User unfriendly

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
in addition: all the forms plural of neuter nouns on "a" in latin comes from greek...

I didn't know that Smile

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
the only greek text that uses it is on the "New Testament", the Revelation (Apocallipse?), but don't remember the exact phrase...

A quick check of my the Greek New Testament (NA 27) in Accordance brought up Acts 28:15, referring to the Forum of Appius. It is a genitive singular in that spot, though.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Smokey wrote:
Hey now! "fora" is a perfectly regular plural. Second declension neuter, to be precise Razzi
sigh

SEE! - I told you that NeoOffice makes you smarter! Still looks ... Greek to me! Laughing

Philip ( was not "allowed" to take Latin is High School - because it's a dead language and all?!? Shocked )

\ What's next class - a test on Roman Emperors? Rolling Eyes
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject:

Oh, Lorinda, thanks: someone using Nestle-Alland 27... and a concordance... and NeoOffice... is very difficult to find!! Laughing I was wrong with the quote.

I started learning ancient Greek and Latin in 1993 and studied these languages for 4 years. After, gave Greek lessons in Salamanca, Spain (the book of syntax of ancient Greek that I mentioned in the last post was mine: I wrote the book and prepared it for print...) The latin language isn't dead, Philip: there are many people (most of them here in Rome) that use and "create" the needed words to say "modern things", like:
log out: exire
e-mail: litterae electronicae...
etc.

But, I hate that. Between "dead" and "live" languages, there's space for languages that you can learn not to speak, but to read in the original and find particularities or expressions, most of them "intranslatable", but that you can express using many words (like "ana-kefal-aiw-sa-szai" of the letter to the Ephesians or "Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram" or “quadrupedante putrem sonitu quatit ungula campum” of Virgilius).

Roy
aahh! 1: Philip: I want to see a photo of you doing "Santa jobs"...
aahh! 2: Days ago reading a box of cornflakes that comes from Greece, I saw: "syn amigdalas" (v.gr. with "tonsils") puaj!!! I went to my "Montanari" (an ancient greek dictionary) AMIGDALA, AS: almond... Cornflakes with almonds not tonsils...!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by RoyFocker on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
Oh, Lorinda, thanks: someone using Nestle-Alland 27... and a concordance... and NeoOffice... is very difficult to find!! Laughing I was wrong with the quote.

It is probably an unusual combination! Accordance is a great piece of Bible software, written only for macs. The Spanish localization isn't up to date, though, and there isn't an Italian one; only English and German. (They do have Spanish and Italian Bibles, though, as well as lots of ancient Bible related texts.) if you are interested, you check them out here. (I don't work for them or anything; I'm just a very satisfied customer.)
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
... The latin language isn't dead, Philip: there are many people (most of them here in Rome) that use and "create" the needed words to say "modern things", like:
etc.
Laughing Funny you should mention that! Shocked
I felt that same way. I wanted to study Latin in High School, in the late 1960's, because it's the basis of so many words, old and New! If I had studied latin, I would have had a much better understanding of words, what they mean, how to pronounce them.
Instead, I'm just a computer engineer that has communications problems! Embarassed

RoyFocker wrote:
But, I hate that. Between "dead" and "live" languages, there's space for languages that you can learn not to speak, but to read in the original and find particularities or expressions, most of them "intranslatable", but that you can express using many words (like "ana-kefal-aiw-sa-szai" of the letter to the Ephesians or "Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram" or “quadrupedante putrem sonitu quatit ungula campum” of Virgilius).

All true. In United States, we tend to know only one language, and do poorly with that! Shocked
Knowing how to communicate with people around the world expands your understanding of humanity. THAT is a Big reason I find these NeoOffice "forums" so interesting. So many different people, languages, and cultures.
It has helped me improve my communications with others, on and off the forums.
Code:
(note:  sometimes I really wonder what  I have written looks like in a different language!  Must be funny at times!  :roll:

RoyFocker wrote:
Roy
aahh! 2: ...Cornflakes with almonds not tonsils...!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I will work on #1, and thought #2 was ... Funny!

