Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neooffice won't open
Neooffice won't open

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Neooffice won't open

OK, I've got the thing downloaded, but it doesn't work. When I try to open it I get a message saying "Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable." Can anybody tell me in plain English (I'm not a computer pro) what to do about this? The infernal contraption in this case is a Power Mac G-5 with OSX 10.3.9. Sad
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject:

Have you managed to install NeoOffice?

From the beginning:
* Got to http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php#download and select the version appropriate to your Mac.
* Click on the file in the Finder and type Cmd-I - check that the size is the same as that given on the web page.
* If its not have a look at this page in the wiki: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_curl_to_download_NeoOffice
* Double click the disk image file - it should mount on the desktop
* Double click on the Installer package - it looks like a carboard box
* Follow the instructions on screen

That's it installed.

Now double click on the NeoOffice application in the /Applications folder.

I hope that makes sense. If it still doesn't work, let us know at which point it fails and there may be more advise available.

Andy.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject:

Download this much smaller file first for test purposes (it's only 1.1MB and it's a very handy little free application to have anyway):

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/Freeware/CombinePDFs.dmg

If the same message appears when you try to open the downloaded '.dmg' file, then we are dealing with incorrect application association with the file.

In which case:

To open this document with the application you want to use which is called DiskImageMounter (a built-in system application)

1 In the Finder, select the .dmg file and choose File > Get Info.

2 In the Info window, click to show the "Open with" pane.

3 If the entry is not "DiskImageMounter (Default)", choose this application from the pop-up menu.

4 You will want all .dmg files like this one to open with the same application, so click Change All.

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
* Click on the file in the Finder and type Cmd-I - check that the size is the same as that given on the web page.

In the get info window, you sould find the size of the downloaded file : xxx MB (yyy,yyy,yyy bytes). On the NeoOffice download page, you will find the byte count for the disk image you downloaded. If the file you downloaded does not match the byte count on the download page, then the file you downloaded is corrupt, and you'll need to download it again. I advise you to use Curl as Andy suggested (see the link in his post above). Also, how did you download NeoOffice in the first place (direct download, Bit Torrent) ?

Otherwise, if you can't open the disk image (.dmg file), then it may be a file association problem, and Ray's post should help.

If you were able to download and mount (open) the .dmg disk image from the website, open the .pkg package, and install NeoOffice (which will then reside in your /Applications folder), but that it won't launch (or if you have a different problem), please tell us (with as much detail as possible).
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Neooffice won't open

skj wrote:
OK, I've got the thing downloaded, but it doesn't work.

Are you on dialup?

How is your internet provider?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1