Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?
How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knutter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

OpenOffice.org is LGPL, NeoOffice is GPL.
Including NeoOffice code in OpenOffice.org is so not possible. It is only possible, when OpenOffice.org will be also only GPL.

But will be some patches of the core Office (the non-Mac-specific part) going back as LGPL to OpenOffice.org?

Existing some cooperations with OOo?
Or do you only take the LGPLd OOo, integrate it better in MacOS X and publishing it under GPL, so that no cooperation exists?

Knut
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Answers to your questions are on the NeoOffice FAQ page:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/faq.php#10

Patrick
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

Knutter wrote:

Or do you only take the LGPLd OOo, integrate it better in MacOS X and publishing it under GPL, so that no cooperation exists?

Who would there be cooperation WITH?

Sun? Not quite. Sun engineering is very resistant to working with comminities and ignores code submissions.

The largest group of OOo developers outside of Sun are the 10 or so in Novell and they run their own CVS and don't check in code to the OOo CVS anymore. They got tired of Sun ignoring their contributions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

MacRat wrote:
...and they run their own CVS and don't check in code to the OOo CVS anymore. They got tired of Sun ignoring their contributions.

This is lie.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

Anonymous wrote:
MacRat wrote:
...and they run their own CVS and don't check in code to the OOo CVS anymore. They got tired of Sun ignoring their contributions.

This is lie.
MacRat,
Are you one of the Novell developers and can confirm this, or is this something that you read, heard? It's not a good policy to state such things unless you are one of parties involved in the issue, OR can provide links to a publish resource. Confused

I could understand such frustration but without proof this is just a ... S.W.A.G.? Shocked

There are enough wild statements about OOo and NeoOffice that we don't need to add to the ... noise level.
History of NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org
and
FAQ Openoffice.org and NeoOffice

Philip ( "Let's be careful out there!" Wink )

<edit: fixed links>

Last edited by LemonAid on Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

Anonymous wrote:
MacRat wrote:

This is lie.

Pavel,

I believe MacRat is referring to the existance of the ooo-build group's CVS respository. The ooo-build (which has, at lest in the past, included some Novell engineers) has existed for several years IIRC:

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsview2.cgi?subdir=ooo-build&files=ChangeLog&command=DIRECTORY&branch=&root=/cvs/gnome

Also, the unresolved differences between the ooo-build group and Sun are documented in OOo's own Wiki:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Ooo-build

Patrick
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

pluby wrote:
Also, the unresolved differences between the ooo-build group and Sun are documented in OOo's own Wiki:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Ooo-build

That must be a lie also because Guest doesn't want to believe it.

Laughing
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Wow, what a fun page.

I want to check out that OpenSymbol font...sounds like it might solve a lot of the evil MS-bullet and MS-symbols issues we see.

I think our frustration with the OOo "process" is broadly similar to that of the distros.

I won't say anything more, though.

Smokey

Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Wow, what a fun page.

Sometimes it is fun to feed the troll. Twisted Evil
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Tanks for the links Patrick. Rolling Eyes

Philip ( speechless - but it was fun tracking IP addresses Wink )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

Anonymous wrote:
MacRat wrote:
...and don't check in code to the OOo CVS anymore. They got tired of Sun ignoring their contributions.

This is lie.

This quote is not completely true, sorry for previous article. This forum system is completely stupid compared with e-mail. (But this is only my opinion, other users can probably have different opinion.)

The problem with ooo-build is that their goals are different, they want to test stuff that they are not completely satisfied with and even they do not WANT to submit it for inclusion. But they are friendly-fork. OOo people help them, they help OOo folk. And in fact they have several mechanisms to track their changes and their rule is to stick OOo IZ number just before every issue planned for inclusion into OOo tree. They also take care about *many* child workspaces.

So this is just to compare the original statement with reality.

I'd be happy if such cooperation exists with NeoOffice folks as well.

I understand that the processes of OOo are a bit "heavy" and it is much easier when you have to coordinate only two developers. But this is all about communication.

E.g. Pavel is now going to fix the bug that is fixed for a long period in NeoOffice although not correctly. He will surely not communicate about the fix to NeoOffice developers because he is not aware of the fact it is already fixed there, because the bugreport was filed yesterday in OOo IssueZilla. It would be *way* easier for both projects to share the common stuff...

It maybe looks sexy for users that Neo has more stuff, but you guys have only two developer because you do not share, your project is not sexy for developers. Let's solve this problem so both sides benefit, I'm all for win-win agreement.

BTW - and as you seem to like laweyrs, I'll send you mine because you revealed my real identity and in fact also the non-ability/non-willingness to register Wink

Which reminds me I'm sclerotic (my email client auto adds signature Wink

Pavel - "le technical tiran"
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

Anonymous wrote:
BTW - and as you seem to like laweyrs, I'll send you mine because you revealed my real identity and in fact also the non-ability/non-willingness to register Wink

Unfortunately IP addresses are public information and are freely recordable and traceable via traceroute. There's nothing anonymous about an IP address. If you're truly paranoid about being untraceable online, then I'd recommend looking into freenet or one of the many publicly available proxy browsing systems before posting flamebait.

In the meantime, please be courteous and stop trolling in our forums. We don't troll in your community, so why don't you extend us the same courtesy in ours. To be honest, I had expected a bit more professionalism out of you than this.

As this whole topic is no longer relevant to Neo development and has digressed into a troll and subsequent feeding of it, this topic has been moved into ranting.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:

Looks like you do not understand the Wink sign at the end of sentence, OK. understood.

Pavel - "le technical tiran"
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

OPENSTEP wrote:
In the meantime, please be courteous and stop trolling in our forums. We don't troll in your community, so why don't you extend us the same courtesy in ours. To be honest, I had expected a bit more professionalism out of you than this.

I must have missed something, but Pavel didn't seem to write in bad faith..

Please relax Smile. It would have been more civil if Pavel had used a registered identity and been a bit more eleborate and precise in his statement but he wasn't yelling. Actually, neither were you Smile.

Making progress here.... Now if only we could stop calling each other liars and trolls.

Best wishes,
Oscar

P.S. Oh right, I forgot, I resigned as community mediator after the last explosion of tempers. Consider this my last mail on the subject..
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

ovvldc wrote:

I must have missed something, but Pavel didn't seem to write in bad faith...

Well, it's bad form to respond to a post about a common fact by calling it a lie.

You should have seen the response I wrote and chose NOT to post. Wink

I get a little cranky when the FUD comes out trying to paint Patrick as someone who only TAKES code and never gives back any fixes. Considering that I've been watching Patrick give back code for over 4 years....

On a side note... Anyone who attended the Sun BOF at OSCON in July this summer would have listened to an IBM employee complaining about THIER code contributions being ignored by OOo for the past year.

Before harrassing anyone about cooperation, you should first make sure that the gatekeepers for code contributions are actually ACCEPTING code. It's not a small or isolated issue.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2