· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - mirrors, sites and one for all type of stuff
mirrors, sites and one for all type of stuff

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: mirrors, sites and one for all type of stuff

the following is a suggestion only:

i've been thinking, (which is usually dangerous) that we need to add some cohesiveness (even if i can't spell it) to the various sites, starting with neooffice.org itself.

so here is what i propose:
first would be to ditch phpnuke. for NeoOffice.org itself, either use slashcode, or the PHPbb Slash mod, which would allow the forum and the news to still be in the same place. (slash code would create separate forum and news sections, while not a bad idea, does involve some separation) Then for the forum, just have PHPbb.

For safety, we should mirror the DB elsewhere (i should be able to dig up a MySQL mirror prog somewhere).

there is a lot of information in these forums, some of which is hard to get to. perhaps a help site (maybe Wiki?) which we can build information in a usuable fashion. (perhaps a mirror-duty?)

i don't think we need a logo, per se, but definatly some sort of identity. also, i think there needs to be made a link page with all the mirrors/sites/whatevers that are availible to be seen.

These are of course just suggestions, some of which i plan to do on my mirror anyway. I wanted to know what everyone thought, and see what other thoughts/suggestions there were.

-j
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: I agree with Jake

Collecting the informations spreaded of the forum in a Wiki or a small team of authors who maintain something like a NeoOffice-documentation would be a good thing, especially for "newcomers".

A little bit "corporate identity" would be nice, too and a link page is also a good suggestion.

Thomas

Last edited by schlesi on Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea. In particular, managing all of the NeoJ web page changes and translations has become a bit cumbersome now that we have 5 languages and several mirrors.

Would it make sense to set up a test site for NeoJ and we can take a look at it to see how we can migrate our existing content over?

Since the number of NeoJ users is growing quite large, I makes sense to move the NeoJ content off of Ed's servers so that we aren't saturating his bandwidth.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

starting with Neo/J would seem to be a good place, however i'd be concerned with too much separation between the two, wouldn't want to have the same questions in two places...

but

starting with Neo/J would give us a chance to put everything together.

thomas, i like the idea of small team of neo-documentation writers. do you think a wiki is a good idea? or perhaps something else? I'd liek to keep things as easy as possible...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Moving the forums over would be confusing. But would moving the NeoJ web pages at www.planamesa.com/neojava to some sort of centralized place be feasible?

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Wiki

Jake,

I don't have much experience with a Wiki (but I have had a look at the german part of the wikipedia project), so I would say, let's try it out.

I think, the main problem could be an inhomogenous presentation (e. g. different terms for the same thing and different ways of explaining/describing things), but let's try it out!

I think, an important point is to get more people interested in NeoOffice. There should be more developers for NeoOffice than Ed and Dan. May be we could get some with an attractive documentation.

The visitors should also get the impression of an ongoing project, see that there is "life in". Only a project which seems "capable of living" will get a critical mass of interested people, I think. So project-news and a little bit "advertising" with a well-done website would help.

I think, Patrick's website could be a good example, I got the impression that NeoOffice/J gots a lot of users, and his website may helped to that.

So my conclusion is:
- Let's set up a Wiki for user documentation
- Let build a well-looking website (in Germany we say "the eyes join in eating")

Ok, so we should find a good Wiki-system. Any suggestions?

In my favourite german computer magazine, there was a Wiki-test in the first December-issue (MediaWiki, MoinMoin, PhpWiki, TWiki, UserModWiki). It seems, the best of the tested systems are MoinMoin (http://moin.sourceforge.net/) and MediaWiki (http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/).

Thomas[/url]

Last edited by schlesi on Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject:

patrick,

i have web space to set up extra sites (putting on more URLs or subdomains is easy).

thomas,

i don't know much about wiki's either, but i'll look into those two and see about setting one up this weekend.

biggest thing is that once n/j cuts and pastes i think we should slashdot it, (or macslash it to say the least) and get ready for it.

and i agree, i wish there were more developers (i wish i could be one, but i'd have to focus more on programming and i still have these dreams of being a novelest and a astronaut and don juan demarco...).

besides, we don't want KOffice to get the jump on us. Wink

ok, so tasks for me will be setting up the wiki. patrick, we'll coordinate the neo/j pages, even if you don't want them moved i can still help develop organize.

-j
Apricot
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: kwiki

For what it's worth, I'm running a Kwiki <http://kwiki.org>. I picked it because I know Perl and it was very easy to set up.
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: need help ?

I can contribute some time working on the web stuff, as soon as a solution emerges. I have no knowledge of the different Wiki/forum packages, hence no advice on the choice. But I can dig in when, and if, needed to help a bit.
If useful, I also have some (not much) web space around, and one MySQL base available. As these web resources are sparse, I'd better contribute with working time.
So, feel free to ask.

Max
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ok, the wiki is up and running,

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com

all i ask is that first you go to the 'preferences' button and put in some sort of user name to track who is doing what.

i'll work on getting it to look nicer (templates are cool)

-j
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Great! Now, let's start filling the Wiki Wink

Thomas
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Which Wiki-software?

Jake,

which Wiki-software do you use? I can't use the font-tags being described at http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide:_Editing_pages.

Thomas
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm using one called WikiTikiTavi

formatting info can be found here:

http://tavi.sourceforge.net/TaviFeatures

-j

(Wiki was chosen after many hours of yelling at many types of wikis)
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject:

Ok, so for the links page, what should we have listed?

There are the obvious ones
NeoOffice
NeoOffice/j
OpenOffice
the mirrors (someone have a list of these?)
Start OpenOffice
NeoWiki

What else?

and on the note of the wiki, is the software good? or should we go to another?

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject:

I took a look at the Wiki site and, maybe I got the wrong impression, but the Wiki site seems to be very NeoOffice centric.

Is the intent for the Wiki site to be a site to encourage NeoOffice development? If so, then I will most likely keep the NeoOffice/J content at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava as moving the pages would probably just muddy up the site and confuse the people that you are targeting.

Comments?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2