jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject:

Yes Lorinda, you are correct.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:

I've polished Converting a Text String to a Number in Calc a bit.

I have a couple questions though :

- should we remove "the" before cell names (for example, change click in the cell A1 to click in cell A1) ?

- should "text string" and "number" really be in italics in the section titles ?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I've polished Converting a Text String to a Number in Calc a bit.

Thanks !
Quote:

I have a couple questions though :

- should we remove "the" before cell names (for example, change click in the cell A1 to click in cell A1) ?

No idea, your English is better than mine Very Happy
Quote:

- should "text string" and "number" really be in italics in the section titles ?

As you want, I think that it's a bit difficult for the user to understand that "numbers" are not "numbers" but "text strings". You see "23" and "36", but you can't add or substract (or whatever) them. It's the reason for what I used italics…

About the Fr version, thanks for having removed the comma Sad
Another remark:

The instruction Enter CNUM is not incomplete, click the sign "=" then Enter CNUM or even CN, CNU, as you want, and you get CNUM(), with the cursor between the parenthesis. When you click in A1, you get CNUM(A1) in the formula line. If you enter CNUM(A1), then clicking in A1 is useless.
I added "pressez la touche Entrée", it's more accurate.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
I added "pressez la touche Entrée", it's more accurate.

Yes. Now I understand your instructions. I also see that you've linked your article to the Italian version.

I've actually been trying to do the exact same edits ("pressez Entrée", then "... ou Retour" and finally link > It.), but you always beat me to it by less than a minute Wink
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

Very Happy
But you were right, the instructions were not precise enough. Thanks for having pointed that out.

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject:

I've finally translated the article about the Regression line into English (a bit delayed Sad )
Ready for polishing here

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I polished the Linear Regression article tonight.

Thank you very much for translating it, Jacqueline. I'm not familiar enough with the mathematical concepts to have tackled the initial translation myself.

Lorinda

I also finished the paragraph styles translation tonight.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I've started on the Page Numbering article.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I translated the page on Cross References tonight.

French version is here

In the process, I discovered that several things were out of date. The menu names in one section were incorrect. Thanks to someone's corrections in another section I was able to correct them without firing up my French localization of NeoOffice.

Also, the instructions for turning a cross reference into a hyperlink don't work; that must have changed with 2.x. Turns out the cross reference is automatically a hyperlink. I commented the French section on hyperlinks and edited the section on creating cross references to mention the automatic hyperlinks. It would probably be a good idea for one of our true francophones to "polish" my French text. Smile
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks Lorinda, but I restored the "Comment insérer un repère de texte" section which is right. I changed a lot the "Comment insérer un renvoi" section taking your remarks into account.

I believe that the "Comment insérer un hyperlien" still applies. But maybe it's worth to be improved. Thus I leave it in comments for the moment. Hope to work on it very soon, perhaps today…

Very, very little polish Very Happy

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Thanks Lorinda, but I restored the "Comment insérer un repère de texte" section which is right. I changed a lot the "Comment insérer un renvoi" section taking your remarks into account.

That's interesting. When using NeoOffice in English, the menu and window names are identical in those two sections. The menu/window names in "Comment insérer un renvoi" are a lot closer to the English menus, and that section appeared to have been edited more recenlty, so I just assumed they were right rather than checking my French localisation of NeoOffice. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Quote:
I believe that the "Comment insérer un hyperlien" still applies. But maybe it's worth to be improved. Thus I leave it in comments for the moment. Hope to work on it very soon, perhaps today…

Let me know if you can get it to work. I could see how to make hyperlinks for other things (bookmarks, objects, headings, etc.), but I couldn't get the cross reference targets to come up. I presumed things had changed between Neo versions. (Hmmm... there's a saying in American English about what happens to "u" and "me" when if I assume....looks like I should have paid more attention to that saying!)

Quote:
Very, very little polish Very Happy

That's always good to know.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject:

After puzzling over the changes we both made on that page (thanks to the history tab), I think I know what's going on....and it's because I was assuming things again! Embarassed

I was struggling with some of the French terms, like "repère de texte" and "renvoi." When my translation widget didn't come up with a definition for the first term, I went to the OOo Writer Guide and worked from the instructions there.

Turns out there are two ways to mark a "target" for a cross reference. One uses bookmarks (repères de texte, presumably) and the other uses "set references" (the method I followed in the English article, and "corrected" the French one to).

If one uses bookmarks, then the hyperlink instructions probably work, since bookmarks show up on the target list in the hyperlink window. If one uses the "set references" method, they don't.

I'm beginning to think that this article needs some major overhauling to
    discuss the two different methods and their advantages/disadvantages
    discuss cross references to objects like pictures
    discuss the different format options for references

But I don't know that I'm up to that, at least not right now. It means learning how to do it all in order to write about, and I don't have the time to do that at the moment.

Maybe there's a member of the Neo community is already familiar with all this who could step in and rewrite it?

When I have the time I will try to specify both methods of creating cross reference targets in the article.

If somone (like Lemonaid Very Happy ) wanted to go looking for other articles on cross references, I could create an "external links" category. That might be one way to cover the "holes" in the current article until someone has a chance to improve it.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

I just tried to add a hyperlink, and it works. I added some more explanation. Thus I uncommented that part.
In fact, there are several ways to obtain similar results, surprise ? Wink
The text of a hyperlink appears blue and underlined. So it's easier to find them in a document.

Please, tell me if you agree Smile

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

I was struggling with some of the French terms, like "repère de texte" and "renvoi."

repère de texte = bookmark
renvoi = cross-reference
Quote:

Turns out there are two ways to mark a "target" for a cross reference. One uses bookmarks (repères de texte, presumably) and the other uses "set references" (the method I followed in the English article, and "corrected" the French one to).

If one uses bookmarks, then the hyperlink instructions probably work, since bookmarks show up on the target list in the hyperlink window. If one uses the "set references" method, they don't.

You are perfectly right. Only the bookmarks appear in the Navigator and can be a target for a hyperlink.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the updating, Jacqueline! And it makes a lot more sense now.

I'm rather amused that with both articles I've worked on recently there are, as you pointed out, several ways to get similar results. I'm sure there are advantages to that, but it can also be very confusing.

Next time I'll remember to do so more searching when the translation widget doesn't get me anywhere. If I'd bothered to check the Word Reference site, I would have found a definition for repère de texte that would have helped me see it was referring to bookmarks rather than cross references.

If I need a break today, I'll spell out the two methods of setting targets, add one external link I found, and say the article is "done" for the moment. Very Happy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5