Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice- Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads
OpenOffice- Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice- Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads

OpenOffice Document - Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads Up

If you work mostly in a Mac OS X environment, you may be largely unaware of Unix/Linux conventions in file management.

I have had a failure in Open Office when I tried to save documents ported in a file which was itself in a folder copied onto a flash ram device and ported to my Linux Laptop.

The Error Message made it look like a likely KDE failure. It was not.

You see, a single user on a Mac OS X Box doesn't necessarily "know" he or she is "running as Root". A folder copied and ported has "root" permissions. If you are running as a User on your Linux Machine, as is a good Unix Box habit, the "root" file permissions will deny you permission to save an opened file.

The fix is to open a Root File Browser window and set permissions to yourself as a User. Only a Dumb long time Mac Guy like me would be stymied a whole month by such a silly newbie goof up. GRIN Rolling Eyes
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:

I guess I don't understand why your Mac OS X user files would be owned by root in the first place.

Are you logging into your Mac as root? If not, I do know that NeoOffice will not run when you logged in as root precisely because you could potentially overwrite anything in your Mac.

Or are you trying to save files to within the NeoOffice.app folder. If so, the write failure is on purpose as writing inside the app folder means could potentially corrupt the NeoOffice installation.

Patrick
Leo
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Linux- Mac OS X file exchange: This sounds right!

Linux- Mac OS X file exchange: This sounds right,
The Mac OS X is innocent.....

Unless you reformatted the flash drive, very likely the filesystem was fat or vfat and the files did not contain any ownership or permissions because the filesystem does not support it.

When a fat/vfat filesystem is mounted on Linux it normally defaults the ownership to root unless different uid/gid is specified in the mount command...

On 7/31/06, T. Joseph Carter <<mailto:knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>knghtbrd@bluecherry.net> wrote:
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux- Mac OS X file exchange: This sounds right!

Leo wrote:

Unless you reformatted the flash drive, very likely the filesystem was fat or vfat and the files did not contain any ownership or permissions because the filesystem does not support it.

When a fat/vfat filesystem is mounted on Linux it normally defaults the ownership to root unless different uid/gid is specified in the mount command...

Ahhh! Very interesting. I remember someone have this same problem in one our bugs a few months ago. Unfortunately, it took us all several weeks to figure out that the FAT filesystem formatting was the culprit. Sad

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject:

To the WIKI with it!

Wiki a solution - Save a User (question!!)

Philip (The Wiki Knows all, Sees ALL, but it only works it you ... read it! tee Hee RTFM Wink )
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Philip (The Wiki Knows all, Sees ALL, but it only works it you ... read it! tee Hee RTFM Wink )

Surely that should be RTFW! Wink

Andy
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject:

I think I mentioned it earlier but never followed up...

If anyone has any ideas about how to improve the visibility or availability of the wiki for users, let me know. Perhaps a consoloidation of the user support sticky topics here?

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

OK, RTFW (that ought to confuse some ... more folks! Wink )

Ed,

How to: "improve the visibility or availability of the wiki for users"?

1. The first thought that comes to my mind - is to Beat them over the head with it? (RTFW Shocked ) No? drat - it made me feel ... better! Rolling Eyes

2. expanded box (and bigger font size) on the left side that has just the Wiki labeled something like " Vast Source of NeoOffice knowledge"? Really YELL it out!

3. Some kind of "compressed" table of contents on the Wiki. NOT the criptic Special pages Special pages link.
It took me several weeks to figure what that meant. And then it's ... very limited.
3.1 Most web sites have some kind of "Site Map" links so you can get the lay of the land - with a clearly labeled link.
3.2 It does not have to be too time / labor intensive.
Something like Neo/OOo history, Neo/OOo Modules (Write, Calc, ...), Installation, Problems, Fonts, etc.
THAT is what I look for when I go to a new Wiki/website. Smokey can't answer everyone's questions with a Wiki link - all by himself ('tho it seems that he does an Outstanding job of it! Wink ).

4. where did I put this ... statement Question

5. Enhance Wiki Random Page link to respect the Users default language? Don't know if that is possible. French / German Random pages don't help me, as much Confused

Philip ( RTFW - now what was the question?!? Rolling Eyes )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1