Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to insert a subdocument?
How to insert a subdocument?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: How to insert a subdocument?

I'm writing a book, and I wanted to try using a master document to keep my separate chapters (each a document) organised. I created a master document. Then I came to add the files containing my chapters. The help file says:

Quote:
In the Navigator for master documents, click and hold the Insert icon, and do one of the following

I could find no icon which declared itself to be the "insert" icon. There was nothing about inserting files in the "Insert" menu.

So can someone show me which icon this is, please?

Cheers,

Dave
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:

owenkc,

I have not used Master Documents (yet) but I found the following in the OpenOffice.org2.x User Guide
Quote:
Double-click a document in the Navigator to load it for editing. Now the user can either enter text, such as headings, or insert subdocuments, by clicking the Insert icon (forth icon from left - Blue triangle on left of text box) and choosing the desired entry Text or File.
A new document “can also be inserted a by a long click on the icon to get the context list and selecting New document whereupon one “first enters the name and path for the document and then continues on to write the new document and save it. - ref page 117
Make sure you have Navigator open - to see icons.
If you have not reviewed the OOo Users Guide - you are not using all the resources available to Users.

Philip ( did I mention the OOo UG is 481 pages long Exclamation Wink )
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to insert a subdocument?

Hi Dave,

owenkc wrote:
So can someone show me which icon this is, please?

First: You have created a Master Document via the File > New menu & it is saved with extension .odm?

Second: The "Navigator" is an extra control window, which, if it's not in the foreground, can be called by clicking onto the compass icon in the main toolbar.

Third: The "Insert" icon is the forth from the left, with the + and the arrow pointing to a white square ("document"). You select first the element in the Navigator window, before which the document will be inserted (you may change the order any time per drag & drop later). Then you click long enough the Insert icon to get a context menu, from which you choose file, which brings up the NeoOffice file picker.

Martin
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

OK, thanks.

The Navigator window initially came up with two rows of icons. It was not until after I saw your post that I noticed the first one said "toggle". Then there was only one row and the fourth was the insert icon as described.

That seems to work - although whether it will do what I want of it remains to be seen.

Thanks anyway,

Dave
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

I decided to reepen this 3d because I have jsut seen what is written in the wiki about Master Document.
Since I use master Documents on a daily basis for my work I just want to say something more.
You certainly know the power of NeoOffice on using styles. Well, remember that master document overwrite all styles you use in subdocuments. This is because developers at ooo think that if more than one person are engaded to write subdocuments, when all have to put together you don't want to become crazy adjusting all different styles used. For example immagine that a person in Europe and one in the US cooperate writing a book. The european should has its page style set as A4, while the american has the page style set to Letter. Well, the document arranged as master document has page set in one of the two according who is arranging the whole (hope this make sense).
Unfortunately sometimes this cause a problem, expecially with page styles that are created as new styles. If someone is interested I can go forward with the explanation.

Valter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1