Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki: French to English translation
NeoWiki: French to English translation

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: NeoWiki: French to English translation

I've started working on translating French wiki pages into English (where there is not currently an English page). I have a couple of questions in that regard.

1) the Master Documents tip page (http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:Utilisation_d%27un_document_ma%C3%AEtre) Refers to Neo 1.x file types. Should I update the English version to 2.x file types, or stick with a more "literal" translation of the French? I could probably update the French version, too, presuming that the changes mostly concern file extensions.

2) Which set of botlangbar templates would you like me to use? the ones with capitals or with lowercase letters? The Navigator page I did uses the capital letters (botlangbarEN) because the French version was botlangbarFR. I reread the Guidelines for translation page afterwards, and I think I did what you asked, but I'm not entirely sure. (I'm still getting my head around all the wiki terminology, etc.)

3) Is there a naming convention for articles on the Tips and Hints page? (http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Tips_and_Hints)

I notice some are listed with the names of the page in each language with a [fr] or [it] afterwards; at least one provides one name with various language names that are the links (Français or Italiano)

I also noticed that this page does not include links to German versions of these pages. (The Navigator page is also available in German).

Thanks!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoWiki: French to English translation

Lorinda wrote:
I've started working on translating French wiki pages into English (where there is not currently an English page).
Smile

Lorinda wrote:
1) the Master Documents tip page (http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:Utilisation_d%27un_document_ma%C3%AEtre) Refers to Neo 1.x file types. Should I update the English version to 2.x file types, or stick with a more "literal" translation of the French? I could probably update the French version, too, presuming that the changes mostly concern file extensions.

I'd go ahead and update the article to 2.x terminology (I think we might need new screenshots for that set of articles, too).

Lorinda wrote:
2) Which set of botlangbar templates would you like me to use? the ones with capitals or with lowercase letters? The Navigator page I did uses the capital letters (botlangbarEN) because the French version was botlangbarFR. I reread the Guidelines for translation page afterwards, and I think I did what you asked, but I'm not entirely sure. (I'm still getting my head around all the wiki terminology, etc.)

Yes, the botlangbar templates are the only ones left that still use the botlangbarXX system.

Lorinda wrote:
3) Is there a naming convention for articles on the Tips and Hints page? (http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Tips_and_Hints)

I notice some are listed with the names of the page in each language with a [fr] or [it] afterwards; at least one provides one name with various language names that are the links (Français or Italiano)

I also noticed that this page does not include links to German versions of these pages. (The Navigator page is also available in German).

Second part first: Originally I just linked to the initial version of the articles (which has been French in every case, I think). When valterb translated some of them into Italian, he added Italian links in case someone could read the Italian and not the French.

What I'd prefer us to do, when there is no English version, is

1) If there's only one language, do
Code:
[Translation of the title into English; linked to other-lang] [lang]

2) If there are multiple language versions, do
Code:
Translation of the title into English [lang, linked] [lang, linked]

Did I answer everything?

Thanks again!
Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the answers Smokey! When I work on rearranging the Tips page, I'll also try to standardize the links as you specified.

I presume I should add links to the German and Spanish versions if I know they exist?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I presume I should add links to the German and Spanish versions if I know they exist?

For the ones that have no English versions, yes, and hopefully the botlangbars on the French or Italian pages will point to German and Spanish versions if they exist.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
...hopefully the botlangbars on the French or Italian pages will point to German and Spanish versions if they exist.

That's true of the German versions in at least some cases, as that's how I know there are German versions of some of the pages! Smile
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I finished translating the The Navigator page.

I would appreciate it if one of our francophone members would check it to make sure that I've understood the French correctly. I'm afraid I wiped some of the French text that Jacqueline so helpfully posted for me before I realized it should be keep it around for comparisons. But the Calc and Impress text is left. The Calc section is the one I was the least sure about.

Also, could someone tell me what <br style="clear:both;" /> does? I looked it up on Mediawiki, and I now know that br is a line break, but I couldn't find a reference to the style syntax in connection with br.

