Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - question about NeoLight and ODB files
question about NeoLight and ODB files

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: question about NeoLight and ODB files

Hi! First, thanks a lot for NeoLight. It is very useful.

I noticed recently that Spotlight doesn't find ODB files (database files made with Base). I wonder if it is because NeoOffice 2.0 has been released only recently. If so, do you plan do update NeoLight plugin to support ODB files?

Also, I noticed that in the webpage http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoLight, the link to download the plugin http://trinity.neooffice.org/downloads/neolight_installer.pkg.tgz is broken. Could you put it back so that Mac users who wishes to only install OpenOffice.org X11 could benefit from it? It is not my case since I use both NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org X11. But I can imagine that some people would want to only install one (or may not have enough hard disk room to install both…)

Anyway, I just want to say thanks again.
Yannick, from France
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

Not sure why the Wiki's link is broken (it may have happened when Ed put Trinity on the new server), but the NeoLight plugin can be downloaded from here.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

I may be wrong, but there isn't much point in indexing .odb files as all they contain is the cosmetic side of the database , ie all the forms and reports and the SQL of queries. All of the data lives in whatever kind of database you are using, be it a spreadsheet, MySQL etc.

Andy.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I may be wrong, but there isn't much point in indexing .odb files as all they contain is the cosmetic side of the database , ie all the forms and reports and the SQL of queries. All of the data lives in whatever kind of database you are using, be it a spreadsheet, MySQL etc.

AFAIK, an .odb file can contain the database content. Depends on the database (internal or external) that people are using.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: thanks, ovvldc is right

Thanks to all for your replies. Regarding ODB files, ovvldc is right. They can contain the data (like MS Access), which is for many people the simple way to go. It is my case, as I created databases for my collection of DVD and for a list of friends with addresses, tel, e-mail,etc. It would be very nice for me if Spotlight could index these databases.

Thanks again. Hopefully, NeoLight 1.2 will be able to solve this problem.

Yannick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks, ovvldc is right

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks again. Hopefully, NeoLight 1.2 will be able to solve this problem.

Yannick, could you file a feature request in Bugzilla against this shortcoming? Just to keep it on Ed's radar when he gets back Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, sorry I missed this topic. Right now there is no indexing of odb files in the Spotlight plugin as it was made to really handle the older sx* files from OOo/Neo 1.x and just has compatibility for the newer formats. Definitely put it in BZ but I'll probably remember regardless. While I won't be indexing the contents of the database proper, it should be possible to do the standard keyword/author searching and maybe even on the text in forms.

ed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: couldn't put it in BugZilla

Thanks again to all. I just wanted to add that I tried to put it to BugZilla but couldn't do it. If somebody can do it for me/us, that would be very kind of him/her.

Have a nice day.

Yannick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:

NP. See Bug 1778.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Update: next version included with the Neo patch will index odb files. It will attempt to extract any standard metadata (seems to be missing from odb formatted files, though...) along with the following extra info for Spotlight search:

- names of saved forms
- names of defined tables
- column names in all defined tables

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1