NeoOffice :: View topic - Keyboard "freezes"
Keyboard "freezes"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

To expand on Smokey's suggestion: in Neo Office, under the NeoOffice menu, choose "Preferences" (or hit Command-,). Click on the "flippy triangle" next to NeoOffice in the left hand panel. Click on "Java." Wait for a minute for the Java options available to you to load. Click in the "radio button" next to the entry for version 1.4.2. You will be told you need to restart NeoOffice. Quit NeoOffice; the next time you restart Neo will use Java 1.4.2.

I just did the same thing myself; I haven't had a chance to see if it fixes the keyboard freeze issue yet. If you find it does, that would be a helpful note to add to the bug report (unless someone else has done so).

Ok so here is yet another issue to be discussed on trinity.

I just tried to see if it was possible to use neo in Java 1.4.2 but found that I did not have that option in my preferences. the only option I have is for Java version 1.5.0_06. I do however have the option to "Add" a version but don't know where to download and install the 1.4.2 version.

thoughts anyone?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Only PowerPC builds of NeoOffice can use Java 1.4.2. Intel builds are forced to use 1.5 to circumvent another bug.
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: keyboard "freezes"

Samwise wrote:
Only PowerPC builds of NeoOffice can use Java 1.4.2. Intel builds are forced to use 1.5 to circumvent another bug.

Got it.

I guess I'll have to just stick to the Bugzilla posts for fixes
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Oops! Sorry about that. I forget that there are differences in the intel world!
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: keyboard "freezes"

Just out of curiosity.... what is the impetus behind writing patches and how are they tested (if at all).

It seemed to me that patch 4 worked just fine and that there was no need to write another patch if there were no obvious bugs that were presenting widespread problems
barefootguru
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: keyboard "freezes"

assistant3 wrote:
Just out of curiosity.... what is the impetus behind writing patches and how are they tested (if at all).

It seemed to me that patch 4 worked just fine and that there was no need to write another patch if there were no obvious bugs that were presenting widespread problems

I'm not speaking for the NeoOffice guys here, but from my software experience:

1. I'm sure they are tested. Testing doesn't usually cover the hundreds of different configurations users have, so sometimes bugs slip through.

2. From the change history, patches 5 and 6 fixed bugs some users were experiencing.

Things to think about:

3. If patch 4 was working fine for you, why install 5? (Personally I did to keep current plus do my little bit to support NeoOffice by testing)

4. Welcome to running beta software.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: keyboard "freezes"

assistant3 wrote:

Changes included in patches are listed here:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Release_Notes

Jacqueline
jamesbow
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Having this same problem

I'm encountering this same problem. I'm on a MacBook, using patch 6 and I'm definitely using Java 1.5.0.06

I'm able to reproduce this problem by opening a file, typing something in, and then hovering the mouse over one of the toolbar options, like the save icon. Returning to the document, I am not able to type anything in, even after clicking on the document.

I've noticed and have tentatively accepted a workaround of switching programs, by hitting Alt-Tab, and then changing back. Not only do I find that I'm able to type in the document, the stuff that I typed while the keyboard appeared frozen, now appears.

I look forward to the fix of this problem.
jamesbow
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Intriguingly, after reading these posts, I notice some differences. Switching between applications using Alt Tab corrects the problem on a very short term basis. It's possible to repeat the problem using the steps I described above. However, switching between different documents within NeoOffice, using Alt-backwards apostrophe, fixes the problem on a much longer term basis. What does that tell you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

Interesting, it still works fine after using above steps on patch 6 test 1 intel for me.

I was seeing the freeze bug with patch 6, but not had time to test patch 6 test 1 to see if it fixes it.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

Is anybody still seeing this Java 1.5 "focus lost" bug with "Test Patch 1"? Or do I need to try something different?

BTW, I found that this bug affects nearly all GUI applications that use Java 1.5 and the bug isn't limited to Mac OS X. Just Google "Java 1.5 keyboard focus lost" and you'll see that this is a very common problem that, unfortunately, neither Sun nor Apple have noticed.

Patrick
barefootguru
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Is anybody still seeing this Java 1.5 "focus lost" bug with "Test Patch 1"? Or do I need to try something different?

It's looking good for me (thanks!) Given how sporadic it's been, plus I haven't been using NO as heavily since applying the patch, I'll report back in a few more days once I'm comfortable it's been squished.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

barefootguru wrote:
It's looking good for me (thanks!) Given how sporadic it's been, plus I haven't been using NO as heavily since applying the patch, I'll report back in a few more days once I'm comfortable it's been squished.

Even if it is not totally fixed, I would like to know if the bug is happening significantly less frequently. If so, I may push out an official patch to with the fix so that they pain associated with this Java bug is at least less annoying for most users.

Patrick
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: keyboard "freezes"

I just downloaded and installed patch 6 text 1 for intel

I'll be writting my thesis in the neo writer all day so I'll let you all know how things go

thanks for the work
assistant3
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: keyboard "freezes"

I've been working in the neo writer for the past 4 or so hours and have had no problems since I installed the patch test 1 fix. Looks like vereything is cool.

hope this works for everyone

-assistant3
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3