Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - User unfriendly
User unfriendly

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: User unfriendly

Occasionally I receive email attachments in some Microsoft form that my iMac won't open. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software just to deal with an occasional attachment, so I did some inquiring and was told about neooffice. After about a dozen unsuccessful attempts over a couple of weeks, I finally managed to get a completed download. But when I try to open the thing, I get a message saying "Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable."
Not being a computer expert, I don't know what that means, or what to do about it. So I found trinity forums and posted an inquiry. This morning I went to the page where I put my question, and found not only no answer, but found that my question had been removed.
Apparently the attitude here is that if you're not a computer expert, go to hell. Well, I refuse to devote my life to an infernal contraption that is supposed to be a tool, not the focus of my existence. I suppose I will tell people who send me Microsoft stuff to copy and paste it into an email, and if they can't do that, I just can't read it. I'm sorry I wasted my time on neooffice, and apparently violated some rule by trying to find out how to make it work.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

skj wrote:
This morning I went to the page where I put my question, and found not only no answer, but found that my question had been removed.

Are you sure ? Last time I checked, your topic was still here, and had been answered twice.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

skj, I have been on this forum for at least a year now and posts don't get deleted, unless they are spam. Your post was not spam.

Perhaps before flaming us you could have asked the question "How do I find my posts to this forum?"

The answer to that is to click on the View my posts link on the Forum homepage (where the different categories are listed). For you this will now show two threads. One, your original question which now has three complementary answers, and a request for further information from yourself if the supplied answers do not do the job. Two, this rant.

Remember none of us get paid for helping out on these fora. It is unfortunate that you could not find your original post, but it is still there - and none of the answers suggest that you are fool for being unable to get NeoOffice to work. Quite the opposite. We all want you to enjoy this great piece of software. So please don't be so rude to us, at least not until you've got to know us a bit better! Wink

Andy.
skj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: OOoops!

There's nothing to bring a guy down to earth like making a fool of himself in public. I'm sorry I let exasperation carry me away. Thanks to all who suggested remedies. I'll try to make this thing work.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Still happy to help... Anyone who says they have never got exasperated while using software is probably lying!

Wink

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject:

skj,

at least you make your mistake on a friendly forum. We are here to answer questions. No one starts out knowing all the answers (even Patrick and ED? Shocked )

I can't tell you how many times I have embarrassed myself online. Rolling Eyes

Philip ( Helping other NeoOffice users, because they HELPED me! Wink )
rainbowstripes
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: while we're at it

It IS a great piece of work, and kudos to everyone who contributes. Anything to help dismantle the MS hegemony is a boon to humanity.

Here's a thought, though.
>> Remember none of us get paid for helping out on these fora.

Should it be forums?

PS - Just installed 2.03 patch 10 and looking good.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: while we're at it

rainbowstripes wrote:
Here's a thought, though.
>> Remember none of us get paid for helping out on these fora.

Should it be forums?

The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary says: forum n. Pl. -rums, -ra
Merrium-Webster says: plural forums also fo·ra

so either is good, though forums is in more common usage these days. But basically you're asking for it if you use fora, as you are if you insist that data are plural, and that the singular is datum... Smile Personally I tend towards the view that it's better to be unambiguous than correct, if the two are mutually exclusive.

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Fora is the latin plural for forum. According to OS X's built-in dictionary, forums is the plural for web-based and other forums, and fora only applies to the marketplace in ancient Roman cities, but both are understandable so ...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Darn,

I learned about "fora" on these Forums.
I though I could ... "act" like I knew what I was talking about by using "fora". Crying or Very sad Guess I should NOT try to be ... hip? Confused (is that what the young folks say?!? )

Philip ( and it was from "padmavyuha" I learned about "fora"! Embarassed ) Wink Rolling Eyes Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I've always used "fora" myself but I did take latin in high school so I guess that could very easily be the source of it for me.

Screw it. It sounds cooler. English could always use more irregular plurals Wink

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

YA Exclamation

What Ed said Cool

Philip ( who wants to sound ... cooler! Wink )
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

Yeah, vout - my favourite has always been helices...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Screw it. It sounds cooler. English could always use more irregular plurals Wink

Hey now! "fora" is a perfectly regular plural. Second declension neuter, to be precise Razz

Smokey
/also took that language in HS
//still remembers some of it, too

Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

in addition: all the forms plural of neuter nouns on "a" in latin comes from greek... "ergo", fora is a very ancient word but the only greek text that uses it is on the "New Testament", the Revelation (Apocallipse?), but don't remember the exact phrase...

The first book that I "make ready" for print was a "Syntaxis" of ancient greek.. and I learn many things...!! Wink
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2