Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't Get Aqua Beta to Start Up
Can't Get Aqua Beta to Start Up

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwardk
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Can't Get Aqua Beta to Start Up

I successfully (I thought!) installed Aqua Beta and the latest patch yesterday on my powerbook G4 (running 10.4.7), but then found that I couldn't get the application to start at all -- the icon would flash briefly, and that was it. (I did not even reach the splash screen.) I tried all the usual tricks -- repaired preferences, emptied caches, reinstalled the 10.4.7 combo update, reinstalled Java, reinstalled the latest security update, tried changing the Java preferences to look for 1.4.2 first -- but none of them worked.

Finally in desperation I trashed Aqua Beta and installed 2.0 Alpha 4. I got that to work, so I then went and reinstalled Aqua Beta over it. Once again, nothing. Very frustrating.

Here's what my console log reports:

Aug 16 22:44:14 edwardks-Desktop-Computer-2 crashdump[1869]: soffice.bin crashed
Aug 16 22:44:14 edwardks-Desktop-Computer-2 crashdump[1869]: crash report written to: /Users/edwardk/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log
dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
Expected in: /lib/libJPEG.dylib

The only trouble is, I have no idea what that means, or what to do with it. Everything else on the computer seems to be working just fine, including Java, which I use daily as part of my secure login to my office network.

Can someone offer some useful advice? I would really prefer not to reinstall 10.4.0 and start over from there!

Many thanks.

EdwardK
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Get Aqua Beta to Start Up

edwardk wrote:

dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO

I would really prefer not to reinstall 10.4.0 and start over from there!

Did you by any chance ever install Fink? I googled that symbol not found error, which had a number of Fink-related references, including this one:

Quote:
i had the same problem. i was setting the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .cshrc (or another file that i sourced in my .cshrc). i removed (commented out) the 'setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH ...', and everything works fine now.

There were more interesting pages to look at, but do you have a DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH line in either ~/.cshrc or more likely ~/.bashrc? If so, try commenting it out and see if that does anything.

Another link suggests removing the following symlinks:

Code:

/sw/lib/libpng.dylib
/sw/lib/libtiff.dylib
/sw/lib/libgif.dylib
/sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib

Hope something here helped.

W
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Get Aqua Beta to Start Up

edwardk wrote:

This line is the interesting part. /lib/libJPEG.dylib does not exist in a standard Mac OS X installation. In fact, there is no /lib folder in a standard Mac OS X installation.

Most likely, your custom /lib/libJPEG.dylib is getting loaded instead of the Mac OS X system libJPEG.dylib. I don't know what software you have installed that file, but try moving the /lib folder and see if Neo works OK.

Patrick
edwardk
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Thank You Patrick!

I screwed up my courage, removed the /lib folder, and . . . . Neo Office aqua beta works! And what's more, nothing else seems to have been broken as a consequence.

Following up on the earlier suggestion (which I confess to have found a little over my head), I did install Fink a long time ago. I imagine that I have all sorts of Fink detritus scattered in odd places now? In any event, this is indeed a happy ending.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank You Patrick!

edwardk wrote:
Following up on the earlier suggestion (which I confess to have found a little over my head), I did install Fink a long time ago. I imagine that I have all sorts of Fink detritus scattered in odd places now? In any event, this is indeed a happy ending.

I will be putting /usr/lib in front of /lib and /usr/local/lib in the library search path in the next patch since this seems to be a problem for a few people so far.

Patrick
stu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: similar problem

I have a similar situation - went through the same routine with the download and install, but NeoOffice just winked and wouldn't open. However, crash log is a little different:

Aug 17 17:59:03 SEsG4iBook crashdump[2351]: crash report written to: /Users/stu/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log
dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib
Reason: Incompatible library version: ImageIO requires version 1.0.0 or later, but libTIFF.dylib provides version 0.0.0

I'm running OSX 10.4.7 on a 1.42 GHz iBook with 512 Mb memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stu
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: similar problem

stu wrote:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
Reason: Incompatible library version: ImageIO requires version 1.0.0 or later, but libTIFF.dylib provides version 0.0.0

This is the key error. Do you have a "libTIFF.dylib" file in your /lib or /usr/local/lib folder?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Also, try installing the following test patch and see if NeoOffice works OK. This test patch fixes the library loading path problem that I believe this problem is caused by:

PowerPC:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thank You Patrick!

edwardk wrote:
I screwed up my courage, removed the /lib folder, and . . . . Neo Office aqua beta works! And what's more, nothing else seems to have been broken as a consequence.

You might have played it safer by either renaming /lib to like /lib-old or moving it somewhere else (essentially the same thing)... but cool.

Quote:

It was my understanding that fink installed everything in /sw/* but I haven't used it since its early days (I'm out of hd space on my 667 pb) so I don't know where it puts things...

W
stu
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: still no joy

Yes, there is a /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib (note - all lower case, unlike the libTIFF.dylib in the crash log).

Unfortunately, the patch didn't make any difference - Neo still doesn't open.

Reading the dialog with Barnabas (8/16) seems he had a very similar problem and the resolution was to reload 10.4 and then re-update it to 10.4.7 -- not sure I'm up for that -- everything else (and I use a lot of different apps using both OSX and the BSD side of the house) -- all run just fine. I do have some fink stuff installed, but they are pretty carefull to play in their own sand-box (/sw).

thx
stu
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: still no joy

stu wrote:
Yes, there is a /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib (note - all lower case, unlike the libTIFF.dylib in the crash log).

Unfortunately, the patch didn't make any difference - Neo still doesn't open.

What is in the crash log? Has the messages in that log changed at all?

And one more thing, can you open the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, execute the following, and post the output?:

Code:
otool -L /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO

Patrick
stu
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

Crash log remains the same

Here's the terminal output:

sesg4ibook:~ stu$ otool -L /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 368.27.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJPEG.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libJP2.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libGIF.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRaw.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libTIFF.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRadiance.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 18.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Accelerate (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 4.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics (compatibility version 64.0.0, current version 258.33.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 4.4.4)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.1.6)
sesg4ibook:~ stu$

Hope that helps

stu
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Try installing the following test patch and see if NeoOffice works OK. Hopefully this test patch fixes this problem:

PowerPC:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_2-Patch-1-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix in the previous test patch is now in NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2 Patch 2. This patch can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/earlyaccesspatch.php

Patrick
stu
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Joy

That got it -- thanks so much for your prompt responses!

stu
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1