· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo Aqua
OOo Aqua

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaLer
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: OOo Aqua

One short question: what will happen to Neo, when one nice (and now still quite far away) day there will be OOo Aqua?
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo Aqua

MaLer wrote:
One short question: what will happen to Neo, when one nice (and now still quite far away) day there will be OOo Aqua?

If that day comes, we'll have to see if Ed and Patrick will still work on Neo.

I expect it will be more than a couple of years before OOo Aqua is on par with Neo in the first place. Even then we'll have to see which one is really more Mac friendly. They certainly won't be interchangable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

JAVA... If the programs produce the same results but there is no JAVA to slow it down , the choice is a no brainer, OO_o, but of course...
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
JAVA... If the programs produce the same results but there is no JAVA to slow it down , the choice is a no brainer, OO_o, but of course...

It's not polite to spread FUD whilst signed in as a guest. Evil or Very Mad
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Furthermore, using the word "if" sort of precludes a reality-based discussion.

- Oscar
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Guest wrote:

It's not polite to spread FUD whilst signed in as a guest. Evil or Very Mad

I had to look up FUD: I never know what these terms mean. Wink To our "guest", I would say, wait and see: given that both ports will progress over that time frame, it must be hard to predict what will happen. Apart from the chestnut of Java hardly being involved in NeoOffice, can we assume that eric and his colleagues will actually get their port running? If they do, great, I will certainly try it out. However, having run NeoOffice 1 and 2, OpenOffice.org under X11 up to version 2, and StarOffice and OpenOffice.org in Windows Virtual PC, I would have to say it's not a no-brainer at all. There are so many what-ifs with different versions, you need to be wary of such generalisations.

Peter [not a guest, and not fearful, but certainly uncertain and, as to whether I am disinformed, in this world of "spin" and deception, who knows?]
Apricot
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: prompted by this announcement?

http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/

where a French OOo developer claims he will show a non-X11 version with native menus at Apple Expo France.

The screenshots look nice, though not nicer than Neo. Unless it's actually faster or supports more OS X goodness (services? Leopard? universal?), I wouldn't bother to switch. And at this point it's nice looking vaporware, while Neo is getting the job done for me today! Smile

By the way, as an old-time beta tester, I want to say it's been spectacular watching this program grow. Now in its Aqua universal state, it is actually a bit speedier than Rosetta MS Office on my Intel Mac. Great work, folks!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject:

"The proof is in the ... pudding." Shocked

or better still http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pro1.htm
Quote:
The full proverb is indeed the proof of the pudding is in the eating and proof has the sense of “test” (as it also has, or used to have, in phrases such as proving-ground and printer’s proof).
The proverb literally says that you won’t know whether food has been cooked properly until you try it. Or, putting it figuratively, don’t assume that something is in order or believe what you are told, but judge the matter by testing it; it’s much the same philosophy as in seeing is believing and actions speak louder than words.

Whatever we think, or say, the results will be seen in the future. All we can do is wait and watch.
I don't think our opinions will make ... ANY difference. Rolling Eyes

Relax, have a drink, tell your family you love them.

Philip ( Have you hugged someone today? Wink )

\ Ok, I've made my bet on the results.
\\ now it's time to watch what happens.
iking
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject:

Anyone with experience running OOo on Windows or Unix will figure out pretty quickly that it's OOo proper that's the source of the slowness -- you still get glaringly obvious toobar and window redrawing, amongst other things. I think too many people's experience with Java is waiting for the JVM to load when they run across a Web applet and then assume that if there's even a hint of Java, it's slow.

Besides, those screenshots aren't even at the "perfect Greco-Roman pose" stage. (Wonder how long ericb's build runs before crashing?)

Ian
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: prompted by this announcement?

Apricot wrote:
By the way, as an old-time beta tester

/me waves at Apricot Smile

I don't think I've seen you since the 1.1.2rc stage Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

iking wrote:
Besides, those screenshots aren't even at the "perfect Greco-Roman pose" stage. (Wonder how long ericb's build runs before crashing?)

Ian

GREAT Quote! Laughing I think you win the "quote" of the day award!

Philip ( looks more like "Buddha in repose - pose" Shocked )
iking
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure I borrowed it from Jake's NeoOffice plays....

/ me wonders if there'll be any recordings of the thespain drinking madness in Lyon?
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
"The proof is in the ... pudding." Shocked

or better still http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pro1.htm

That's a great page to revisit, Philip. On the cusp of British and UK usages, we find colloquial usage fascinating here Down Under. Having been educated with Shakespeare, Dickens, Chaucer et al, I used to be scathing about 'Americanisms" creeping into our form of English. That was until I read Bill Bryson's excellent Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States and dicovered that many of those Americanisms were actually older English words, transported to the colonies, and later replaced in the mother country. Classic examples: "trash" is the older word, "rubbish" the newer; "fall" is Elizabethan, "autumn" much later.

Now, what was the topic? Wink
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:

aussie149, (time for one of us to got to bed)

I think your comment was just as important as ... many other items posted here - and a lot more informative.
Thank you for sharing. It really makes a difference in the tone and quality of the fora.
Community is even one of the topics going to be covered by Patrick and Ed at OOoCon - kewl(slang)

Since I have been "hanging around" Trinity fora, I have reason to be a lot more selective of the words I write. Who know what language the reader may speak. I use SeaMonkey's Language Translation feature to read many of the other blogs published in French, Italian(sp), even Australian(sp). Laughing
I often Have the OS X Dictionary, Thesaurus(sp), and Google lookups for words or phrases open at the same time (F.U.D., Proof of the pudding(G)....) when I do these posts. Then, I try to remember to Spell check.
I try to be careful of the words and phrases I write as they may not mean anything to someone in a different country.

See, I TOLD you all that NeoOffice makes you ... smarter.
Why doesn't it have that effect on all our visitors?!?

Philip ( As a Software Engineer and Systems Analyst, I need ALL the help I can get! Wink )

\ What Means: (sp)elling, (G)oogle, (S)lang, (P)hases/Sayings, (A)mericanisms?, and more??
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject:

p.s. Original Chaucer is a great place to find words to be used in Passwords. Why spell a word one way, when you can spell it in so many ways.

What's the saying? "It's a weak mind that can only spell words in one way" Cool

Philippe (no message - it's late!)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4