Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Question about NeoOffice using Language packs
Question about NeoOffice using Language packs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Question about NeoOffice using Language packs

Patrick, Ed, et al,

I know that this is probably a ... simple / silly question but I would like to know for my own education. I have been reading the Lists over at OOo, and Neo fora questions about Languages.

1. NeoOffice uses Language packs and OOo X11 does not? Right?? (maybe I'm just have vivid dreams? )
1.1 I'm assuming that this is a design decision for NeoOffice - Correct?
1.2 Where can I find out more information about this design desision, and change?

1.3 It seems like using Language packs is a MUCH better way to support the User community. Idea
Then you don't have to QA each release for each-and-every language. Wonder why other OOo communities don't do this??

It's wonderful that NeoOffice can support so many different languages. That one feature make it very valuable to users around the world. I don't think a week goes by that someone isn't asking about their language (recently: Basque, Greek, Hebrew, etc) and/or SpellChacking.

I'm sure that I'm just missing something obvious but would appreciate knowing more. Tanks.

Philip ( Learning something new EVERY day! Whether I want to or not!! Confused )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about NeoOffice using Language packs

LemonAid wrote:
1. NeoOffice uses Language packs and OOo X11 does not? Right?? (maybe I'm just have vivid dreams? )

That is correct.

LemonAid wrote:
1.1 I'm assuming that this is a design decision for NeoOffice - Correct?
1.2 Where can I find out more information about this design desision, and change?

Design decision? No, it is a money and time decision. While OOo may have infinite bandwidth and (apparently) the time to do a complete rebuild of OOo for each language on each platform, we don't so we have used language packs to support many languages within our limited bandwidth and labor constraints.

LemonAid wrote:
1.3 It seems like using Language packs is a MUCH better way to support the User community. Idea
Then you don't have to QA each release for each-and-every language. Wonder why other OOo communities don't do this??

While it requires much less bandwidth and developer time, one could argue that do a separate build for each langauge is better for the user. Sun apparently has put the money to fund this approach for its Windows, Linux, and Solaris releases so they must consider it valuable.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Partick,

So it all comes down to a Time and Money constraint. Shocked

I really, REALLY, like the way NeoOffice does Language packs.
Yes, it may take a little bit more effort on the Users part, but the reward is that Languages are available immediately for each NeoOffice release.
The Users already have to us a Wizard to Install new Language dictionaries. That way the user chooses how they want to configure their system.
I would be be very frustrated if a new version of OOo came out and I could not use it because my Language had not be QA'ed for release. Crying or Very sad <rant Opps - Too late! >
It's all I can do to contain my excitment for NeoOffice 2.1 (with extras!). But I would rather have a stable, well tested, release than all the bells-and-whistles and lots of crashes. sigh

Philip ( Wish I have a way to tell ALL the frustrated Mac OOo Users that their language was already available. Rolling Eyes )
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:

Thank you Philip for the info. The details of those programs are very interesting.

Language packs are the possibility of seeing the menu in your language, true? I said on another topic that when you change the keyboard shortcut of a function the new shortcut doesn't appear in the menu (and if you use the first shortcut for another function it will be a confusion!)
Maybe we can ask to our "friends" of OOo to correct that?

Dictionaries. The spanish one is very little. I have added many, many, many words manually. Can help if I send to Patrick or Ed my customed standard dictionary?
There's no synonims dictionary for spanish... Crying or Very sad
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
Language packs are the possibility of seeing the menu in your language, true? I said on another topic that when you change the keyboard shortcut of a function the new shortcut doesn't appear in the menu (and if you use the first shortcut for another function it will be a confusion!)
Roy, I don't think the Language packs have anything to do with changing the Menus.
The packs just allow you to enter document text in the different Language(s).
Is that Correct Patrick, Ed, et al?

The Menus would only be changed if you downloaded OOo compiled for that language.

