Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - support for WordPerfect plug-in?
support for WordPerfect plug-in?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: support for WordPerfect plug-in?

Is there any chance this project could eventually index WordPerfect for Windows files using neoffice's capability to read such files? this would be great since as it is there is no Spotlight plug-in for us switchers who used to use WP for Windows...

cheers
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: support for WordPerfect plug-in?

deef wrote:
Is there any chance this project could eventually index WordPerfect for Windows files using neoffice's capability to read such files? this would be great since as it is there is no Spotlight plug-in for us switchers who used to use WP for Windows...

That's funny. I have a file called WP_spotlight_1.0.2.dmg in my installable software folder. Got it from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/wordperfectspotlightplugin.html

I'm not sure it works flawlessly, but You might want to try this before making that statement of yours...

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: support for WordPerfect plug-in?

ovvldc wrote:
That's funny. I have a file called WP_spotlight_1.0.2.dmg in my installable software folder. Got it from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/wordperfectspotlightplugin.html

I'm not sure it works flawlessly, but You might want to try this before making that statement of yours...

Does it actually index the PC formats? My understanding from Gero and John R. was that the plugin supported Mac formats back to 2.x, but neother they nor the docs ever mentioned the WP-PC formats. I'm still on 10.3.9, so I can only tell you what I know from the WP-Mac list and the importer documentation.

At any rate, if it does not support the WP5 and WP6 formats (and since WP-Mac can read them), Gero is probably the correct person to approach about adding support for them to the WP Spotlight plugin. Ed's got his hands full with NeoLight and NeoOffice Wink

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

NeoLight only supports OpenDocumetn and StarOffice/OOo 1.x s** files. It works by decompressing the appropriate source files and then extracting appropriate keywords from the tree of container and data nodes formed by parsing the XML of appropriate files.

This doesn't apply for anything that doesn't conformed to the zipped XML archive file format of OOo/StarOffice/etc.

If anyone wants to extend the Spotlight plugn to support other file formats, feel free as long as you license all withall under LGPL. Still, it makes more sense to me as a developer to make a separate WordPerfect importer (licensed under whatever terms) that imports those files directly.

Spotlight only invokes importers on files that they claim to understand natively. There are presently no provisions for offering a translator module. If there are no spotlight indexers that can understand the file, it doesn't get indexed beyond the fundamental file info sets.

There are really a lot of horrid asumptions regarding importer versions and translations in spotlight, and it really is an API that wasn't fully thought out. All infrastructure APIs suffer from a similiar lack of foresight in their initial implementations, however, so it's not like it's something to flame against Very Happy

ed
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:

I can confirm that WP-spotlight only "read" files created with WP for MAC (to 3.5 version that runs into "classic").
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoLight Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1