Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - unable to open Start OO.org although everying is installed
unable to open Start OO.org although everying is installed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonnie
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: unable to open Start OO.org although everying is installed

Although I have everything installed, I cannot get Start OpenOffice to open. When I click the icon in the dock, Start OpenOffice. org comes up as a Menu Bar. When I click File/New/Text Document, etc. I get this dialog box: Could not find OO.o program swriter. I do have swrite installed. Why doesn't Start OO.org recognize I have OO.1.03 installed? Using Panther wil X11 installed.
Bonnie
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Double-clicking 'Start Open Office' should first launch X11, then OOo. Does it manage the first part? If not, check its preferences are set to have X11.app as the preferred XWindow sever.

Are you logged in as the main (administrator) user - the same account from which the installer was run? OOo should work for other users, but it's one variable to consider.

Your home directory should contain a file called '.sversionrc' (without the quotes, but with the initial period). This file is invisible to the Finder, you need to use the terminal to see it. Could you start a terminal and type
Code:
 more .sversionrc

(and press RETURN)?

This should show the contents of your .sversionrc file. It should look something like
Code:
 [Versions]
OpenOffice.org 1.0.3=file:///Users/{your_username}/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3

Whatever output you get, could you post it here?

Did the installer program run OK? Any error messages fom it?

Errr.... out of ideas Sad . I can only suggest that you look through the posts here and see if any of the problems described match your situation, while waiting for help from someone more knowledgeable. Sorry

Luke
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject:

OK...if Start OOo isn't taking try the following:

If you installed Apple X11 from the Panther CDs and it's the first time you installed X11, when you launch Applications > Utilities > X11, you should see an "xterm" pop up. It's a window that prints the name of your computer as a prompt. Into this window type the following (there are only 2 lines...put the return between "filter" and "sh"):

Code:

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter
sh /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice &

This is the recommended way to start OpenOffice.org from a terminal (or xterm) under Panther and Apple X11. Hopefully after a few seconds you will either see the "OpenOffice.org" splashscreen followd by a blank word processing document...or an error. If you see an error, please let me know Smile

If you see any bizarre error messages it'll help us track down whether it's an OS incompatibility or something wrong with the launch preferences.
AUSTIN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: setenv command not found!

I installed oo103 into OS X 10.3.2

When I type into X11

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter

I get setenv command not found!

What to do? please.

If I try to just run the sh /App... command, I get this:

[1] 811

What to do?
Maveric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: setenv command not found!

AUSTIN wrote:
I installed oo103 into OS X 10.3.2

When I typeMaveric into X11

I get setenv command not found!

What to do? please.

Use export instead of setenv. Under 10.3.2 bash is the default shell. You only have tcsh when do an update and kept by your personal settings.

AUSTIN wrote:

If I try to just run the sh /App... command, I get this:

[1] 811

What to do?

Looks like OpenOffice.org at least begins to start. The 811 is the processnumber for the started OOo process.

What happens next? Crash? Splash Screen?
AUSTIN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:

After sh /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice

Nothing happens besides the [1] 811

When I try export instead of setenv --

clarence:~ clarence$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter

returns --

bash: export: `/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter': not a valid identifier
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shell commands

AUSTIN wrote:
When I try export instead of setenv --

clarence:~ clarence$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter

returns --

bash: export: `/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter': not a valid identifier

The syntax for setenv (tcsh) is different from export (bash). Use :

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter

Of course it would be better to figure out what is wrong with your setup, so you can use "Start OpenOffice.org", and not have to deal with shell commands. I suggest searching the online forums for reports of problems similar to yours - it may already be answered somewhere.

If you answer the questions Luke originally asked, and one more I am adding here, you will have a better chance of getting this problem solved.

From a Terminal window, type the following (inside the "Code" box), and post the results.

Code:
defaults read org.OpenOffice.Start

You might want to read the Troubleshooting section of the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
AUSTIN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Starting Oo from X11 terminal

Thanks, Terry for your help.

The bash command gave no error but the next line
returns [1]369

I ran the command you suggested
which returned
clarence:~ clarence$ defaults read org.OpenOffice.Start
{
directps = 1;
"dv com.apple.soundmgr._DV Sound Output Settings" = <7d000000 >;
oooversion = 1;
xserver = 3;
xserverpath = "/Applications/Utilities/X11.app";
}
[1]+ Done sh=/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice

I have a good guess about what the problem with the set up is.