Dictionaries - Patrick does not build the Languages Dictionaries.
Those come from the Native Language Confederation (NLC) projects at OOo. I don't know all the details but there is contact information at http://projects.openoffice.org/index.html#languages and http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/.

I'm sure that they would be VERY happy for any assistance you may offer. Having more words for the Spanish dictionary would be a GREAT contribution. Thank you for your past, present, and ANY future contributions to the OOo community. You have already made several valuable contributions. THANK YOU again!

Philip ( Having Waaaaaay to much fun-in-the-fora! Wink )
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Roy, I don't think the Language packs have anything to do with changing the Menus.

No, the Language Packs ARE for all (ideally) of NeoOffice's communication from itself to the user - that's help, menus, labels, messages etc.

The dictionaries are for the user's text entry side of things - that's spell checking, thesaurus, hyphenation rules.

- padmavyuha
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Quote:

No, the Language Packs ARE for all (ideally) of NeoOffice's communication from itself to the user - that's help, menus, labels, messages etc.

The dictionaries are for the user's text entry side of things - that's spell checking, thesaurus, hyphenation rules.

- padmavyuha
Thank Yoxi, I learn something NEW everyday. I'm sorry to say that I don't change languages much so I had not tested Language Packs and the Menus. Embarassed

Just another way the NeoOffice is advancing the world of Mac users! Very Happy

Philip ( Ask a question, get ... LOTS of answers! Cool )

\hmmmm Being I asked the question, would these points of information be good things to add to the NeoWiki (sections about Languages & Dictionaries) ?

\\ Hmmmmm 2 - seems to me that this is a major Wiki Comparision point between NeoOffice and OOo X11 - How many languages do they really/officially support?!? Rolling Eyes
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject:

There are already articles in NeoWiki about languages and dictionaries :

Changing the Language of the User Interface

Activating Dictionaries
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
There are already articles in NeoWiki about languages and dictionaries :

Changing the Language of the User Interface

Activating Dictionaries
Thanks Samwise.
Yes, I know there are already articles, I was wondering if adding some background information about why, and how, NeoOffice uses Languages packs would help New users. Plus the following Quote explains a LOT , in a few words:
Yoxi wrote:
... the Language Packs ARE for all (ideally) of NeoOffice's communication from itself to the user - that's help, menus, labels, messages etc.

- padmavyuha
I know it may seem silly, but I see so many new users questions because they don't understand about Language Pack, Dictionaries and such. ( and NO, Language Packs do NOT do language translation for you! Confused )
I guess this would not be such a problem if NeoOffice was not available with so many different languages? But I'm GLAD all those language options are available! Idea To quote: "An Embarrisment of Riches."

I know that I have had to ask several questions, and review the Wiki articles you referenced, to get a basic understanding. I figure if I was ... confused, many others might be also? Embarassed

Philip ( So much to learn, so little time! Wink )

\ Now if we could only get folks to ... Read The Fine Wiki (RTFW)
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:

Ok. Something we can learn translating the articles of NeoWiki, Philip. Maybe you can do the "australian" one!!! Laughing and teach us how to make the text more "friendly" Wink

thank you, Jacqueline: those dictionaries will help me very much!!!
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
Ok. Something we can learn translating the articles of NeoWiki, Philip. Maybe you can do the "australian" one!!! Laughing and teach us how to make the text more "friendly" Wink

thank you, Jacqueline: those dictionaries will help me very much!!!
True, It seems we are learning a lot from doing Wiki (Neo and other!) translations.

Hmmm - "Australian one" - I don't think I qualify for this task.
1. Have never been to Australia, mate (not yet! Wink )
2. I appreciate, but can't speak ... Australian. Sad (per Aussie149?)
3. I speak a funny version of English known as - "American English" Rolling Eyes
4. AND - I'm not sure what you mean by "and teach us how to make the text more "friendly" Wink " Shocked
This may be caused by item #3 - grin

Philip ( I did look up "Red Mud" Southern Australia in Wikipedia to see where Clytie hails from. Cool )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1