Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?
How close is the cooperation with OpenOffice.org?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

How about we let this thread die and let's accept the fact that each of us has very different but strong opinions on how to manage our own code.

For the record, neither Ed nor I have any issue with OOo producing their own native port. IMO, more than one choice is good in that there will always be feature competition between products. Such competition is more work for developers, but the users benefit directly.

Also, if OOo wants to use our code, there is nothing that currently restricts them from building NeoOffice with the OpenOffice.org name on it and adding their own additions. They don't need our permission or support to do this. Of course the resulting build would be GPL and they would have to GPL any changes that they make, but I know of no restrictions that Sun has imposed on the OpenOffice.org trademark that prevents this.

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org wiki

This is on the OpenOffice.org wiki right now
February 10, 2005: At the OOoRegiCon, Simon Phipps called upon the OpenOffice.org community [blogs.sun.com] to recognize NeoOffice [neooffice.org] as a part of a wider OpenOffice.org community of collaborators all working to achieve a common goal. Hopefully his message will be heard, hopefully no one will need to "discover" NeoOffice any longer, and hopefully the drastic need for OpenOffice.org X11 will no longer be ignored. Without Mac OS X (X11), there no foundation upon which to even dream non-X11 versions on Mac OS X.
Sad, really.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Another Neo story, very positive, in the Australian Courier Mail.

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:

W

Yay for Oz, except:
The Courier-Mail wrote:
NeoOffice 2 Aqua Beta 3 is a ThinkFree Office , along with Google Spreadsheets and Writely; the latter two of which require the Firefox browser.

Um, what?

Is there a missing phrase, like "competitor to" or "open source office suite like" or something? We certainly have no connection to ThinkFree (which is not free at all, in either sense Wink) or to Google's ODF webapps.

P.S. Wrong thread, Waldo Razz Wink

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

P.S. Wrong thread, Waldo Razz Wink

I know, but honestly, I was lazy and didn't feel like scouring the forum for the right one Smile

W
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: On the bright side...

aussie149 wrote:
This is on the OpenOffice.org wiki right now
February 10, 2005: At the OOoRegiCon, Simon Phipps called upon the OpenOffice.org community [blogs.sun.com] to recognize NeoOffice [neooffice.org] as a part of a wider OpenOffice.org community of collaborators all working to achieve a common goal.

I was doing a google on NeoOffice 2.0 (try it: you'll be delighted to see how many pages of (very) positive links there are) and I found this on Simon Phipp's SunMink blog [it's a bit old, goes back to Easter this year]

"NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha Available

If you're a Mac user, you'll be delighted to know that Patrick has got an early alpha of NeoOffice 2.0 ready, complete with all the features that are in other OpenOffice.org distributions including full OpenDocument support. He's experimenting with raising funds by selling access to the alpha program - well worth supporting in my view - although everything remains GPL licensed and the source remains available
"

P
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

While he doesn't speak for Sun or the OOo project proper, Simon has personally given us his voice as an interesting project of which he believes Mac users should be aware. I appreciate both his support as well as his philosophical views on open source. Really, both projects are part of a river bringing forth a wave of change.

Some folks there and here, and even myself, need to open up their eyes. Regardless of trivialities and the strong feelings of our approach on both sides, we have cooperation in the sense that we have a common goal: all of us desire to make an open source office suite for the Mac that is freely available for all.

And yet many get dragged down into the true aspects of human nature, focusing on personal fame, petty individualism, and testosterone induced combatitiveness that are utterly contrary to our ultimate goal.

Granted, I've tried hard to shed that for myself and it takes a long self-introspection to realize the pettiness of "open source battles" which permeate the entire free software movement, not just OOo/Neo. I haven't fully succeeded in discarding them as of yet, but at least I'm trying.

The one belief that I will not give up however is that GPL is the "one true way" that anthropomorphizes personal hopes and ideals for the art that I create, a mixture of freedom, cooperation, and yes, even with room for profit. Others may disagree with my licensing belief and that's their right. In the long term, many users do not care about licenses until they are directly affected by them or have a need to exercise their rights.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:

The title alone is enough to make me laugh myself into a frenzy not to mention an awesome publicity screenshot from one of those movies Smile

(yes, I'm catching up...I was somewhere else for a while Wink )

While I never thought of the Matrix theme originally (I was just trying to come up with cool sounding names and that's the one that stuck...trust me the overall list sounded really really really bad...can't find it now in my sent mail, tho Sad ) I'm pleasantly surprised that folk have picked up and run with an unintended theme!

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2