Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Drop caps?
Drop caps?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Drop caps?

I received this query from onewingman:
Quote:
I've migrated document editing from my old MS office (word 6) into Neo office.

Ok. so far, apart from the loss of drop cap functionality.

I can insert a frame, but it doesn't have the precision to resize the frame acceptably.

Is it likely to be developed in Neo Office ?

Is a macro button an option ?

Thanks

There is good drop cap functionality in NeoOffice v2; Format-Paragraph-Drop Caps will get you there. I don't have version 1.2.2 on my mac any more, so I don't know if it existed in that version. NeoOffice v2 beta will be available in August, or you can get the alpha release right now (the beta version will be prettier Smile but the alpha version is very stable).

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

Yes, there should be in 1.x. See this previous support thread on Drop Caps (in which I was referring to 1.2, I'm pretty sure).

ed
onewingman
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Drop caps in Neo Office text documents

Hello folks,

The only bug, (if you can call it a bug) is, "Drop Caps" is not a key word in the help menu. Thats what foxed me.

Microsoft Word5 used a frame to draw a drop cap but Neo 1. uses a field as I see it.

Importing some of my documents (300 pages plus!) revealed some of the frames out of alignment, but I suspect thats merely due to the loss of data due to file conversion. Trying to replicate such frames with a large character in Neo 1. I found never the same, and not as accurately positioned however hard you try. But there again there is no need thanks to all your help, the format paragraph menu and drop cap tab is ideal.

How about an update in the key word (DROP CAPS) search list in the help menu ? Idea Idea

Regards to all concerned.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Drop caps in Neo Office text documents

onewingman wrote:
Hello folks,

The only bug, (if you can call it a bug) is, "Drop Caps" is not a key word in the help menu. Thats what foxed me.

[...]

How about an update in the key word (DROP CAPS) search list in the help menu ? Idea Idea

We don't actually modify the help content (except for a few "simple" XSLT transformations to fix insert "NeoOffice" and change "Ctrl" to "Cmd" and "Alt" to "Opt". Changing actual content needs to be done by the OpenOffice.org help maintainers, so the bug needs to be filed in the OpenOffice.org IssueZilla.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm confused ...

I just tested help in NeoOffice (v 2.0 Aqua Beta 3, Patch 0 ) and found "drop caps" just fine.
I had previously found it in NeoOffice 1.1.2 help when I needed to do Drop Caps.

Quote:
Drop Caps
Formats the first letter of a paragraph with a large capital letter, that can span several lines. You can also format the first word of the paragraph with large type.
Quote:
To access this command...
Choose Format - Paragraph - Drop Caps tab
Choose Format - Styles and Formatting - open context menu Modify/New - Drop Caps tab

Philip ( Hmmmm )
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Drop caps in Neo Office text documents

sardisson wrote:

We don't actually modify the help content (except for a few "simple" XSLT transformations to fix insert "NeoOffice" and change "Ctrl" to "Cmd" and "Alt" to "Opt".
Smokey

which does lead to amusing enteries like
Quote:
To change the association of Microsoft Office file name extensions to open the files either in NeoOffice or in Microsoft Office, using Microsoft Windows:
Laughing
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:

Haha...so *that's* why people think there's a windows port! Laughing

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop caps in Neo Office text documents

Baggypants wrote:
sardisson wrote:

We don't actually modify the help content (except for a few "simple" XSLT transformations to fix insert "NeoOffice" and change "Ctrl" to "Cmd" and "Alt" to "Opt".
Smokey

which does lead to amusing enteries like
Quote:
To change the association of Microsoft Office file name extensions to open the files either in NeoOffice or in Microsoft Office, using Microsoft Windows:
Laughing

LOL!

/me adds that to the list of "help things to change" if we ever do start mucking around with help.

Edit: heh, it's already on the list Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop caps in Neo Office text documents

onewingman wrote:
Hello folks,

<snip>

Regards to all concerned.
onewingman,
Did you get an answer that you can use? I was able to find "drop caps" in the NeoOffice Help file.
Maybe you used different words to find it. That often happens - different applications use different names for the same functions.

If you have time, Please let us know if this resolved your question.

Philip ( Yes, I AM going around cleaning up minor things. It's what I do (ahem - Well??) Wink )

\almost 400 users in 24 hours!! Shocked Exclamation Cool
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1