Philip ( strangely drawn to Trinity Fora! Wink )
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Say it with Posts - InterFora...
Blast, that turns out to be an Anglospecific joke.

- padmavyuha
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Smile Posts? InterFora?? Post Flakes... Inter - intestines! AHHH

Philip ( takes a little thought, but even an Anglo can figure it out! Wink )

\ Fora sometimes takes a little ... effort to understand! Rolling Eyes
\\ afterthought: combine Latin, Rome, Trinity and you get ... Shocked
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:

Hum - hoist by my own petard, methinks (Post Flakes?) - it was meant to be a pun on InterFlora... I had assumed it was an international phenomenon, so I thought everyone would be familiar with Say It With Flowers as a catchline. I'll go away now.

- padmavyuha

/Say It With Animals - InterFauna
\oh, is this slashies a directional thing? I'm lefthanded
|by 'Anglo' I meant 'England' rather than 'English' - so much for avoiding ambiguity
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Someone in the US uses "Say it with flowers", too, but for the life of me I can't remember who. FTD?

Smokey
/got the joke
//losing his mind
///swinging sledgehammers at OOo mail merge

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
RoyFocker wrote:
... The latin language isn't dead, Philip: there are many people (most of them here in Rome) that use and "create" the needed words to say "modern things", like:
etc.
Laughing Funny you should mention that! Shocked
I felt that same way. I wanted to study Latin in High School, in the late 1960's, because it's the basis of so many words, old and New! If I had studied latin, I would have had a much better understanding of words, what they mean, how to pronounce them.
Instead, I'm just a computer engineer that has communications problems! Embarassed

RoyFocker wrote:

All true. In United States, we tend to know only one language, and do poorly with that! Shocked
Knowing how to communicate with people around the world expands your understanding of humanity. THAT is a Big reason I find these NeoOffice "forums" so interesting. So many different people, languages, and cultures.
It has helped me improve my communications with others, on and off the forums.
Code:
(note:  sometimes I really wonder what  I have written looks like in a different language!  Must be funny at times!  :roll:

RoyFocker wrote:
Roy
aahh! 2: ...Cornflakes with almonds not tonsils...!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I will work on #1, and thought #2 was ... Funny!

Philip ( strangely drawn to Trinity Fora! Wink )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

hellpop,

You thought is was so good that you wanted to ... repeat it? Laughing
(I did, but did not think others would?!? Shocked )

yoxi, I'm soooooooooooooo cornfused. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Here I thought InterFlora was something that grew in yer stomach? (sorry, I was ... ill last week)

Anglo? Guess that leaves me out (and can't speak "English" either) Crying or Very sad

Philip ( Lost in cyber ... space! Wink )

\ slashies? I don't seem to have a clue.
\. I "thought" it might be a Slash Dot thang
/\ or Windows vs Macintosh??
\ = Slash, or left Slash (for the the Lefties?)
/ = Back Slash, or Back Slash, even ... Right Slash
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

Yes, there's the:
Say It With Bacteria - IntestinalFlora
version of the gag too, but I'd forgotten about it, and anyway it's too long Smile

As for Anglo, its specificity depends on whether one is referring to language or to provenance, so Anglo-Irish would mean specifically 'forebears from England and Ireland' but an Anglophone is someone who speaks any kind of English (whether UK, US, AUS, NZ, or wherever/however else...) so it's an ambiguous stem to use. Maybe I was being un/semi-consciously provocative.

- padmavyuha

//slashes to slashes, dust to dust \\
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

Anglo = engl...
fon (phon) = to sound... (greek: phonéw)

Therefore:
I'm a anglo-phone-chilean-userofNeoO-that-enjoys-posts-of-LemonAid!!
Roy
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
Anglo = engl...
fon (phon) = to sound... (greek: phonéw)

Therefore:
I'm a anglo-phone-chilean-userofNeoO-that-enjoys-posts-of-LemonAid!!
Roy
Annoying dancing banana ROFL (and kicking) Annoying dancing banana

Sorry, I was laughing so hard I fell out of my chair! Shocked

Philip ( "They like me, they really Like me!" 1985 Oscar winning actress Sally Field quote Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2