Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Tried everything, Symbol, OpenSymbol still look like squares
Tried everything, Symbol, OpenSymbol still look like squares

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Tried everything, Symbol, OpenSymbol still look like squares

Hi,

I've tried everything. My install of OpenOffice under Panther 10.3.2 went great. The only problem i have is that the symbol font (used in some equations that i am importing) STILL only looks like squares. The font is listed in the font pull down but any text assigned the symbol font shows as a square character!

I've tried the newer opens_--.ttf file, i've tried changing my existing fonts, etc. NOTHING has changed this.

Can anyone suggest anything, or have they seen this?

Can people see text with the symbol font?

thanks

Russ
wchutt01
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject:

First, thank you very much for the -5 patch!!!

I have the exact problem with Symbol and OpenSymbol with OX 10.2.8. I installed the -5 patch. I added the fonts to my ~/username/Library/Fonts directory and removed the softlink as described elsewhere on this site.

I read the NeoOfficeJ help page about installing fonts.

That page says to use spadmin.bin. Yet, the only spadmin.bin I have came from the ooo103darwingm.dmg installation. I am reluctant to install fonts from spadmin because on one of my two OSX user accounts I can do work because the Symbol fonts work. If gets messed up then I'm in deep trouble.

BTW: To get the Symbol fonts to work on OOo 1.03 I had to remove every single font that gave the dreaded empty box. Only then did Symbol work. I would try this with NeoOfficeJ but as mentioned above, I can't mess with spadmin until I understand how spadmin works with NeoOfficeJ.
danieleprice1
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Same issue

I have the same issue with the blocks instead of text with 10.3.4 and OpenOffice 1.1.2.

I'm very new to the program, what was the -5 patch you were eluding to?
I tried the methods you recommended, but how did you get the dreaded empty font folder? I -rm'd everything, then dragged the new fonts I converted with fondu into the truetype folder. Deleted the cache file, restarted both x11 and openoffice and the problem still persists. What else am I doing wrong. Please help!

I tried importing a ppt presentation, worked great (the ppt was from a PC and OpenOffice did a better job importing the functions).
EXCEPT
On a few slides, the equations come up weird with the above mentioned squares. If I double quick on the equation, it looks good in the formula editor but still weird on the slide itself. So lost. Please help.

Thanks for your time.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject:

OK...if you rm'd everything then you probably blew away the OpenSymbol file. OOo needs a very specific symbol font, the open symbol font. Just using Symbol won't jive...Mac symbol font encoding isn't recognized.

I put it up on the http server (really small)

http://www.neooffice.org/opens___.ttf.gz

It's three underscores between the "s" and the extensions. It's about 35K and its MD5Sum is:

b8cf85f03bf5fb39c7710bf897ff0ebe

You'll need to put it into your share/fonts/truetype directory and then remove the pspfontcache again like when you added in your other fonts.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Note also that equations don't always import correctly either from Word and you may experience problems in general that aren't solved by making sure the opensymbol font is there Shocked Equations in OOo pretty much stink. One of these days I must integrate TeX...

ed
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject:

On a related note (and perhaps I should really post this in the NeoOffice/J support forum, but...) what font do I need to have installed to see bullets in imported .doc files in NO/J (v0.8.4)? At the moment all I'm seeing are blank boxes.

TIA

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Right now NeoJ 0.8.4 is based off of the OOo 1.0.3 code base and it's a known issue with OOo 1.0.3 that bullets in MS Word documents will usually import incorrectly. It's not a font issue AFAIK but rather a Word file filter issue. 1.1.x supposedly improves the importing of bullets.

ed
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Right now NeoJ 0.8.4 is based off of the OOo 1.0.3 code base and it's a known issue with OOo 1.0.3 that bullets in MS Word documents will usually import incorrectly. It's not a font issue AFAIK but rather a Word file filter issue. 1.1.x supposedly improves the importing of bullets.

ed

Thanks for the info, ed. Guess I'll have to wait for Patrick to shift to the 1.1.x codebase before this is corrected then. No worries for me personally, but it stops me from recommending NO/J to my dad for the time being...

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1