Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Am New - Downloading Now - Am Curious
Am New - Downloading Now - Am Curious

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thornomad
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Am New - Downloading Now - Am Curious

Hello all!

I have been using openoffice on my linux box and windows machine for a while now; I have it installed it via X11 on my Mac (primary machine) but, as I am sure you are aware, it is quite terrible to look at and use. I am committed to doing away with MS Office, however, X11 doesn't help. So, on my Mac I have continued to use MS Office because it works and I can do stuff.

Enter: NeoOffice!

My primary concern, of course, is its intergration with OpenOffice on my other machines (current, and future). If I take the time to become a pure OpenOffice/NeoOffice user, will I always be able to swap files between Linux and Mac ? Will the two paths ever diverge ? I like the idea of one set of software, but, having read the FAQs, I understand why it would make sense to branch off from OpenOffice.

Because it is built on the OpenOffice architecture, does that mean the files will always be compatible with one another ?

Thanks,
Damon
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:

The NeoOffice project seeks to create a Mac interface for OpenOffice. As such it doesn't do anything to alter the underlying functionality of OpenOffice (except occaisionally to enhance it to the point that it actually works like it should!).

Who knows what will happen in the future, but in the meantime there is no intention to do anything to NeoOffice that will cause it not to integrate well with OpenOffice on other platforms.

Andy.
thornomad
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

Well that's groovy. After the install (Which was a lot easier than the X11 install, I would like to point out) I see that things look very similiar ...

Am looking forward to using it in earnest and taking the MS Office icons off my Dock.

Thanks,
D
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice thornomad,

We are glad that you found us and the NeoOffice looks like it will meet your needs. Cool

As amayze said - NeoOffice is based on putting a Mac interface on OOo. The base code is the same, over 98% the same! And yes, that means bugs that OOo has will happen in NeoOffice. Any bugs you find should be reported here, and in the Neo Bugzilla. They are often logged into OOo Issuezilla if OOo base code is the source of the problem.
I think you will find that using NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua on your Mac will be a very good thing. Very Happy

You might want to check out the Neo Wiki for all the vast stores of information there.
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Main_Page

I use a Mac at Home (NO MS sofware, or Appleworks/iWorks), and MS Office and OOo at work and have VERY few problems. Sometimes there are "minor" refomatting issuses when printing. Easy to adjust and print! Cool

Philip ( MS Free on my Mac, and LOVING it!! Wink )
thornomad
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for that recommendation. Looking forward to working on it here in the next few days.

As for printing issues -- I can deal with that! Smile. I find the Mac to be, in general, somewhat confounding and, at times, frustrating in the whole printer department anyway. Wouldn't expect one piece of software to fix that.

Thanks again!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

thornomad wrote:
Thanks for that recommendation. Looking forward to working on it here in the next few days.

As for printing issues -- I can deal with that! Smile. I find the Mac to be, in general, somewhat confounding and, at times, frustrating in the whole printer department anyway. Wouldn't expect one piece of software to fix that.

Thanks again!
grin, agree.
But once printing works things usually go fine.

NeoOffice uses the Mac printing routines so if other Mac applications can print - So should NeoOffice. Smile
I had a much harder time with OOo for Mac using X11. That's is one of the main reasons moved to Neo - It uses Mac things to do Mac stuff (Fonts, Printers, Drag-and-drop, Aqua, and more! ) AND provides full access to OpenOffice.org Suite! Sweet! Cool
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Feature_Comparison

Philip ( Visited NeoOffice.org - stayed to help others access my favorite prgrams on the Mac! Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1