· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Vapourware port ships vapourware release
Vapourware port ships vapourware release

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Vapourware port ships vapourware release

THIS IS LIE!

Razz

According to the Mac news world, "Microsoft Office alternative, OpenOffice, will ship in a native version for OS X next month."

Seen on MacFixIt and Macworld UK

Talk about some shoddy reporting or some baldface lying....

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:

i told you, it will be included on the duke nukem forever disks.

sheesh.

Wink
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:

bwaaaaahahahahahahaahhahaha Twisted Evil

And Windows Vista will ship by the end of the month!
No - it's true 'cause I saw screenshots of it ... running? Shocked

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=15712&Page=1&pagePos=2
Quote:
A huge collection of screenshots of the application running natively on a Mac are available on an OpenOffice developer website.
Razz

Didn't MacWorld UK include a copy of NeoOffice 1.x on their CD last year (or so)?
Strange that they have such a poorly researched article?

Philip (this is the funniest thing I've read all ... day, ALL week! Wink )

\ better "joke" than NeoOffice 2.0 for Windows
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Let's not be so judgemental. After all, I for one do not know what Eric, Pavel and friends have up their sleeve.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'll give them a chance. Only, I suspect the demo that is to be shown is now taken up as a fully working release.

- Oz
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I suspect the demo that is to be shown is now taken up as a fully working release.

Correct. That's ericb's blog entry:
http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/2006/08/openofficeorg-at-apple-expo-paris.html

Somebody didn't read close enough (and I suspect, the enthusiastic tone & the constant posting of new screenshots helped to get the impression, that something big is imminent).

Martin
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

The current (new) timeline:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/timeline.html
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Month? Year?

doctype wrote:
The current (new) timeline:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/timeline.html

Maybe they got the year wrong: should have been Sept 2007? Smile

Actually, it is interesting to note that the mac@porting porters use the Crystal icons in their screenshots, rather than the standard OpenOffice.org icons: someone must have selected that option deliberately.
P
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Colours

It's also interesting to note on eric's blog that his team has adopted a light grey shading for the menu bars. From those pics, it appears that there could still a fair bit of Ed's work for the mac@porting team to learn from. Will watch developments with interest.

P
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Let's not be so judgemental. After all, I for one do not know what Eric, Pavel and friends have up their sleeve.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'll give them a chance. Only, I suspect the demo that is to be shown is now taken up as a fully working release.

- Oz
Embarassed Sorry for the ... <rant>
It was not directed (directly) at the OOo Mac porting team, but at the MacWorld UK "publishing" an article stating such an ... amazing statement. AND I think the article mixes OOoCon (Lyon, 11-13 September) and Apple Expo (Paris, 12-16 September).
I have been watching "Eric, Pavel and friends" and there is a HUGE amount of effort going on, and even more to do.

Where were the Alpha tests, Beta tests, Release Canidates, The "official" announcment from OOo, "something" more than pretty screen shoots. If that is all it takes, Ed had pretty Screen Shoots many months ago. BUT he did not make wild statements that someting was going to be completely done in a matter of weeks.

I have seen how much goes on behind the scenes by the developers, AND community, to do just one major release with NeoOffice in the last year. It takes time, even more so to resolve the hundreds of tiny details and undiscovered flaws.

I'm constantly ... AMAZED/Shocked/embarrassed/... at the baseless statements so many people make on the various Web Sites. I would be so embarrassed to say, much less write down, most of the statements make as if they were ... FACT!

Philip ( WWTT - What Were They Thinking! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I don't think TeamOOo was being malicious (other than perhaps the timing of the announcement Wink), just terribly shoddy reporting and no one from that side jumping to say, "woah, wait a sec, this is a pre-alpha, not a release"....

This is, after all, Ranting Wink

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
other than perhaps the timing of the announcement Wink

Yes, me thinking the same ...

Quote:
... and no one from that side jumping to say, "woah, wait a sec, this is a pre-alpha, not a release"

If I were responsible, I would act quick. /.- and Digg-catastrophes are looming! Rolling Eyes

... already there:
http://www.digg.com/apple/OpenOffice_to_be_true_Mac_application

Martin
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

While we're in ranting...did anyone notice who the first person to comment on the MacGeneration article was? (The post was polite; it just seemed a little "odd") Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
While we're in ranting...did anyone notice who the first person to comment on the MacGeneration article was? (The post was polite; it just seemed a little "odd") Wink

Smokey
Grin,
That was the most ... "polite" public response I have seen in a long time. I've noticed that the French news sites are strongly ... defended? I guess I can't fault guarding your native country. Polite too!

<rant ranting> I really like the part about (roughly translated) "Screenshots were well published, but curiously, nobody speaks about it, you are right." Sorry - I could not help but ... smile Smile

Philip ( Actions speak louder that ... words. (except for /. ) Rolling Eyes )

\ is it a bad thing to build up (potential OOo) user expectations, and then not deliver? Twisted Evil
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

I just sent an email to The Register criticising their lacklustre reporting in this news item and suggesting they check out NeoOffice if they want to do some research next time before they post a news item about OOo for Mac.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
I've noticed that the French news sites are strongly ... defended? I guess I can't fault guarding your native country. Polite too!

Yeah, too much for me Mad
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2