Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1 can't save!
OOo 1.1 can't save!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1 can't save!

Hi,

I just installed OOo 1.1 on my iBook G4. It worked fine (or so I thought) until
I tried to save files. It just wouldn't! ("Write Error. The file could not be written"). Any idea how I could get it to save files? I don't have OOo 1.03
on my system.

thanx,
mp
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:

some questions and some suggestions.

did you install it under your admin account? (the one that you type your password in for when the system asks for it)

are you using it under that account?

suggestions:

try saving in various places.
run your disk utility to see if that helps.
mp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: sudo soffice destroyed OOo installation!

jakeOSX wrote:
some questions and some suggestions.

did you install it under your admin account? (the one that you type your password in for when the system asks for it)

are you using it under that account?

So I tried sudo soffice

Not only did that not startup, now I can't start soffice at all!

Here's the error I get from OO1.1.0 now:
/usr/bin/soffice: line 1: /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/javaldx: No such file or directory
dyld: /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/soffice.bin can't open library: @executable_path/libcomphelp3gcc3.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

Indeed the files are not there _now_.

In fact, this is not the first time it is happening. I went through
the same sequence of events last time, and then had reinstalled
OOo1.1.0.

Any clue what's going on? I'm using X11 that came with my iBook.

Thanks,
mp
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject:

OK, well even though 1.1 isn't supported yet (as we don't know where all the problems are...)

Check to make sure you set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH properly. If it's complaining about not finding a shared library, you may have set your path incorrectly. Additionally, make sure you haven't moved OOo 1.1 from its initial install location and that all of the symbolic links inside of program are OK, especially if you've moved it.

In general, you can't move OOo. You have to erase it and then reinstall it. It comes from a Unix world that existed before the wondeful concept of bundles and requires special trickery to allow it to be truly self-contained (trickery that I haven't figured out yet for 1.1).

ed
Norkle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: We had same problem

We had the same problem with not being able to save, and appear to have found a solution that works.

When we had the problem, we had done the usual ./setup -net install that we would usually use, and then a user install with just ./setup

However this did not appear to work - wouldn't let us save documents. Note: the -net install also warned about problems if you weren't administrator, which was odd as I was logged in as administrator at the time.

We uninstall'ed the user and net installs, and for each use just did a full ./setup install to the users Application folder (we usually only have 1 user on each machine). This time no warnings about being administrator.

Start OpenOffice.org now works properly, and the problems with saving have disappeared.

Does anyone now if it is necessary to install OOo this way? I thought I had heard reference to it in the past, but couldn't find anything to say whether installs should use -net or not.
Maveric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: We had same problem

Norkle wrote:
We had the same problem with not being able to save, and appear to have found a solution that works.

When we had the problem, we had done the usual ./setup -net install that we would usually use, and then a user install with just ./setup

However this did not appear to work - wouldn't let us save documents. Note: the -net install also warned about problems if you weren't administrator, which was odd as I was logged in as administrator at the time.

I cannot understand that this causes problems on your machines since this installation methode just works fine and as it should here on my mac since the very first 1.1.0 up to my latest self compiled 1.1.1fix3.

The trick is to launch ./setup net with a sudo in front of it Smile

The correct command to launch then would be:

Code:
 sudo ./setup -net

When promted for a password simply use the one that you use for the administrator account.

Or you do a search with google on how to activate the root account under OS X. But you should know what you are doing!

In fact the error message is a bit confusing but this in part is apple's not fault but bad communication about administrator != root. Which in daily life and use is good since if administrator=root you would be "god" and you can see what happens then when you read about all the worms and viruses that are spread and cause damage on Window systems only because people click on everything and are administrator by default when adding new accounts at least Windows XP does so.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject:

With the X11 setup, using the -net option is the way to use "traditional" multiple user support, e.g. the kind when you need to still run an additional setup on a per user basis. -net tends to be the most common type of install on Unix machines from what I can gather.

The IA based installers I've put together take a completely different tack. They do not use -net install, but rahter have OS X only modifications that attempt to do self-installation and configuration for multiple user accounts on the same machine.

The difference between the two that I can think of is who has what permissions to write into the "user" directory. OOo creates work directories and writs out configurations, and if a single-user install is attempted to be used by another user account operations will start failing if the files and directories are marked as read only. The modifications in the IA installer based 1.1s attempt to work around this by automatically creating a new user directory for each new login that runs the scripts.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1