PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: the beta wave

report links here...

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/10695/
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:

here is another:

http://digg.com/apple/NeoOffice_Aqua_alpha3_is_available_for_Intel_and_PPC_Macs_for_FREE

favorate question:
is there a windows port of this?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

Yup, don't be surprised if the servers get a little slow. trinity's still fast for me though, but I'm on the same switch right now Wink

ed

/mmm...chinese food for breakfast...
DerekMW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:

I love watching my colo box/NeoOffice mirror push a full megabyte per second for hours on end! I like to think that for every dozen or so gigabytes that get pushed, someone else is inspired to throw out Microsoft Office.
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
http://digg.com/apple/NeoOffice_Aqua_alpha3_is_available_for_Intel_and_PPC_Macs_for_FREE

I loved these two:

Lounger540 wrote:
I've been using the Aqua Beta for a couple weeks now since I bothered to actually compile it. Have to say, it's very stable, fast and does every thing I ever used MS Office for in the last 10 years.

The lack of X11 requirement and native Aqua fonts and printer support put Oo.org to shame for their OS X port. Still the love since it is 95% their code, but damn is that last 5% ever sexy Smile

[EDIT: Of course, Lounger540 would have been better off expressing his admiration by *NOT* spreading his binary around, but that is another matter entirely. A legal one, at that]

ThankTheCheese wrote:
My Microsoft Word icon is slowly making its way across the Dock...edging closer and closer to the Trash...

<G>

-Oz
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

MacInTouch, of course Wink

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

MacBidouille, HardMac and MacGeneration Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
MacBidouille, HardMac and MacGeneration Smile

Smile

luitel wrote:
Et après cette version on ne pourra plus refuser d'essayer NeoOffice sous prétexte que "ça ne ressemble pas à une application pour Mac !" Smile

newbanall wrote:
En cours de telechargement, je vais enfin pouvoir abandonner Office Mac qui patine comme un fou !!!!!!

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Anyone want to jump into this mess?

W (not logged in)
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Insanely Great Mac (IGM) http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=6434

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22021
NeoOffice - 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 (OS X native port of OpenOffice.org without X11)

Philip ( Neo - Happy! Wink )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Anyone want to jump into this mess?

W (not logged in)

It looks like JKT and VV are already covering the bases.
For folks that Don't like OOo design, there is not much that can be done by the NeoOffice developers.
If a person does - not - like - the - User - Interface, Please use something ... else?!?

Philip ( did I note that it replaces MS Office, and it's Free? Wink )

<edit>
\ File individual "opinions" in the proper location.
\\ If you don't like it (and better still - don't understand the coding obstacles) DONT USE It Twisted Evil
iking
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

TUAW also had a post yesterday on the public beta release. Usual ranting about icons and the UI in the comments coming from folks who value eye candy over functionality, working well with stuff the MS Office users inflict on you, or preserving data. One commenter at the end gets it, though.

(One of my top reasons for using Neo (on Mac) and OOo (on Win or Linux) is that I'll almost certainly be able to get at my data in 20 years -- you can't say that of stuff locked up in a Pages or MSO blob.)

Ian
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

On the Pages front, it is XML from what I can gather. The trick is that the schema is not public. Apple made their schemas public for Keynote 1, but not for Pages and Keynote 2. They are available from ADC upon request, however, but I'm not sure how kindly you need to ask Smile

That knowledge was from the time Pages and Keynote 2 were first released, so it may be horridly out of date by now. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

ed
iking
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
On the Pages front, it is XML from what I can gather. The trick is that the schema is not public. Apple made their schemas public for Keynote 1, but not for Pages and Keynote 2. They are available from ADC upon request, however, but I'm not sure how kindly you need to ask Smile

Apple has published partial schemas for the iWork 2 apps' file formats on ADC (the iWork Programming Guide), but they say they'll never publish the full schemas. There's enough published to get at the overall document structure and to work with text and graphics, but styles and such are cryptic. No doubt it's a better situation than what someone with a schwack of AppleWorks files faces; it might even be fine for someone who in an all-Mac world, but it doesn't work for me. There's also the question of how much interest there is in making tools that will sorta support a format that's only used on Macs. Not a great bet IMO.

Tim Bray had a revealing post on the whole iWork XML mess around this time last year. As far as I know, nothing's changed on that front since then.

Ian
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject:

I like the HardMac description :

As noted by Patrick, NeoOffice 2.0 beta 3 is now available for download from NeoOffice.org.

Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2