NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
rays wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:
Do you think we should invest the time to just remove all of the "from scanner" style entries from our menus?

Might it be better to leave the menu item as is in order to keep the UI consistent with OOo on other platforms but selecting it brings up a window which explains why this feature is deliberately not implemented in NeoOffice and suggesting alternative strategies, such as...

Actually, I hate to be a party pooper, but this instruction wouldn't work for me. ...
Not sure how common that is, but maybe we need to add something like,
"If Image Capture conflicts with your current scanner software, just use the software you have"

Peter

I would also vote for leaving the menu items and pointing Mac NeoOffice uses to alternative ... strategies.
+1 for me

Philip ( hadn't really thought about Neo and Scanning, hmmmm Wink )
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject:

Well, I don't think we should wait for OOo to improve the scanning experience. I've just found these two bugs on the OOo qa site:

29854 ENHANC P3 All bh NEW scanning process counter-intuitive
40194 ENHANC P3 All requirements NEW Scanning of image not intuitive

The first one - 29854 - states:
Quote:
Currently the process of scanning a graphic into a document is:
Insert > Graphics > Scan > Select Source > Create Preview > OK
Then you have to know to hit Insert > Graphics > Scan > Request to make it happen.

The "OK" button on the scanning interface needs to be changed to "Final Scan"
and its function changed to achieve what presently requires OK then Insert >
Graphics > Scan > Request.

and has been on the books since June 2004!!

So, I still think it would be nice to at least warn users that they need SANE if they don't have it (at present nothing happens when you select the scan functions without the drivers - this is a "feature" of OOo, so Patrick is, rightly, reluctant to change it). In the longer term it would be much more preferrable to patch in support for the more normal TWAIN drivers - if that is feasible.

Andy.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:

For now, I'm not worried about scanner support. For better or for worse, here's my logic:

- It's a minor functionality of OOo.
- On Mac OS X there's a large set of applications that can use scanners much better than OOo/Neo, so for the most part workarounds exist for most all scanners (e.g. just capture the image in the other app, save it, then use Insert > Picture > From File on that image).
- The real solution isn't to go down the OOo path but to use native APIs to work with a scanner.

Yes, I can do it, but there are other more pressing issues that both Patrick and I need to address at this point in time. In the meantime, we'll totally try to see if we can fix the Aqua glitches with the UI buttons, but adding proper scanner support using Image Capture and other OS X APIs is way off our radar.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2