· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Adding notes (comments) to a whole selection of text
Adding notes (comments) to a whole selection of text

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkeybrain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Adding notes (comments) to a whole selection of text

I'm trying out NeoOffice as a replacement for Office X, which I use almost exclusively for proofreading. The equivalent to Track changes seems to work well, but I'm having trouble adding comments (notes).

First of all, is Notes the same as Comments in Word? I ask because there is the 'Comments' menu option in the Changes menu, but this only seems to be available if I have altered text. Therefore I tried using the 'Note' menu item in the Insert menu. My problem is that I want to apply a note to a whole or word or even several sentences. If I select the words I want and then add a note it marks the words as deleted. How can I do this so it follows the same format as Word? I.e. so all the words the note is applied to are highlighted in yellow.

Cheers folks.
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Notes = Comments, and sorry, but, no you cannot select/highlight text and insert a note (answer outlined below) I suggest a work around is to use "hightlighting" text feature (use other color than yellow so notes don't get lost) or underline text and add a note at the end of the word/sentence.

This behavior exists in OpenOffice.org:
Select/highlight a word or sentence; then Insert -> Note: deletes the selected/highlighted text/sentence; leaving only the "Note"

Edit -> Changes -> Comment: marked a word as crossed out and inserted note; however I could only get this to happen once; further attempts to repeat the behavior not possible as "Comment" was now grayed.

Changes feature is reserved for tracking word additions and deletions.

Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.
You can report the feature request in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers: http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

NeoOffice performed the same when a word or sentence was selected/highlighted and inserting a note; these elements were deleted. However; in Edit -> Changes; the Comment feature is grayed.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1