Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - X11 for 10.2.8? Where?
X11 for 10.2.8? Where?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratteler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: X11 for 10.2.8? Where?

I followed the links for X11 from the OpenOffice Download Page and the version X11 I can get claims it's for Panther ONLY!

I'm not paying $130 to upgrade to Panther, and even if I did, It might not work on my 400Mhz G3 Beige.

I can't belive there is no place to download this for 10.2.8.

I've also read some forum messages that suggest there is another way to instal Open Office on a Mac that doesn't require X11.

Is there a FAQ that will tell me a simple way to get OO runing under Jaguar?

To make matters worse, I'm a Windows guy who just referbed a Mac. SO I'm really lost with all this "Install 2 from Column A and 3 from Column B". I'm trying to instal Open Office, not order Chineese food. Very Happy

Is there one install file that will set up everything?
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Ratteler wrote

Quote:
Is there one install file that will set up everything?

In a word, yes Smile , but it's a bit large (170MB)

In a URL

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

Read the instructions there, and find your nearest mirror from those listed.

(if you already have an installer for OOo, it is this same file - everything is included)

Double-click the downloaded .dmg (disk image) file, and it will appear as a new disk, as though you had inserted a CD. Read the README, run the installer, follow the enclosed instructions and it should set up Xwindows, OOo and everything else you need.

BUT

I would recommend that you look through the FAQ on this site, and topics in this forum, to get a feel for the kinds of problems you may encounter. You may also find OOo a little slow, especially the initial launch, which may take a few minutes! The minimum recommended system is a G4/400. I've run it on a beige G3, but with a 500 MHz upgrade and a Rage 128 graphics card. On the stock Rage 64, scrolling may take a while, as you have to run the screen at 'millions of colours' to avoid a font display bug in Xwindows. For best speed don't choose the 'OroborOSX' option for your Xwindows system. It is pretty, but plain XDarwin puts a bit less load on the system.

Cheers

Luke
Gilroy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Massive difficulties trying install on Mac OSX Jaguar 10.2.4

Hi: I am also having massive difficulties trying to figure out how to install this program on Mac OSX Jaguar 10.2.4.

How did it go for you when you downloaded the huge 177meg file aforementioned?
thanx
gilbert
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject:

The installer pretty much works as advertised, though you do need to read the instructions on the OOo website and the Readme. In general, the less you have customised your OSX installation, the less likely you are to have trouble. For example, your home directory should be in the Users directory of your system disk, or the installer will get confused.

When running the installer, you need to be logged in as the main user of your machine (the account you set up when you first installed OSX), or some other account that has administrator privileges.

You also need to have installed the BSD (unix) tools when you installed OSX. They are installed by default, but if you chose to leave them out, the OOo installer will not work.

If you provide some more details of what is going wrong I (or a real expert, if you're lucky) Smile will try to help

Luke
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject:

X11 was only one of the flavors of Xserver availible to MacOSX. I have used XDarwin before (specifically with OpenOffice) and it works (it is just not as pretty as X11)

http://www.xdarwin.org/

there is also XonX which i have never tried.

http://mrcla.com/XonX/

That all being said, set up is easy, just download the installer and double click.

Once everything is set up, run "Start OpenOffice.org". after some setup parameters, it will start everything up for you each time.

If you need help, just post back and we'll see what we can do.

THAT being said, there is also NeoOffice/J which uses Java instead of X11, so no other programs are needed...
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject:

Oh, I forgot, the OO.o installer will put XFree86 on there if it detects that there isn't one installed.

Also, there is a DMG file for XDarwin in the download section of this forum.

-j
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Or try NeoOffice/J for Jaguar. Current version is as fast as OO for X11 but does NOT require X11 and uses native printing and fonts facilities of OS X.

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm not paying $130 to upgrade to Panther, and even if I did, It might not work on my 400Mhz G3 Beige.

On this note, I'd read this article:

http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=705&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

It is about putting Panther on a Bondi Blue iMac (yes the 233 model), I think you'll be surprised. Panther is very well put together.

-jacob
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject:

I'm running Panther and NeoOffice/J on my 400 MHz iMac DV with 768 MB RAM. I have up to 4 users in my family logged in at once using the fast-user switching capability. Although I don't get the cool "rotating cube" feature, the system is plenty fast with the exception of iPhoto.

Of course, it's widely known that iPhoto is a pig, which is one of the reasons Jobs made such a big deal of the performance improvement in the latest release.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1