I installed Oo on a plain-vanilla brand-new PowerBook which came out of the box installed with MacOS X Panther. During install, one of the Installers (I cannot recall which) reported that it was looking for AppleScript things it couldn't find. It is my impression that it was expecting to be installed under a previous version of the Mac OS X, not 10.3. I have scoured the online resources but most everything is pre-MacOSX, (e. g., giving old shell commands, or an online message which describes a Start OpenOffice.org Preferences dialog which does not resemble the one on my Mac (1.08b) which was part of the Oo103 install. -- There is no way to set the path to the X11.app. There are radio buttons to choose among three environments.)

On the other hand, the docs which came with v1.08b offer no description of the problem I describe. I have read them three times now.

Here's what the Crashlog says when I start OpenOffice: Host Name: clarence.local
Date/Time: 2004-01-27 12:02:14 -0800
OS Version: 10.3.2 (Build 7D24)
Report Version: 2

Command: Start OpenOffice.org
Path: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Start OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS/Start OpenOffice.org
Version: Start OpenOffice.org v1.0b8 (1.0b8)
PID: 1055
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
etc.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Oo from X11 terminal

AUSTIN wrote:
The bash command gave no error but the next line
returns [1]369

That's fine (to a point).

AUSTIN wrote:
I ran the command you suggested
which returned
clarence:~ clarence$ defaults read org.OpenOffice.Start
{
directps = 1;
"dv com.apple.soundmgr._DV Sound Output Settings" = <7d000000 >;
oooversion = 1;
xserver = 3;
xserverpath = "/Applications/Utilities/X11.app";
}

That's fine - you are using Apple's X11.app in Mac OS X 10.3.x. I don't know what that odd looking "dv.apple.com..." stuff is doing in there, but if it is a bug, it's not mine Wink and shouldn't cause any harm.

AUSTIN wrote:
I have a good guess about what the problem with the set up is.

I installed Oo on a plain-vanilla brand-new PowerBook which came out of the box installed with MacOS X Panther. During install, one of the Installers (I cannot recall which) reported that it was looking for AppleScript things it couldn't find. It is my impression that it was expecting to be installed under a previous version of the Mac OS X, not 10.3. I have scoured the

I'm not sure what the Installer was looking for, but I have not had any problems installing OOo 1.0.3GM onto a brand-new Panther installation. It would be helpful to know exactly what error you encountered and when, although I guess that would be hard to do now.

AUSTIN wrote:
online resources but most everything is pre-MacOSX, (e. g., giving old shell commands, or an online message which describes a Start OpenOffice.org Preferences dialog which does not resemble the one on my Mac (1.08b) which was part of the Oo103 install. -- There is no way to set the path to the X11.app. There are radio buttons to choose among three environments.)

I assume you mean "pre-MacOSX 10.3". I don't believe the "Start OpenOffice.org" preferences dialog has changed all that much. You might be confusing "Start OpenOffice.org" with other 3rd party OOo launchers (one of which I know you have to set the path explicitly). As far as I can tell, you have "Start OpenOffice.org" configured correctly.

AUSTIN wrote:
Here's what the Crashlog says when I start OpenOffice: Command: Start OpenOffice.org
Path: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Start OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS/Start OpenOffice.org
Version: Start OpenOffice.org v1.0b8 (1.0b8)
PID: 1055
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000
etc.

Now we are getting somewhere. Unfortunately it is the stuff after the "etc." that is most useful.

I believe it is fairly rare for "Start OpenOffice.org" itself to crash (mainly on pre-Mac OS X 10.2.1 systems) - usually "soffice.bin" is the one that would crash.

If you provide the missing crash log information (and still waiting for your answers to Luke's questions), we might be able to make progress on solving your problem.

Regards, Terry
AUSTIN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Thank you for your patient help

I sure do appreciate your help!

I'll answer Luke's questions (actually directed to bonnie, but I get the idea) and then I'll grab the rest of the crash log.

Or would it be better to uninstall, reinstall Oo?
Philip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject:

I've had a similar problem.

A couple of days ago I installed Oo.org on a brand new Panther setup with the current X11 downloaded from Apple's website and had no problems using Start Oo to start it.

Since the last successful start, I've installed Adobe CS; AppleWorks; and a bunch of Type1 fonts. (I also tried and failed to install Stuffit Deluxe - a dodgily printed product registration number prevented me.)

Now Start Oo gives the same error - "Could not find OpenOffice.org" - as above.

So I've followed the tips above:

export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/z-Program\ Folders/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/z-Program\ Folders/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter

sh /Applications/z-Program\ Folders/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice &

works happily to start Oo.org

/Applications/z-Program\ Folders/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice

will also start it again after the first start
Philip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:

Found a neat shortcut:

I used vim to create a text file containing the two lines which work to start Oo.org

Saved the text file in /Applications

Clicked on it and went to File > Get Info

Chose the 'Open with:' tab and picked X11 to open it with (clicked Always open with checkbox).

Seems to work.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1