And I learned how to add an image. Yeah! (LemonAid's not the only one who likes to learn new things. Smile )

Thanks!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Also, could someone tell me what <br style="clear:both;" /> does? I looked it up on Mediawiki, and I now know that br is a line break, but I couldn't find a reference to the style syntax in connection with br.

When there's an image that is "floated" (shoved to the left or the right in a certain manner), the float needs to be "cleared" to keep any following text or content from being confined to one or another column.

It doesn't seem to be needed on the Navigator page, but there are some pages where we do need to use clear (I can't find them right now Sad )

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
But the Calc and Impress text is left. The Calc section is the one I was the least sure about.

Every thing is going well, Lorinda Very Happy

I noticed that if I delete "clear:both;" after "Barre d'icônes «Document maître»" the title "Barre d'icônes dans «Calc»" is centered in the page, not align-left. I don't understand why I've not the same problem with the other titles ??? Also, I left "clear:both;" everywhere. And it doesn't happen in the English or German version, it only happens in the Italian and French ones Question Question Question Question

Jacqueline
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I finished translating the The Navigator page.

I would appreciate it if one of our francophone members would check it to make sure that I've understood the French correctly. I'm afraid I wiped some of the French text that Jacqueline so helpfully posted for me before I realized it should be keep it around for comparisons. But the Calc and Impress text is left. The Calc section is the one I was the least sure about.
<snip>
And I learned how to add an image. Yeah! (LemonAid's not the only one who likes to learn new things. Smile )

Thanks!
Thanks, Very Happy
Just read it and "learned" some new things. Looks like there is a LOT to learn about using Navigator. I was not aware that it did different things for different Mods (Writer, Master Documents, Calc, Impress). Shocked
Looks like there is much more to ... learn! Rolling Eyes

Thanks to Lorinda and all the others who contributed! What a GREAT community! Cool

Philip ( " I didn't ... know That!" Shocked )
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I was setting up to start translating the "Table of Contents" article. The very first line of the "code" is: {{handbook sidebar|Fr:WriterTOC}}

My questions are:
Should this "handbook" template be part of each tips page? (i.e. do I need to include it in the English version)
What is the English equivalent. {{handbook sidebar|WriterTOC}} does not appear to work.

Thanks!

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure why that template was there. Phillipe Perret created it, I'm sure with some future in mind, but it never came to pass. I just hid it on the French page Wink

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: translation of champ de saisie

what is "un champ de saisie"? Obviously, "champ" is field, but I'm not understanding "de saisie". It shows up the the Creation/Actualisation d'une table de Matieres section of the Table de Matieres article. (Please excuse the lack of accents, but I'm on a Windoze computer at a library and I don't know how to do accents in the Windoze world!)

Thanks,

Lorinda

/taking a short break from my other responsibilities Smile
/I'm better, but one of my kids is sick Sad
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: translation of champ de saisie

Lorinda wrote:
what is "un champ de saisie"? Obviously, "champ" is field, but I'm not understanding "de saisie". It shows up the the Creation/Actualisation d'une table de Matieres section of the Table de Matieres article.
/taking a short break from my other responsibilities Smile
/I'm better, but one of my kids is sick Sad

Welcome back Lorinda. Hope your kid will be better very soon.
A "champ de saisie" is an area in which you enter a text. In this case it's the area called "Title" in the "Type and title" section of the "Insert Index/table" window. But I don't know the exact English term Sad

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject:

Lorinda,
Please, note that the French version of this article has been a bit updated. In "Création d'une table des Matières", you can delete "Note, however, that the box must be unchecking in order to delete the table of contents."
In the remainder some other sections are a bit modified too.
And a section has been added "Création d'hyperliens dans la table des matières".
If you work with the old version, you may want to update it.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Jacqueline!

In English I think 'field' works, although there is probably a more correct name that is escaping me.

I pulled over your modified text for the Creation/Actualisation section. I'd seen Valterb's note about shortening one part, but it seemed like that meant ending in the middle of a sentence. When I saw the revised French version, it made a lot more sense to me.

One of us had already moved over the "Hyperliens" section, so it'll be waiting for me when I can get back to it.

My daughter is doing better, thanks. Hopefully soon everyone in our household will be fully healthy again!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5