pluby: downloading now, will update bug 1715 with results.

To this end can anyone tell me if there is another patch in the works to fix this problem or if I sould unistall neo office and then reinstall it will a patch that works.

The whole toggling back and forth thing could become a real pain after a while

thaks
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Just keep following the Bugzilla bug report for new patches. Patrick has been dilligently working on this one, but it has been proving ellusive to pin down. You can help by following the bugzilla thread, downloading patches when available, and reporting back the results.

Yes, the work around gets wearisome quickly, but this is one of the trade-offs involved in using open source software, especially when it is in Beta. When I get frustrated with this particular bug, I remind myself that a)what can be done is being done and b)It's better than spending $150+ on MS Office.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

It's a Java 1.5-related bug, right? So you can just switch Neo into Java 1.4.2 mode until Patrick has a new test patch for you to test, correct?

Smokey
who has only one version of Java available....

Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Keyboard "freezes"

Lorinda wrote:
Just keep following the Bugzilla bug report for new patches. Patrick has been dilligently working on this one, but it has been proving ellusive to pin down. You can help by following the bugzilla thread, downloading patches when available, and reporting back the results.

Yes, the work around gets wearisome quickly, but this is one of the trade-offs involved in using open source software, especially when it is in Beta. When I get frustrated with this particular bug, I remind myself that a)what can be done is being done and b)It's better than spending $150+ on MS Office.

Thanks for the Bugzilla tip. I'm totally new to the whole open source thing and am totally into it for both financial and political reasons. So if keeping track of the fixes is what it takes to pitch in then I'm more than willing.

Thanks to everyone a open and neo for their work
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestion, Smokey. Part of my brain had wondered if changing Java versions would help, but it never made it to full consciousness!

Assistant 3:

To expand on Smokey's suggestion: in Neo Office, under the NeoOffice menu, choose "Preferences" (or hit Command-,). Click on the "flippy triangle" next to NeoOffice in the left hand panel. Click on "Java." Wait for a minute for the Java options available to you to load. Click in the "radio button" next to the entry for version 1.4.2. You will be told you need to restart NeoOffice. Quit NeoOffice; the next time you restart Neo will use Java 1.4.2.

I just did the same thing myself; I haven't had a chance to see if it fixes the keyboard freeze issue yet. If you find it does, that would be a helpful note to add to the bug report (unless someone else has done so).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3